House Price Crash Forum

3 hours ago, Locke said:

I'm unsure whether you are being facetious, but that is money which has been forcibly removed from someone else. It is not free.

It's a tax relief on savings, its part of the money i earn not being taxed. 
Not all my money is taxed, thus that is stealing also?, i had to produce the original monies before i could get the relief on it, its not really taking from anyone else, unless you think the tax shortfall is being made up by others who now have to shoulder a heavier burden?

its called a bonus (free money) but its just not taxing some of my earned cash

Free money in a sense, but i still had to earn it to get the relief. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

It's a tax relief

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/help-to-buy-isa-faq#do-i-have-to-be-employed-or-paying-income-tax-to-apply-for-a-help-to-buy-isa

Do I have to be employed or paying income tax to apply for a Help to Buy ISA?

No. As long as you meet the required conditions (see ‘Can I get a Help to Buy ISA’, above), you’re eligible.

14 hours ago, CanAffordWontPay said:

But you only get the "bonus" if you buy a house right? So who without a job will be using the HTB ISA to theive?

Moot. Calling it tax relief is counter to the facts.

Besides, the government is horribly inefficient, which means that that "25%" top up actually requires far more tax input to generate. For every pound the government puts in, it is probably spending 2 or 3 to get it there.

I would rather the government didn't steal the money out of your paycheck at all.

4 hours ago, Locke said:

Moot. Calling it tax relief is counter to the facts.

Besides, the government is horribly inefficient, which means that that "25%" top up actually requires far more tax input to generate. For every pound the government puts in, it is probably spending 2 or 3 to get it there.

I would rather the government didn't steal the money out of your paycheck at all.

Didn't answer my question. No point carrying on the conversation. At least one thing we can agree on though is your last point.

1 hour ago, CanAffordWontPay said:

Didn't answer my question. No point carrying on the conversation. At least one thing we can agree on though is your last point.

Does it matter? You get the top up regardless of whether you are paying tax, therefore, it is not tax relief.

My salient point as well is relief vs rebate. Not taxing you a certain amount in the first place is very different to taxing you, then reimbursing you. Even if this were a tax rebate (it isn't) it is a very wasteful way of doing it.

I'm glad there are other people who understand that government is disgusting :)