House Price Crash Forum

Pensioners who own properties without mortgages should draw down money to fund social care

HOLA441

Pensioners who own properties without mortgages should draw down money to fund social care

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/05/16/pensioners-properties-without-mortgages-should-draw-money-fund/

Never saw this one coming :blink:

"He proposed that over-65s should use equity release schemes to pay a compulsory "Care Insurance Fee" of around £30,000. National Insurance contributions of those aged over 40 would also go into the fund."

I think it's time people protested.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 minute ago, fru-gal said:

He proposed that over-65s should use equity release schemes to pay a compulsory "Care Insurance Fee" of around £30,000. National Insurance contributions of those aged over 40 would also go into the fund.

Those who are unemployed or still have substantial mortgages on their properties would have their fee met by the taxpayer. 

Another step closer to the point where it's barely worth working in Britain nowadays.

HOLA444

So folks who have worked all their lives and paid into NHI and taxes, have been careful to pay off their mortgage, have no debts, are to subsidize the people who live on benefits and won't work? So they can have health care for the smoking and drinking they indulge in when it hits their bodies.....come on this stuff is rotten to the core.

If the NHS has issues:

1. Put taxes up for ALL, cut the handouts to those coming in and seeking freebies.

2. Make managers accountable.

3. Stop buying office furniture at the expense of MRI machines

4. Get the IT fiasco sorted out and stop wasting money on overpaid useless IT consultants.

5. Tell the obese and smokers they are at the END of the line up for any treatment if they keep behaving in a stupid fashion.

Just a few ideas and I am sure there are MANY more.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Unearned wealth accumulated through HPI should be taxed...and I am sure before long it will be but not because they choose to but because they have no option but to tap this resource. 

HOLA447
1 minute ago, Parkwell said:

We seem to have reached a point where simply owning a home means you are wealthy enough for special punitive taxes. Just tragic. Such a poor petty tribal nation.

Yes much better to impose punitive taxes on modest income from work.

HOLA448
HOLA449
8 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Unearned wealth accumulated through HPI should be taxed...and I am sure before long it will be but not because they choose to but because they have no option but to tap this resource. 

They won't do that because plenty of powerful people make a lot of money from increasing property and land prices. Better to target some ordinary folks who appear a bit wealthier and target them for an easy cash grab.

HOLA4410

Random neverhasbeencouldhavebeen has a random opinion.

Any pensioner faced with that would get residency elsewhere, pay no tax here and give them two fingers. Or they'd sell up or "gift" the house or trust or inc or whatever.

Typical Telegraph. The only amazing thing is that they're asking for a subscription. As if.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
10 minutes ago, Parkwell said:

I never mentioned income tax. I'd rather see income tax reduced and this kind of authoritarian policy never introduced.

Okay...agreed in income tax but given the established wealthy have been gifted more unearned wealth through HPI i think fair game to tax it.

HOLA4413
40 minutes ago, Benson55 said:

5. Tell the obese and smokers they are at the END of the line up for any treatment if they keep behaving in a stupid fashion.

Smokers have paid their dues - probably a few times over - and save the country a fortune in reduced pensions. I'm with you on the obese though - although arguably they are also saving us on pension costs.

HOLA4414
7 minutes ago, flb said:

Any pensioner faced with that would get residency elsewhere, pay no tax here and give them two fingers. Or they'd sell up or "gift" the house or trust or inc or whatever.

Getting residency elsewhere as a pensioner is almost impossible outside of the EU, and will be inside of it shortly too. Who is going to pay their health costs?

HOLA4415
6 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

Getting residency elsewhere as a pensioner is almost impossible outside of the EU, and will be inside of it shortly too. Who is going to pay their health costs?

It's hardly impossible. There are a few easy ways and it's not going to become harder "shortly" - it will take years.

There are alternatives, of course (some of them listed above), plus the Norwegian option: never pay in full and/or remortgage. Like 20p/month or whatever.

That guy is a moron. Whoever published it is also a moron. Much ado about nothing.

HOLA4416
6 minutes ago, flb said:

It's hardly impossible. There are a few easy ways and it's not going to become harder "shortly" - it will take years.

There are alternatives, of course (some of them listed above), plus the Norwegian option: never pay in full and/or remortgage. Like 20p/month or whatever.

That guy is a moron. Whoever published it is also a moron. Much ado about nothing.

yep the torygraph has gone the same way as the rest of the tabloid garbage!

HOLA4417
1 hour ago, Benson55 said:

So folks who have worked all their lives and paid into NHI and taxes, have been careful to pay off their mortgage, have no debts, are to subsidize the people who live on benefits and won't work? So they can have health care for the smoking and drinking they indulge in when it hits their bodies.....come on this stuff is rotten to the core.

If the NHS has issues:

1. Put taxes up for ALL, cut the handouts to those coming in and seeking freebies.

2. Make managers accountable.

3. Stop buying office furniture at the expense of MRI machines

4. Get the IT fiasco sorted out and stop wasting money on overpaid useless IT consultants.

Just a few ideas and I am sure there are MANY more.

Kick the oap out of the beds.

My last 3 hospital visits each ward was over 60% oap parked there. Nothing wrong with them. Using it as v expensive old folks home.

HOLA4418
25 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

Smokers have paid their dues - probably a few times over - and save the country a fortune in reduced pensions. I'm with you on the obese though - although arguably they are also saving us on pension costs.

Ive never seen convinging stats on this.

Yes smokers pay tax but the health for smokers is v expensive

HOLA4419
20 minutes ago, flb said:

From what I've seen it's tough, but not impossible if you have the money. Generally you are expected to be able to demonstrate how you will support yourself, which includes healthcare costs. Private health insurance as a pensioner is a lot of money.

HOLA4420
5 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Ive never seen convinging stats on this.

Yes smokers pay tax but the health for smokers is v expensive

True, but I do remember reading some analysis on it (ages ago) that suggested the big savings for the govt were in reduced pension payouts due to the much shorter life expectancy. So overall I am pretty sure smokers are not a drain. A heavy smoker these days might be forking out an extra £2+k p.a. in tax for 40 years or more.

HOLA4421
2 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

Private health insurance as a pensioner is a lot of money.

Not everywhere :) Sure, it's expensive HERE, but not in other (EU and non-EU) countries with a decent health system. 

HOLA4422
Just now, flb said:

Not everywhere :) Sure, it's expensive HERE, but not in other (EU and non-EU) countries with a decent health system. 

I'd be interested to see figures for, say, a 70 year old as a non EU resident in somewhere like France or Spain. I think for most Brits the idea of retiring in the sun is going to go out of the window after brexit due to the health care issue alone.

HOLA4423
1 minute ago, mattyboy1973 said:

True, but I do remember reading some analysis on it (ages ago) that suggested the big savings for the govt were in reduced pension payouts due to the much shorter life expectancy. So overall I am pretty sure smokers are not a drain. A heavy smoker these days might be forking out an extra £2+k p.a. in tax for 40 years or more.

Well.....

I dont know a single heavy smoker who pays duty on fags.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/pensioner-who-made-60000-selling-14726430

Evdn if tgey, most over 40 smokers are signed off on dla in their 40s.

HOLA4424
Just now, spyguy said:

Well.....

I dont know a single heavy smoker who pays duty on fags.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/pensioner-who-made-60000-selling-14726430

Evdn if tgey, most over 40 smokers are signed off on dla in their 40s.

You're probably right by now - I haven't smoked for 15 years. Still see people buying them in the shops mind, and the cost is eye watering. Even that is nothing compared to Aus where a pack of gaspers is £20 now - and people are still buying (and less chance of smuggling in cheap stuff there, as well).

HOLA4425

Can't see how holding a mortgage has any relevance........do not see a problem with free equity earned by just owning property is not used for old age care, something most of us would want when can no longer care for ourselves adequately.......no pockets in shrouds.......life would be fairer if all people had the same life opportunities, they don't, so will never lose what they never had.?