House Price Crash Forum
zugzwang

Four storey Victorian terrace converted into 14 micro-apartments

4 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Consumers of services, or at the most disposable goods. That's the way to go! Such limited accommodation is very good for the economy, means people will be out and about more contributing to it instead of hanging around at home not contributing. Just think how much better our lives would be if you're out all the time constantly paying to be distracted instead of ever sitting quietly at home!

They will be able to buy ebooks, music downloads etc, just nothing physical.

On 05/06/2018 at 13:36, zugzwang said:

Not sure if that's storage space under the bed, or the doors to another three micro-apartments?

ūüėā...haha..love it ..you have to laugh or cry.

But real misery for some hapless saps that actually have to live like this. Presumably they will have to sell their futures for the privilege. Forget having a life, children etc they will sit in their cramped and dismal bedsit brooding on internet forums populated with angry malcontents.

6 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

They will be able to buy ebooks, music downloads etc, just nothing physical.

If they can afford it...more likely they will consume little of anything and only produce.  The fruits of that production to be consumed by other more favoured groups.

I know we are all sick of "health and safety" being rammed down our throats but in this case I'll make an exception.

How has the "design" of that bed been allowed.  You either fall out the side or fall off the bottom getting out of it.  Accidentsssssss waiting to happen.

13 hours ago, quine said:

I know we are all sick of "health and safety" being rammed down our throats but in this case I'll make an exception.

How has the "design" of that bed been allowed.  You either fall out the side or fall off the bottom getting out of it.  Accidentsssssss waiting to happen.

Sleeping in a bunk without a barrier isn't really a death-defying stunt but the sockets in the steps really shouldn't have got past anything.

6 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Sleeping in a bunk without a barrier isn't really a death-defying stunt but the sockets in the steps really shouldn't have got past anything.

Even if there's only one person in the bed (nearest the wall) you have to get out the bottom of the bed onto a small step with no barrier.  If there's two in the bed they have to get out with one foot on one step and the second foot on another step.  It's nuts.  It's potentially dangerous.

On 7 June 2018 at 21:02, Wayward said:

ūüėā...haha..love it ..you have to laugh or cry.

But real misery for some hapless saps that actually have to live like this. Presumably they will have to sell their futures for the privilege. Forget having a life, children etc they will sit in their cramped and dismal bedsit brooding on internet forums populated with angry malcontents.

These will be for sale/rent  at a premium and described as luxury so not sure anyone 'needs' to live in this hutches. Happy to be corrected if these end up being the most affordable places in the area

I hope people vote with their feet and effectively Boycott the development and leave them empty. There will be somewhere better value than this to buy/rent....but it might not have a square sink though. 

9 minutes ago, thewig said:

good enough for a rental innit?

Bit racist mate :rolleyes:

alig-sachabaroncohen.jpg?w968h681

7 hours ago, Brendan110_0 said:

Battery humans, coming to a town near you soon.

Battery humans are prisons, free range humans have some available grass to walk on.;)

On 08/06/2018 at 17:38, quine said:

Even if there's only one person in the bed (nearest the wall) you have to get out the bottom of the bed onto a small step with no barrier.  If there's two in the bed they have to get out with one foot on one step and the second foot on another step.  It's nuts.  It's potentially dangerous.

Just swing your legs out and drop down to the floor.

Not sure if that's storage space under the bed, or the doors to another three micro-apartments?

4CEC72E000000578-5807125-Photographs_sho

It seems that there are no external handles on those three cupboard doors.

They appear to close neatly into the same plane as the two fixed supporting panels.

If so, then how do you re-open them? Fingernails round the edge?

Edited by The Spaniard

I was raised in a 4 bedroomed Victorian home in SW19  which had a ground, 1st and 2nd floor just around the corner from plough Lane, paid for out of the wages from my engineer dad and part time worker Mum who did a bit of cleaning and who also had 4 of us to raise. Today they are converted to 3 flats as all the others that are the same design, all of which I could not even come close to affording.

4CEC72E000000578-5807125-Photographs_sho

If that really is the future then watch the suicide rate shoot up

2 hours ago, inbruges said:

I was raised in a 4 bedroomed Victorian home in SW19  which had a ground, 1st and 2nd floor just around the corner from plough Lane, paid for out of the wages from my engineer dad and part time worker Mum who did a bit of cleaning and who also had 4 of us to raise. Today they are converted to 3 flats as all the others that are the same design, all of which I could not even come close to affording.

You should post that every time someone says that there were less dwellings in the past than there are now days, possibly true but not the same quality.

5 hours ago, The Spaniard said:

It seems that there are no external handles on those three cupboard doors.

They appear to close neatly into the same plane as the two fixed supporting panels.

If so, then how do you re-open them? Fingernails round the edge?

Could be those type you give a bit of a push then a spring pushes them open. More to go wrong, but it appeals to the type of idiot who laps it up because it's more modern than something horribly old-fashioned like a handle (in other words the type of person who thinks this sort of prison cell is a good idea).

I don't see big problems with this? If the aim is for student-accommodation-like dwellings then it's much better than many student accommodations that I've seen & experienced during my uni life!

Honestly, I would rather live in one of those (providing it's sensibly priced) than some of my rentals during my student days.

29 minutes ago, Errol said:

For ages 18-21 I can see it might be 'fun' to live there for a while.

E.g. if you are a student, there are other facilities available nearby, and you're only there during term time?

Great, so now you can shower and take a s**t at the same time. Human farming becomes more industrialised by the year. Roll on Hong Kong cage-style living.

hong-kong-cage-homes.jpg

23 hours ago, CentrinoDuo said:

I don't see big problems with this? If the aim is for student-accommodation-like dwellings then it's much better than many student accommodations that I've seen & experienced during my uni life!

Honestly, I would rather live in one of those (providing it's sensibly priced) than some of my rentals during my student days.

Good point. If they are compared with halls of residence its OK - and they have individual loos and showers - small, yes, but compared to communal facilities in a HoR? I stayed in the latter last year - they are let out in the holidays. Certainly these Hampstead examples are better.

6 minutes ago, dryrot said:

Good point. If they are compared with halls of residence its OK - and they have individual loos and showers - small, yes, but compared to communal facilities in a HoR? I stayed in the latter last year - they are let out in the holidays. Certainly these Hampstead examples are better.

these are not being aimed as student halls of residence though..

23 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Could be those type you give a bit of a push then a spring pushes them open. More to go wrong, but it appeals to the type of idiot who laps it up because it's more modern than something horribly old-fashioned like a handle (in other words the type of person who thinks this sort of prison cell is a good idea).

That's right, I saw a kitchen described recently in the Western Morning News as handle-free - how very exciting. It seems to have become an element of the 'wow factor'. Relieved forever of the burden of having something simple that enables you to open things. At last. Who needs a revolution when we have this sort of wondrous freedom and comfort in our lives?!

The micro-studios are astounding. I would be surprised if they can actually let them - really, rents are dropping and few people would put up with a place that you can't do anything in. If you like to cook, read, sleep, have sex or do basically any other thing you'd stick your head round the door, laugh and walk away. Not even the naivest of students would go for this, surely?