House Price Crash Forum
Smiley George

Small-businesses-at-risk-from-house-price-fall - The Times

Doesn't look like anyone has picked up on this yet so thought I'd share - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/small-businesses-at-risk-from-house-price-fall-2qmknt8dt

Premise is that a lot of small businesses may struggle in HPC because loans have been secured against the owners home. I'm a business owner and can't even buy my own family home, never mind secure funds against it, so as you can imagine the article wound me up somewhat.

Surely the best thing for small businesses would be the dramatic increase in spending power consumers would have if HP's returned to 3.5 - 4 x earnings. I admit there will be casualties along the way, however everyones a willing participant and all that, and maybe securing a business loan against one's own home is not necessarily displaying the best business acumen in the first place.

52 minutes ago, Locke said:

Tick, Fleas: "If you take a bath, we may drop off and die"

The Times would then run a story with the headline - Fleas complain about unfairness of parasite removal measures ...oh hang on 🤔

9 hours ago, Smiley George said:

Doesn't look like anyone has picked up on this yet so thought I'd share - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/small-businesses-at-risk-from-house-price-fall-2qmknt8dt

Premise is that a lot of small businesses may struggle in HPC because loans have been secured against the owners home. I'm a business owner and can't even buy my own family home, never mind secure funds against it, so as you can imagine the article wound me up somewhat.

Surely the best thing for small businesses would be the dramatic increase in spending power consumers would have if HP's returned to 3.5 - 4 x earnings. I admit there will be casualties along the way, however everyones a willing participant and all that, and maybe securing a business loan against one's own home is not necessarily displaying the best business acumen in the first place.

2 hours ago, Tapori said:

Yep saw that, only time i've found myself warming to Noel.

I'm assuming that you're suggesting that this story has more to do with banksters dodgy practices than it has individuals borrowing beyond their means and making bad decisions?

I have sympathy with that to a certain extent, mainly its another example of the sh1t-show we're in the middle of. I despair at what little regard the banks and politicos have for the hard-wotking families and individuals in this country.. i despair even more in the fact that i'm very much in a minority.

11 hours ago, Smiley George said:

Exactly and also if nearly half need this then more than half either do not need it or are competing against this type of funding.

Not to mention the problems with recruiting etc etc

Another example of high house prices and perpetual HPI being woven into the fabric of the UK economy ...the message is clear from TPTB..."our wealth is tied up in property, don't fvck with us or we will bring the whole sorry show down with us. "....back to work.

20 hours ago, Smiley George said:

Everything in recent years has been rigged in someway to give us lives none of us want and real market forces reject, yet someone/thing is fighting against us. In 2007/08 the markets spoke for us and crashed the corrupt banking system. I personally shouted for joy because I had been vindicated and we were now going to hopefully enter a new better world. But No, someone decided to save that corrupt dishonest fake world and we are still here today living and continuing with it.

OK, evil forces were at work, but then we were offered a chance to get out of the EU and all given a vote in 2016. I again personally wanted that, again it was my voice being heard and yet again I was with the majority. But we are now in 2018 and it very much looks like the evil dark foces are yet again going to block what I and the majority want.

Most want the prices of homes to fall, and time after time the media will report in a way that 99% of the population are against, the BOE and government will control the flow of new homes so the price never goes under the level they see for to keep an illusionary market going.

I swear, as each day passes I am slowly accepting that I am going to at some point give up on playing by the rules of being a decent hard working man who wants a better honest moral society.

Obvious that the lenders see security against property as a lower risk than security against people and their businesses.......no wonder we have such low productivity, fewer entrepreneurs, less competition and big business becoming ever bigger grabbing more market share.....property the only game in town.😉

15 hours ago, Smiley George said:

Yep saw that, only time i've found myself warming to Noel.

I'm assuming that you're suggesting that this story has more to do with banksters dodgy practices than it has individuals borrowing beyond their means and making bad decisions?

I have sympathy with that to a certain extent, mainly its another example of the sh1t-show we're in the middle of. I despair at what little regard the banks and politicos have for the hard-wotking families and individuals in this country.. i despair even more in the fact that i'm very much in a minority.

Well said. And no, this does not absolve any small businesses using cheap indentured foreign labour or BTL mugs!

Also, Noel's interview on RT is worth checking out. Many banks to fill their asset balance sheets stripped many successful businesses and no-one seems to really care.

3 hours ago, inbruges said:

swear, as each day passes I am slowly accepting that I am going to at some point give up on playing by the rules of being a decent hard working man who wants a better honest moral society.

This 100%.

I like to think I've given more to our society than i've taken from it. I served in the Armed Forces for 15 years. I left and started a business with some colleagues which now employees 40 people and turns over £5m, whilst making a half decent profit. However, whilst house prices were achievable 10 years ago, I was starting the business and getting paid min wage and using savings to help get by, a mortgage for a family home was not achievable then. Fast forward 10 years, we're doing well, i'm in the top 2% of earners now yet can only afford a 3 bed flat or small 3 bed terrace with no garden. Yes I could afford to buy a decent sized house in a nearby area with higher crime and bad schools...but why should I have to.

Not looking for sympathy, hopefully above goes someway to explain why i'm here... oh and i'm mid-forties as well so soon i may have to either bite the bullet and buy somewhere or admit we're renters for the rest of our lives!!

4 hours ago, inbruges said:

I swear, as each day passes I am slowly accepting that I am going to at some point give up on playing by the rules of being a decent hard working man who wants a better honest moral society.

I sympathize but who to vote for?  The Tories no - they are in charge now.  I remember under Blair people arriving in this country and getting given housing that I could not afford (probably happens under May as well) so no to them.

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

I sympathize but who to vote for?  The Tories no - they are in charge now.  I remember under Blair people arriving in this country and getting given housing that I could not afford (probably happens under May as well) so no to them.

Political parties don't come in to it any more for me, both are shite. If Corbyn gets in you just do what millions of others do, play the victim and get what you can off the idiot. You start acting like you can and want to take care of yourself and then you are in big trouble