House Price Crash Forum
nome

Radio 4 - The Walk: For Richer for Poorer.

25 minutes ago, thewig said:

Vile beeb, will not consume.

I don't disagree with you about our dear State Controlled Media... but it's still useful to keep abreast of the latest propaganda that they're churning out.

What I find particularly interesting about current BBC attitude is how openly and unashamedly bias they are when it comes to being pro LGBTT ''issues'' or supposed gender inequality or the plight of ''refugees''... and yet when reporting on things such as wealth inequality (as here) they remain meticulously impartial and objective.

37 minutes ago, nome said:

I don't disagree with you about our dear State Controlled Media... but it's still useful to keep abreast of the latest propaganda that they're churning out.

What I find particularly interesting about current BBC attitude is how openly and unashamedly bias they are when it comes to being pro LGBTT ''issues'' or supposed gender inequality or the plight of ''refugees''... and yet when reporting on things such as wealth inequality (as here) they remain meticulously impartial and objective.

I’m not sure it is of any benefit to keep up to date other than to  be able to engage when people start the classic  “did you see xxxx on tv the other night” conversation.

”no” works great for me.

The news is a control mechanism to make the masses feel fearful / angry / helpless / guilty and it is ridiculously effective.

Try this for an experiment, next time the “news” is on, instead of watching it, watch someone who is watching it. Watch how it is triggering them emotionally.

It’s not there to inform you it’s there to control you, imo.

2 hours ago, nome said:

Well worth a listen, especially the stunning insight of Becky the ''estate agent to the super rich'' and her stunning insight into the benefits of foreign buy to leave property investors...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b4y99w

Becky was a really nasty piece of work (ex Foxscum).  Remember kids, we need rich people who don't live here for London (and its restaurants) to survive.

13 minutes ago, dougless said:

Becky was a really nasty piece of work (ex Foxscum).  Remember kids, we need rich people who don't live here for London (and its restaurants) to survive.

A billionaire in reality cannot eat more than say a QC or a top surgeon.

I would rather have 1000 rich and their kids living in my area than 200 part time billionaires if one in 5 empty.

I just dont see the logic I would understand if a ticket to the lion king was 100k even the most expensive tasting menu in London according to this  article is "The Araki" which is 600£ for a tasting menu.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-most-expensive-tasting-menus-in-london-2016-8/#3-hlne-darroze-at-the-connaught-11

The last time I needed to take legal action against someone a decent solicitor was 250-350 per hour and thats Norwich so no doubt the London folks can afford this.

This is the problem with billionaires they can only consume so much and past a point its a drag IMHO.  It only really benefits rare assets.

Edited by Fromage Frais

40 minutes ago, dougless said:

Exactly my point, either she's utterly thick or she thinks everyone else is thick and believes her drivel.

How can a buy to LEAVE investor who doesn't even live in the country be supporting the wider economy by buying goods and services here?

56 minutes ago, dougless said:

Becky needs to jailed for money laundering.

I didnt like her. I also didnt lije the various non national living on benefits.

These people should be booted out. No other country in the world permits non nationals to remain with no means of support.

2 hours ago, dougless said:

This is called trickle-down economics. It has been thoroughly discredited.

Visited part of London I used to live in. So many shops and restaurants have closed down. One old favourite said all the people who used to live there have left (renters and owners) and many homes are empty now after being bought by people from abroad when the old owners died. Too expensive for locals renting to buy there now. 

I've tried to switch radio4 on five times this morning but had to switch it off. Basically this mornings offering so far...

(1) The heroism of teenage pregnancy

(2) The heroism of being a gypsy

(3) Acid throwing and disfiguration..

(4) Caribbean slavery

(5) Grenfell (on now)

(6) UK's broken railways (next)

Is the schedule some sort of hell torture for listeners.

Edited by crashmonitor

7 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

I've tried to switch radio4 on five times this morning but had to switch it off. Basically this mornings offering so far...

(3) Acid throwing and dusfiguration..

(4) Caribbean slavery

(5) Grenfell (on now)

Sounds like one subject to me.

55 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

(4) Caribbean slavery

(5) Grenfell (on now)

Explicitly or implicitly, each one is an appeal for compensation.

I used to  like Radio 4 a lot, did have some very good science and history programmes, but now aside from being generally dumbed down, every programme regardless of the actual subject matter has to have the usual ''issues'' shoehorned into the content (LGBTT, gender inequality, wimmins rights, poor poor refugees etc)

Jim al-Khalili at 9.00am was good though.  He does interviews with top scientists about their work.  Today's was about immunology.

20 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

(4) Caribbean slavery

(5) Grenfell (on now)

Was there nothing about Female Genital Mutilation or Muslims?  We have a Radio Four Sweepstake in our house where you have to guess the amount of time before someone says "FGM", "Muslim" or "Islam".  My best one so far has been under a minute.