House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Acid In The Punch Bowl

20 years of the Euro coming up.

Are the Europeans 'richer than asotrnauts'? - *

* - Except Germans.

Daft thing is that, back in the late 90s, the Greeks and Italians and Spainish and Portuguese Pols + Pop thought they were pulling a fast one on the richer countries, mainly the Germans.

And so did the German Pols + Pop. But they were prepared to 'take one' for the EU team.

20 years later .... look how its turned out.

Of all the scenarios played out in he 90s, I never once read Germans being able to use the weaker Euro (comapred to DM) and Hartzz labour reforms to become a massive money making machne off he backs of the (mainly) South.

11 minutes ago, spyguy said:

And so did the German Pols + Pop. But they were prepared to 'take one' for the EU team.

20 years later .... look how its turned out.

Of all the scenarios played out in he 90s, I never once read Germans being able to use the weaker Euro (comapred to DM) and Hartzz labour reforms to become a massive money making machne off he backs of the (mainly) South.

I'm reading "adults in the room", I'm only a couple of chapters in, but it seems disgraceful what's happened to Greece. Merkel, then makes out it was all because of the lazy, tax dodging Greek. 

Need to read more, interesting book. 

Edited by UnconventionalWisdom

10 minutes ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

I'm reading "adults in the room", I'm only a couple of chapters in, but it seems disgraceful what's happened to Greece. Merkel, then makes out it was all because of the lazy, tax dodging Greek. 

Need to read more, interesting book. 

Greeks are tax dodgers - beyond any comprehension of it in the UK.

However ........
By admitting lazy tax dodgers into the Euro, the Euro went down, allowing the hard working Germans to export even more.

Trying to use the same common currency to 'fix' failings in the German and Greek is daft.