House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
deano_54321

Those Of You Here Browsing - Join Us!

Hi There,

This is just a quick message to those of you who are browsing the site.

I dont have anything to do with the running of this site - "just" another member. :lol:

I started browsing the site about 18 months ago, at the time thinking of buying. Since then I have learnt AN AWFUL LOT and it has kept me asking questions of the market.

if you are here browsing, you are obviously possibly thinking of buying. All I can say is join up, listen to what people have to say and then, make your decision. You COULD be buying at the worst time in history!? Is it worth the risk?

Ask the questions and add you opinion. Its such a friendly community, and theres LOADS of help. This is a great site if you are the lightest bit unsure!

ALSO, IF YOU DO JOIN WHY NOT REPLY TO THIS TOPIC TO LET OTHER PEOPLE KNOW WHAT YOU THINK, AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF TO OTHER HPC MEMBERS!!

Dean :D

Edited by deano_54321

It takes a while but there is a LOT to learn here.

Some of the reasoning is questionable, but it always gets questioned.

Most honest questions will get honest answers usually backed up by some hard facts.

I agree.

use the search function as there is no such thing as the property market.

it is made up of lots of different ones.

I specalise in Paris at present but others know about different places.

Hi There,

This is just a quick message to those of you who are browsing the site.

I dont have anything to do with the running of this site - "just" another member. :lol:

I started browsing the site about 18 months ago, at the time thinking of buying. Since then I have learnt AN AWFUL LOT and it has kept me asking questions of the market.

if you are here browsing, you are obviously possibly thinking of buying. All I can say is join up, listen to what people have to say and then, make your decision. You COULD be buying at the worst time in history!? Is it worth the risk?

Ask the questions and add you opinion. Its such a friendly community, and theres LOADS of help. This is a great site if you are the lightest bit unsure!

ALSO, IF YOU DO JOIN WHY NOT REPLY TO THIS TOPIC TO LET OTHER PEOPLE KNOW WHAT YOU THINK, AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF TO OTHER HPC MEMBERS!!

Dean :D

Hi just joined today. Making my first few posts

Hi,

Been 'Lurking' for ages , finally making my 1st post :)

Agree with most of you on this forum that a crash is coming, but when the hell is the s**t really going to hit the fan, can't be long now surely :blink:

People & family I know think im crazy thinking that a crash is coming, even when I point out how much in debt & up the swanny this country is now in. I just get the argument 'It's different this time, house prices will never fall back'

It really is frustrating being made to feel a fool when all known logic points at this bubble going 'BANG' in the very near future.

Welcome DOWN WITH THE BBC

With a name like that you should make lots of friends :)

Welcome aboard!

TB

Lol. Thankyou.

I have been lurking around for ages too. Finally made the plunge

Bit like losing my virginity :S lol

Fancy helping me out?? if so tb

Hi,

Agree with most of you on this forum that a crash is coming, but when the hell is the s**t really going to hit the fan, can't be long now surely :blink:

People & family I know think im crazy thinking that a crash is coming, even when I point out how much in debt & up the swanny this country is now in. I just get the argument 'It's different this time, house prices will never fall back'

It really is frustrating being made to feel a fool when all known logic points at this bubble going 'BANG' in the very near future.

Hi Lboots. We're both newbies then. I have been lurking around for bout a year now. I feel the same as you. It's ridiculous talking to some people. They just keep burying their heads in the sand

Hi,

And a warm welcome to you too LBoots.

It ain't easy but stick to your boots and you'll be alright.

NDL

Welcome everyone!

I have a headache after debating the Nationwide today.

The monkeys I work with jump up all over the headline figure, but when I ask them "do you believe them" (a positive reply follows) I respond "So, you agree prices have fallen 4.6% then" (2005 nationwide regional breakdown)!

Of course, these monkeys don't believe the regional breakdown! It's beyond pathetic where I work. Comforting Lies I guess?

Oh, if anyone knows of a company that does not employ monkeys can you employ me?

P.s. No disrespect to monkeys.

P.p.s No monkeys were hurt in the debate.

Thank you for this thread Deano, a couple of weeks ago the site was moving towards a 'we hate new members' stance and putting in checks and controls to anyone new who dared to join, especially if they offended the old members. I have gained a lot from the site, especially from Dr Bubb's investment tips.

Kepp the good work going & keep the content fresh! :)

I get this all the time. I find people actually do one of two thing 1. Let out a Whou hu hu hu type comedy laugh, "Oh, year, you and your ridiculous house price crash idea. Of course they won't fall." or 2. slight fear rushes across their eyes and they very quickly change the subject.

I do think general sentiment is changing though, I've recently been able to get my Mum on board, and she's a Daily Mail reader to boot!

Hi to everyone.I am also a newbie to this site and already are addicted.I have seen a lot of very intelligent posts but have to say they are posted by bears!I am 50 something and have my own modest home.Yet I remember so well the last recession as head of a {now closed} family business.The amount of folks that I knew that lost their homes/businesses was to say the least depressing and many of those hard working people were not youngsters.

Sadly,I think it will happen again,and I dont think it will be long in coming.Yes it will be different this time but the effect will be the same although it may have more devastating consequences than the Thatch/J.Major crash.The younger members of my family have no chance right now-----not even of renting in the Reading area unless they club together and share a grotty flat in an area where you really wouldnt want to live.

I for one where one of those many people that after the last crash thought that many had learnt a hard lesson and property would never boom again in such a crazy way but there you go.I got that wrong big style!

Mybe even that young mortgage broker/btl guy that I have met recently{and he boasted of spending £15,000 in a year on cough cough ladies of a professional nature }might have to sell his Ferrari--------must admit if he does I may have a little snigger.

Well, I've been here for what seems like ages, but I seldom post. Usually by the time I get to see a thread, someone has already posted what I wanted to say anyway :)

It was such a revelation to find this site, as I have been a bear since when I moved here (2001) but of course no-one else ever agreed that it was a bubble and everyone tried to make me feel like an idiot. When I found it, it felt like I had finally found intelligent life on the Internet (and the UK) :)

Thanks to all posters! I have learnt a lot about spin, VI's, human nature and just economics in general. The fact that people think that current house prices are sustainable and OK is just mind boggling!

Unfortunately, now that the crash is starting to unfold, the sheer scale of the "thing" scares me witless. Unfortunately, back in the days when I wasn't as financially astute, I bought an expensive'ish car, but that will be completely paid off in six months (as fast as I can) and I just hope there will be enough time for me to save up a bit of a contingency fund before I inevitably lose my job to India (I'm a Unix sys-admin).

I feel happy that "I" was right about the thing, but it's definitely very bitter sweet. Tough times ahead.

Edited by Henrik

Well, I've been here for what seems like ages, but I seldom post. Usually by the time I get to see a thread, someone has already posted what I wanted to say anyway :)

It was such a revelation to find this site, as I have been a bear since when I moved here (2001) but of course no-one else ever agreed that it was a bubble and everyone tried to make me feel like an idiot. When I found it, it felt like I had finally found intelligent life on the Internet (and the UK) :)

Thanks to all posters! I have learnt a lot about spin, VI's, human nature and just economics in general. The fact that people think that current house prices are sustainable and OK is just mind boggling!

Unfortunately, now that the crash is starting to unfold, the sheer scale of the "thing" scares me witless. Unfortunately, back in the days when I wasn't as financially astute, I bought an expensive'ish car, but that will be completely paid off in six months (as fast as I can) and I just hope there will be enough time for me to save up a bit of a contingency fund before I inevitably lose my job to India (I'm a Unix sys-admin).

I feel happy that "I" was right about the thing, but it's definitely very bitter sweet. Tough times ahead.

Hi There,

Good post, and I wish you all the best. Hang in there and use all your knowledge and qualifications to get what work you can. Tough times are surely ahead, but you are in a good position compared to most. How? Think of it, you could have just bought a house (or flat!) for around £125,000, ready to watch it plummet in price sending you into huge negative equity AND possibly lose your job in a recession (I genuinely do feel for these people, especially if they were just naive and led astray by EA's). OR you could have spent all the equity you THINK you've gained through the value of you house doubling in the last 12 years (less sorry for these people - mostly ignorance of "I've gained £50,000 from my house"). All of a sudden your expensive car you will pay for in 6 months will become a minor worry compared to a 30 year mortgage you cant afford to keep up with.

Again for those thinking of joining, look at the amount of interest this site has generated since november last year on the below link!!!

Surely we are seeing something happen here!?

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_...ricecrash.co.uk

JOIN, DISCUSS AND WATCH IT UNFOLD!! :lol:

Hi all, this is my first post. I guess many of us are in the same boat. It's good to be able to see a way through all the spin. It seems that everyone I know has a smug, self satisfied air about them. Poncing about like millionaires. I'm sick of people who know nothing and are frankly thick, pontificating their views on how I missed out and even better, it's not too late to buy jargon. Especially when its from my moronic aunty who seemingly woke up to the ' buy a house and sell it next year for a 30K profit' theory last week!

I put off buying in Nov 2002 and have learnt a huge amount of information from my daily viewings of the message boards both here and at FT and housepricechat.

Its been a tough old journey but I can't see it me buying for at least another 4 years. We are renting at the moment and aside from the usual 'rent is dead money' brigade it actuall makes a lot of financial sense to me.

The views of people on this site and others, combined with the news blog links have really woke me up to seeing through the VI spin. The BBC, aside from the vested institutions, are undoubtedly the worst for this. Regularly I search out informed and balanced articles on the true state of the market and economy, before it is blasted out of the water by a spun out BBC report on web, TV and radio. Unfortunately this is the story that sticks with the majority of the public and the one that forms the basis of opinion for all the other witless morons out there.

Thanks for listening....

Stan

Hi

another long time lurker here, bit different from the majority as I am a homeowner. Found this site by accident, great to realise that others shared my views and concerns about societies attitude to money and debt and the scandal that is house prices. In the last two years I have watched a number of people buying large luxury homes, at that point I assumed they could afford it (inheritances, bonuses etc), it didn't occur to me that these people would take on huge debt they could'nt afford.

This view changed when a long time friend announced they had bought a new house, they have a history of poor financial decision making, MEW'ed their home 3 times to pay off debts. They had taken on a mortgage of over 250K interest only, self cert at least 6X income. When i asked why they were taking such a risk I was told " its what you have to do to get on, you have to follow your dream."

This dream is rapidly turning into a nightmare, for my friends and others, people are being manupulated into seeing huge debt as a normal part of life, it is very persuasive, my friend are in their late 40's they felt they 'deserved' a bigger house the media driven aspirational lifestyle has hooked the majority and created a distored view of what is normal.

As the parent of two teenagers I welcome a house price crash, i want them to be able to get a decent job and to be able to afford a home without a lifetime of debt I do not want to have my children living at home til their 30's.

Like many on this site you can often feel that a lone voice in the wilderness. the problem is that the VI tell the majority what they want to hear , we dont.

Hi

another long time lurker here, bit different from the majority as I am a homeowner. Found this site by accident, great to realise that others shared my views and concerns about societies attitude to money and debt and the scandal that is house prices. In the last two years I have watched a number of people buying large luxury homes, at that point I assumed they could afford it (inheritances, bonuses etc), it didn't occur to me that these people would take on huge debt they could'nt afford.

This view changed when a long time friend announced they had bought a new house, they have a history of poor financial decision making, MEW'ed their home 3 times to pay off debts. They had taken on a mortgage of over 250K interest only, self cert at least 6X income. When i asked why they were taking such a risk I was told " its what you have to do to get on, you have to follow your dream."

This dream is rapidly turning into a nightmare, for my friends and others, people are being manupulated into seeing huge debt as a normal part of life, it is very persuasive, my friend are in their late 40's they felt they 'deserved' a bigger house the media driven aspirational lifestyle has hooked the majority and created a distored view of what is normal.

As the parent of two teenagers I welcome a house price crash, i want them to be able to get a decent job and to be able to afford a home without a lifetime of debt I do not want to have my children living at home til their 30's.

Like many on this site you can often feel that a lone voice in the wilderness. the problem is that the VI tell the majority what they want to hear , we dont.

Welcome Aud! :D

Good to hear your story. Totally agree about being a lone voice in the wilderness although I am noticing that things are changing slowly. Slowly there seem to be a few people starting to express doubts where they would never have done so before.

Any other long time lurkers out there?

Don't be shy, tell us your story.

Hi all, this is my first post. I guess many of us are in the same boat. It's good to be able to see a way through all the spin. It seems that everyone I know has a smug, self satisfied air about them. Poncing about like millionaires. I'm sick of people who know nothing and are frankly thick, pontificating their views on how I missed out and even better, it's not too late to buy jargon. Especially when its from my moronic aunty who seemingly woke up to the ' buy a house and sell it next year for a 30K profit' theory last week!

. . .

Stan

Absolutely right, and welcome to the boards.

Even worse are the posters who challenge non-owner's adulthood (you're afraid to take the risk, you'll always be waiting to buy etc etc).

Hi All

I've been lurking for years and recently plucked up courage to make my first post.

I lost a third of the value of my first house in the last crash, but it was a low cost home and I had a good salary so was not a disaster - and I've since made a lot of money on a property (STR).

I'm now living in London and petrified of repeating my first house-buying disaster at London prices. It's happened before, I see no reason to believe that the nature of markets and human psychology has changed so much that it won't happened again.

Thanks for all your valuable views and insights over the last few years - it's good to have a source for alternative information to counter the VI spin that my colleagues take at face value.