House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Huge 60% rise in food redistribution to people in need across UK

Huge rise in food redistribution to people in need across UK

Charity FareShare is feeding three quarters of a million people a week with food that would otherwise go to waste – a 60% rise since last year

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/28/huge-rise-in-food-redistribution-to-people-in-need-across-uk

25 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Charity FareShare is feeding three quarters of a million people a week with food that would otherwise go to waste – a 60% rise since last year

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/28/huge-rise-in-food-redistribution-to-people-in-need-across-uk

Isn’t this just simply a good thing? Food not being wasted? For my parents  generation, the idea of throwing good food away was the worst sin imaginable. Now it is organised that it is not - great: unless you believe that society should be so bounteous that every developed country should happily chuck good food out.

2 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Isn’t this just simply a good thing? Food not being wasted? For my parents  generation, the idea of throwing good food away was the worst sin imaginable. Now it is organised that it is not - great: unless you believe that society should be so bounteous that every developed country should happily chuck good food out.

Or doing that old fashioned thing - cooking.

The average brit is as far from stsrving as you can be without being in a diabetic coma.

32 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Ill rewrite that headline

Dumb christian charity finds an almost limitless demand for free food.

Edited by spyguy

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Or doing that old fashioned thing - cooking.

The average brit is as far from stsrving as you can be without being in a diabetic coma.

Indeed, i am glad that my mum and dad instilled that in me. If I have to chuck food out, occasionally happens by mistake, I feel a deep sense of loss. Should be like that too.

2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Ill rewrite that headline

Dumb christian charity finds an almost limitless demand for free food.

There is no limit of demand for free food. A charity defines itself by how much demand there is for free food and performs surveys on how many use its facilities. If the number declines, redefine who has access simples.

I can't believe how cheap food is. I spend virtually nothing on food although I admit I am a "reduced yellow sticker" hound. Got bag of reduced potatoes the other day 17p and got the start of a meal right there. How can you be too poor to buy food?

1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

I can't believe how cheap food is. I spend virtually nothing on food although I admit I am a "reduced yellow sticker" hound. Got bag of reduced potatoes the other day 17p and got the start of a meal right there. How can you be too poor to buy food?

My stepson and his partner have a budget of £100 per month in London for food and make it nearly every month. Eat well too when I have been round theres

1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

Optimum food supply is an aldi for tins and dried stuff. And a good fresh fruit n veg market - stuff in boxes.

There was that dumb tv show with hugh feranleywhatsit complaining about limit food supply for people on Walker newcastle.

Theres a huge fcking Morrisons about 20min walk away. Or they could bus to the bigg market in toon for a couple of quid.

Nope. Too poor. Do they just buy pizza and kebabs.

most people are too FAT and lazy to dodge the easy (expensive) convenience option and pay for their FATness and laziness through getting FATter and lazier as a result.

I call this the FAT cycle.

See the source image

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Yes..food in supermarket is amazingly cheap. I went for a light lunch with friend at a nice but not exceptional pub today and spent more on two light lunches and two drinks than I will spend on food in supermarket for my self for a week.

Like a lot of cost in modern England much of the price of meal in pub will be rent.

If you cook for yourself sensible good it is very cheap and a fraction of other living expenses such as rent and taxes.

If anything I think food is too cheap hence the appalling waste.