House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

So after reading here for quite a while and saving hard for a number of years I am in the fortunate position of having a pretty substantial sum of money. (100k+) 

I was originally going to buy a house and use the money for a hefty deposit to access better mortgage rates. However now I’ve worked and saved so hard I feel pissed off that I am only half way to owning a house in my area and feel reluctant to actually part with the security. The peace of mind having that sort of money available is not something I’d give up easily now. If I save hard for another 6-12 months I’ll be on my way to 120k.

Anyway my question is this - could I invest 100k to generate an income to pay towards a mortgage? I could put a 20% deposit down in my area and still have this sum in the bank. (Assume I’m a novice at this!) 

I have taken financial advice and their advice was to get into buy to let or get a passive tracker if I wasn’t going to put all the money into a house to live in.

I do need and want a house as I have two small children and need a solid base but I feel pretty reluctant to hand that sum over to someone who has made a similar amount just by buying at the right time. 

If I put 20k down as a deposit where could I put £100k to help generate an income? Or is there a better way?