House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Myco

EU GDPR Landlord Compliance.

Hello there, long time lurker here, decided I've finally got something I could add to the conversation.

With the new GDPR coming out tomorrow this could be a major problem for landlords as I cannot imagine many will be compliant even if they have taken the time to read up and pay the yearly fees etc.(£30 a year for most Landlords I believe.)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/22/17378688/gdpr-general-data-protection-regulation-eu

With a request to view the information needing to be complied with and having a maximum time limit of 30 days this could be a major problem for them.

The requests must also be complied with for free, creating potentially a giant amount of work for zero cost to tenants, there is also the right to "Data portability" potentially allowing tenants to have their referencing and other information/services the tenant might have to pay for to pass on to the next lettings agent/landlord.

"If an EU resident submits a data subject request, a company has 30 days to respond. Say a company gets one of these requests, but they still aren’t completely GDPR-compliant and literally incapable of responding. If the company fails to respond, the data subject can then file a complaint with their local regulator.

The GDPR requires the regulator to do something to enforce the law. It might not be a 4 percent fine, but they can’t just forward the complaints straight to the wastebasket. “If they get hit with 10,000 complaints in the first month, they’re going to be in trouble,” says Straight. Seventeen of 24 European regulators surveyed by Reuters earlier this month said they weren’t ready for the new law to come into effect because they didn’t yet have the funding or the legal powers to fulfill their duties."

Any landlord that uses an Agent to deal with the lettings would surely fall afoul of this, expecting the agent to deal with all of the required work. If they get a single email or use their computer/phone and have any of your information passed along will not be expecting to have to comply with all these rules.

https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/data-protection-legislation-for-landlords.shtml

On top of this requesting all information be erased after a tenancy has ended could also be annoying and costly for the Landlords after a tenancy has ended.

Having read a few posts about people having been told/expecting their Landlord to evict them has anyone got ready to use these new Regulations to have some fun at the Landlords expense? Seems like it will be very cost efficient and fun.

13 minutes ago, Myco said:

With the new GDPR coming out tomorrow this could be a major problem for landlords as I cannot imagine many will be compliant even if they have taken the time to read up and pay the yearly fees etc.(£30 a year for most Landlords I believe.)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/22/17378688/gdpr-general-data-protection-regulation-eu

Based on the number of BTL landlords who still struggle with paying tenants' deposits into protection schemes despite their responsibilities being all but spelled out to them, I think there's a very good chance that very few understand their responsibilities, or the potentially expensive penalties for getting things wrong. 

As for generating unnecessary work for LLs, let's not sink to that level. Whilst it would undoubtedly be amusing on some levels, we're better than that 🙂

That said, if mishandling my data caused me any grief, I would not hesitate to bring GDPR into play.

6 hours ago, Myco said:

Hello there, long time lurker here, decided I've finally got something I could add to the conversation.

With a request to view the information needing to be complied with and having a maximum time limit of 30 days this could be a major problem for them.

The requests must also be complied with for free, creating potentially a giant amount of work for zero cost to tenants, there is also the right to "Data portability" potentially allowing tenants to have their referencing and other information/services the tenant might have to pay for to pass on to the next lettings agent/landlord.

Very interesting, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum :)

Even better, start sending these requests to Remoaner organisations such as Tory groups and see how they feel about their favourite dictatorship once it threatens this scale of violence against them.

There is quite a big thread on this over on property 118. 

But I think that a lot are exaggerating the impact. As long as you stay within current data privacy standards, only keep the minimum amount of client data and destroy what you don't need any more, then you should be fine.