• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Update - April 4th 2021

I'm sorry to announce that Property Log Pro will not be accepting any new registrations. All Pro users have been refunded and emailed. Those who did sign up can still log in and use it until the end of the month.

The Pro tool I created is just not appealing to 99.9% of my users and instead I am going to focus on the Chrome extension.

HOLA445
HOLA446
5 hours ago, GettingBored said:

Update - April 4th 2021

I'm sorry to announce that Property Log Pro will not be accepting any new registrations. All Pro users have been refunded and emailed. Those who did sign up can still log in and use it until the end of the month.

The Pro tool I created is just not appealing to 99.9% of my users and instead I am going to focus on the Chrome extension.

Sorry to hear this GB, I know how much work you put into this.

Good luck with your continued work on the Chrome extension though. 

I know you say FM's here do contibute to that, so do continue to post here now and again, it should help serve as a reminder to myself and other FM's to continue to contribute towards your excellent chrome extension.

HOLA447
4 hours ago, FTB-house-hunter said:

The extension is a great tool.  I know you probably don't want to, but if donations are not bring in enough to cover the server costs etc, I would go with adverts to help.

Thanks, glad you find it useful. Using ads is a bit of a grey area unfortunately and Google have very strict guidelines on using them hence why I've avoided this route (plus I don't like them anyway).

1 hour ago, moonriver said:

I know you say FM's here do contibute to that, so do continue to post here now and again, it should help serve as a reminder to myself and other FM's to continue to contribute towards your excellent chrome extension.

Thanks moonriver. I have disabled all donation messages in the Chrome extension, changed the page on my website and have instead gone down a different route. It'll be highly unpopular with a lot of users but it's the only way I can keep the extension going.

If a user exceeds a certain number of API requests per month they'll need to subscribe. I don't feel comfortable accepting donations anymore when I'm going to be charging some users. Let's hope this new system will allow me to break even!

I know I keep saying it but thank you to everyone who has donated over the last 3 years, without you it wouldn't exist.

I will have to accept the fact that a LOT of people won't want to subscribe and will probably uninstall the extension but c'est la vie.

HOLA448
6 hours ago, moonriver said:

I echo moon river's comments.  

Sorry to hear this @GettingBored but happy to subscribe given the rationale above.

HOLA449
13 hours ago, GettingBored said:

I will have to accept the fact that a LOT of people won't want to subscribe and will probably uninstall the extension but c'est la vie.

Hope not, but I do wonder if estate agents will be too tight to subscribe now? 😄

I too am happy to subscribe. I do hope the suscriptions can cover your costs, especially bearing in mind all the work you put into it.

HOLA4410
23 hours ago, GettingBored said:

Thanks moonriver. I have disabled all donation messages in the Chrome extension, changed the page on my website and have instead gone down a different route. It'll be highly unpopular with a lot of users but it's the only way I can keep the extension going.

Subscribed.

Great work as always GB, hope you get enough subscribers to make all your efforts worthwhile.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

@GettingBored There seems to be a problem...t'would appear that your efforts are not being appreciated in some circles!

image.png.d045c638370bb6fda1c894dfe6e6d9f6.png

Price Change History
04/12/2020 Price changed from 000000000 to £950,000
28/10/2020 Price changed from 00000000000 to 000000000
29/09/2020 Price changed from 00000000000 to 00000000000
14/08/2020

Initial entry found: 00000000000

Edited by Roman Roady

HOLA4413

@Roman Roady This is normal, the zeroes are there to stop people from copying and pasting the price history into a text editor to reveal the actual price.

I had to implement the blurring of prices for some users (the top 5%) as I am trying to break even on server costs.

I'll drop you a PM in a moment as I want to give you free unrestricted access as you are keeping the price drop thread alive.

Edited by GettingBored

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 minute ago, FTB-house-hunter said:

How many properties can you view before the prices become blurred?  I think they system is a much better solution then ads or a hefty monthly fee!

It's calculated based on average usage over a rolling period, I'd rather not disclose the actual calculation but it's generous IMO. 95% of users won't be restricted and will never see blurred prices.

I can't go down the ads route, it breaks Google's TOS (plus I dislike them anyway). I think £1.99 a month is pretty cheap but very few people have subscribed. My uninstall rate has shot up massively and a lot of people are unhappy about it but at the end of the day I'm not a charity. Over the last 3 years I've sunk £3000+ of my own money into running it and hundreds (maybe even thousands) of hours maintaining it.

HOLA4417
3 hours ago, GettingBored said:

It's calculated based on average usage over a rolling period, I'd rather not disclose the actual calculation but it's generous IMO. 95% of users won't be restricted and will never see blurred prices.

I can't go down the ads route, it breaks Google's TOS (plus I dislike them anyway). I think £1.99 a month is pretty cheap but very few people have subscribed. My uninstall rate has shot up massively and a lot of people are unhappy about it but at the end of the day I'm not a charity. Over the last 3 years I've sunk £3000+ of my own money into running it and hundreds (maybe even thousands) of hours maintaining it.

Well worth the £1.99 if you ask me.  I noticed the first day things changed, I had blurred prices on the second page, but recently I can look at all 8ish pages for my search area, and see all the data.  I imagine you have tweaked things a little in order to work out a balance?  What ever happens in the future, I am glad you made the add on.  It really is such a helpful tool and will earn a decent donation from me should I (ever) manage to afford a decent house, at a decent price!

HOLA4418
11 hours ago, FTB-house-hunter said:

Well worth the £1.99 if you ask me.  I noticed the first day things changed, I had blurred prices on the second page, but recently I can look at all 8ish pages for my search area, and see all the data.  I imagine you have tweaked things a little in order to work out a balance?  What ever happens in the future, I am glad you made the add on.  It really is such a helpful tool and will earn a decent donation from me should I (ever) manage to afford a decent house, at a decent price!

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I've had to tweak it a couple of times to find the right balance as ultimately there are so many ways to do it.

There is no point in going nuclear as the extension relies on users to find the prices, with no users then the price history won't be as up to date (or could be missing) in some places. The current user base provides pretty good coverage at the moment and I don't want to jeopardise that hence the generous allowance.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4419

Just wondering if the subscription model was generating better incomes towards your quite substantial investment of money and time?  As mentioned by @FTB-house-hunter above it is a great tool, and I will also donate a decent wedge if I ever get to a position of buying a decent house at a decent price (which is why we are all here, after all).

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420

Catching up on some house prices and it seems that the new subcription model ie £1.99 a month is blurring out prices but not doubt collecting the prices. Which is a shame as i was happy to spend my time trawling the web to get property logs prices up to date, but not for a price of 1.99 per month. So im afraid ive removed the extension.

Does anyone know of another similar way to get price history?

Thanks,

HOLA4421

There is another plug-in called Property Tracker which does the same thing but not as well (prices don't appear unless you hover over it and sometimes have to reload the page to get it to work). 

It is free though.

HOLA4422
On 08/05/2021 at 17:07, danlee74 said:

Just wondering if the subscription model was generating better incomes towards your quite substantial investment of money and time?  As mentioned by @FTB-house-hunter above it is a great tool, and I will also donate a decent wedge if I ever get to a position of buying a decent house at a decent price (which is why we are all here, after all).

Hi Dan,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I don't visit the forum much these days. Yes, I am just about breaking even with it now (running costs only). I still feel bad about introducing the subscription model but I really had no choice. Thanks for the continued support, I really appreciate it.

24 minutes ago, GreenDevil said:

Catching up on some house prices and it seems that the new subcription model ie £1.99 a month is blurring out prices but not doubt collecting the prices. Which is a shame as i was happy to spend my time trawling the web to get property logs prices up to date, but not for a price of 1.99 per month. So im afraid ive removed the extension.

Does anyone know of another similar way to get price history?

Thanks,

No problem, thanks for using it in the past. I'm sorry you don't think it's worth £1.99 per month. There are other extensions available which are free :)

• 1 month later...
HOLA4423
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
On 18/06/2021 at 22:38, Voice of Doom said:

Bump.

I subscribed a couple of weeks or so ago. Hope it's going OK @GettingBored

Thank you for your support :)

2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

@GettingBoredAre you there ?

GB told me last night on twitter that Initial asking prices had fallen 1% in June.

Can you confirm this GB ?

Any other info ?

Yes, I'm here! Rarely come on this forum these days so thank you for the nudge on Twitter.

Average initial asking price on Rightmove for June 2021 was £399,433, a drop of 1.1%. New instructions were up 0.8%.

Regional data is quite interesting. London was down 7%, Cornwall down 2.9%.