House Price Crash Forum
NorthamptonBear

Opera on Android security certificate

Can this be left on the main forum for a few days or shunted off to the infrastructure bods to fix?

Android, chrome works, opera (or opera mini) used to but doesn't now (2 weeks).  Complains of bad certificate.  Won't go to site even if I say proceed anyway.  No other sites affected just hpc.

Worth fixing in my view as might affect other browsers eventually, possibly Google / other search engines.  So hosters might lose hits / revenue (hint; hope for attention).

Since changes to chrome (keeping inactive tabs serving adverts/using resources), chrome crashes and is slow when you have many tabs.

2 hours ago, NorthamptonBear said:

Can this be left on the main forum for a few days or shunted off to the infrastructure bods to fix?

Android, chrome works, opera (or opera mini) used to but doesn't now (2 weeks).  Complains of bad certificate.  Won't go to site even if I say proceed anyway.  No other sites affected just hpc.

Worth fixing in my view as might affect other browsers eventually, possibly Google / other search engines.  So hosters might lose hits / revenue (hint; hope for attention).

Since changes to chrome (keeping inactive tabs serving adverts/using resources), chrome crashes and is slow when you have many tabs.

Could be worth posting the certificate details (expand the arrow, copy paste the exception error details).

Quite often it is a time/date  issue between the server/client. Either your device time has an error or one of the NTS servers at the ISP has a corrupted cache or recent changes in NTS related updates/scripts. Can be a host of things but 7/10 it that, often an issue on the device relating to network time or configuration or a hacking breach.  Hacking on your device is easily confirmed (usually) by just running a virus scan while you are running Chrome. The free ad version of Avast is a good virus scanner on android, just search Avast on playstore.

Edited by frankvw

I hadn't even noticed that HPC was now using TLS. The certificate is from Let's Encrypt valid from 14 May so could be that they have only recently started using this. Let's Encrypt is a bit weird and I have had several difficulties with it.

For it to work you need to have a particular Certificate Authority root certificate in your computer's certificate store which is "DST Root CA X3". On Windows I think this is done for you automatically by Windows Update (to see it, run the command "mmc certmgr.msc" without the quotes then look in Trusted Root CA section.) 

On Android it is not so simple because there is no Windows Update equivalent. Also there's lots of different versions of Android and probably even you don't know which one you have got. Some work, some don't. More detail here.

Bottom line though - the HPC site admins can't do anything - it's your phone's Android or Opera that needs fixing. If you are the sort of person who leaves your phone permanently on then just try rebooting it and see if Opera can reconfigure itself for recent changes. You could also try changing the link/bookmark in Opera to be specifically TLS aware for example https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk 

On Android here, I've been getting an invalid cert error intermittently for the past few days. It complains it's not a trusted root, no problems with other sites. It clears without me doing anything, no restart, no cache clean it just goes away after an hour or so.