House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Mumsnet thread - "To think that big house price falls finally on the way"?

To paraphrase "govt won't let house prices fall because it would be bad for the economy and supply and demand init"

20 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

'Fess up Frugal - is qwertyflirty someone you "know" ;)

Whoever he/she is...I love that they just dropped a reality-bomb into mumsnet...and then stood back to watch the carnage..lolz .You can just imagine the BTL types/property ho's on there getting squeaky bums just reading it.

8 minutes ago, deadlyavenger said:

'Fess up Frugal - is qwertyflirty someone you "know" ;)

Whoever he/she is...I love that they just dropped a reality-bomb into mumsnet...and then stood back to watch the carnage..lolz .You can just imagine the BTL types/property ho's on there getting squeaky bums just reading it.

No, I never comment on Mumsnet, I just read it. Some of the threads are better than a soap opera!

Edited by fru-gal

The mentality of some people is hilarious. I liked this one;

They’ve gone up in my area. Great news for me as we’ve just bought our first house smile

Want to be stuck in that first house do you?

Just now, smash said:

They’ve gone up in my area. Great news for me as we’ve just bought our first house smile

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to explain this to people in real life. They look at you like it is the "but these go to 11" scene from Spinal Tap.

Funny place mumsnet.

I normally avoid it.

Very London/Se/housing debt orientated.

This response jumped out.

'There are no affordable areas in London, relative to incomes, any more.

Not relative to the national income, no, but relative to London income, there are.

I mean no, not many first time buyers are going to be able to afford a three bedroom period semi with a garden, but modest flats are within reach for many couples who might be on 30k each. '

Now, considering that the median London salary is 28k,thats a very exceptional couple,both earning above average.

Now can anyone think why a couple, earning 30k, might not to buy a modest flat?

20 minutes ago, Timak said:

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to explain this to people in real life. They look at you like it is the "but these go to 11" scene from Spinal Tap.

😂

Mumsnet is all socially progressive, right-on and left wing, until it comes to housing, then they transform into Rachman quicker than you can say "but won't you think of the children!".

15 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Mumsnet is all socially progressive, right-on and left wing, until it comes to housing, then they transform into Rachman quicker than you can say "but won't you think of the children!".

I dont think mumsnetters grasp how low London salaries are in relation oto prices. And how MMR will hammer then.

But Id guess 80% f mumsnetter dont work and expect hubby to provide the cash for nappy valley.

9 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I dont think mumsnetters grasp how low London salaries are in relation oto prices. And how MMR will hammer then.

But Id guess 80% f mumsnetter dont work and expect hubby to provide the cash for nappy valley.

Hubby and daddy.

There are just as many blokes who think this way but particularly with gobby ladies, you can't actually raise issues wth their boilerplate property memes because you're a hater or similar if you do. Amusing that the same nonsense is evident in their internet forum.

I get a feeling from Mumsnet of mutual reinforcement of comfortable conformity and complacency.

Very little interest in hard questions and scepticism about mainstream narratives and consensus.

Maybe during the intense child rearing years (and I’ve had four) parents have little ‘spare’ energy to question  TPTB, and also a psychological need to perceive a safe culture and environment?

1 minute ago, The Spaniard said:

Maybe during the intense child rearing years (and I’ve had four) parents have little ‘spare’ energy to question  TPTB, and also a psychological need to perceive a safe culture and environment?

... Or they're just tw#ts

Could someone from here be the OP of that thread? He is almost a lone voice on there.

Their only argument is that demand outstrips supply. They don't look at any other factors at all.

52 minutes ago, Timak said:

It's not often I laugh out loud in our office. Well done. 

11 minutes ago, The Spaniard said:

I like the reference to “15% falls” provoking a “dropping from £615,000 to £600,000 is still unaffordable” response.

Just what are you trying to infer.....:o

20 minutes ago, lombardo said:

Could someone from here be the OP of that thread? He is almost a lone voice on there.

Their only argument is that demand outstrips supply. They don't look at any other factors at all.

If that was true then youd see prices rise.

1 hour ago, smash said:

it really depends though.....my brother bought his first house in london. It then skyrocketed in value and they used the increase to fund a big house in the midlands where prices had not gone up as much. Having said that it also meant they could not afford to buy in london, because the next rung had gone up by huge amount too. So it depends on what you plan to do.

1 hour ago, smash said:

it really depends though.....my brother bought his first house in london. It then skyrocketed in value and they used the increase to fund a big house in the midlands where prices had not gone up as much. Having said that it also meant they could not afford to buy in london, because the next rung had gone up by huge amount too. So it depends on what you plan to do, and you certainly can benefit a lot. Of course in general its really not good for society as a whole!

Lots of them think that high prices equals a good economy, if I had an mumsnet account I would ask them why they think that.

Also comments like "the government can't afford negative equity". Negative equity only becomes a problem if you are a forced seller. Why would it be the governments problem? Other than maybe losing votes?

Lots of them are just repeating what they have been told without any understanding.

1 hour ago, smash said:

I've shown it to people on paper with real numbers... The price of upsizing has gone up. You'll need more debt. Cue glazed expressions. Does not compute.

1 hour ago, Timak said:

LOL - I generally end up asking whether they want a bar of chocolate that costs £100 (but I'll give them half the money), or £1 (but I'll give them nothing). I can't say it generally helps, but I like the look on their faces (as per zombies in "Shaun of the Dead" - "Like a drunk who's just lost a bet").

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

To paraphrase "govt won't let house prices fall because it would be bad for the economy and supply and demand init"

Which to be honest, is exactly what they did when a crash beckoned around 2007/8.

Interest rate suppression, central bank funding for the banks, all manner of dodgy taxpayer-funded props for the housing market.

We know what the government's response is to a crash and we've seen them (sort of) get away with it, no doubt that they will try it again.