House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying & using a NAS

I'm interested in setting up a NAS for music and movies, to be used by android & iOS phones and tablets. I have no desktop PC or MAC ... so would need to set up/manage via android/iOS.

I'd also like to somehow back the files up either to another drive on site, or to a cloud service.

Any suggestions? I'm not techie, so a very easy to use system would be ideal ... even if costs a bit more.

The thing about NAS is that they talk the language of the network. The operating system is immaterial, much as it is when you log on to google. Google servers don't run android or ios (run Linux afaik) but you can still query them, right? Buy one with a browser configurable interface (aren't they all?), and simply run your fave browser on your device to access their config pages.

As for back up, you could buy a raid configurable one that will automatically duplicate all your data.

BUT remember, if you want remote access (ie ability to access your data from outside your home rnetwork) you are inviting trouble. These things are servers which means they are always waiting for requests. Some of those could well be maliciously crafted.

12 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

I'm interested in setting up a NAS for music and movies, to be used by android & iOS phones and tablets. I have no desktop PC or MAC ... so would need to set up/manage via android/iOS.

I'd also like to somehow back the files up either to another drive on site, or to a cloud service.

Any suggestions? I'm not techie, so a very easy to use system would be ideal ... even if costs a bit more.

does your router have a usb port ? you can simply plug a usb stick in there and share it out via dlna