House Price Crash Forum

Average person will need £260,000 for retirement

HOLA441
5 hours ago, winkie said:

So it does all depend to who you are born to?

To a great extent yes. There must be a genetic element in achieving a successful life. Parents with the right attitudes to learning and hard work can help as well.

Will have better life chances?.....the connections make a bigger impact than the actual education?.......the 'brand' name of the school makes a bigger impact than the education provided or even results attained?

The 'old school tie' is as strong today as ever. Even the 'red princes' on the left benefitted from having the right parents and going to the right comprehensive schools. But in general private schools not only concentrate on the basics of English and Maths, but insist on kids being able to speak proper, and have some manners. Attributes which can carry kids a long way in life.

Religious schools?.......is it the quality of the parents, parenting rather than the ability of the child? Is it the ethos of the school? The discipline of the school? The community connections outside the school?

If you mean Christian religious schools, then I suspect the critical factor is the selection of kids who probably have serious parents, committed to learning, and some sort of moral code. Teaching can only be succesful in a well behaved class.

Doesn't where and when you were born make more of a difference to what will achieve by retirement?

They do make a difference. My parents were poor, and grew up during the 1930's Depression (in the UK), and the war. They were still poor until the boom of the 1960's got underway and transformed their lot, so they were then able to regard themselves as middle class. Times and opportunities change, not always for the better. We used to be fish swimming in a large sea, but now we have to get used to being treated like sardines.

So many successful people will self-educate..... education is something ongoing throughout life...like someone else said, growing up in mixed communities of different races, cultures, both rich and poor is an education in itself

Indeed, learning the art of self defence might become a vital skill.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 hours ago, Ah-so said:

Why so many question marks? I usually find one to be sufficient.

I don't suppose you have the answers then?.......to be honest I am finding work no longer pays for large sections of society, and it pays even less if first years education is poor, pays less still if home life is not supportive of education, more so if a poor expensive education.......for many all they hold is hope and opportunities.....some have neither.?

HOLA443
11 hours ago, Ah-so said:

I would hate to see all faith schools close because a majority exist within the system without pushing the religion too hard or the parents/children taking it too seriously or overall increasing religious and ethnic divides.

Perhaps a compromise would be to require that faith schools must have a minimum of c. 10% of pupils who are not of that faith. If they don't get the applicants, then they must close.

I actually thought they already had to take in 10-20% of different faith. The point I was making was that this school has “good results” because the parents and teachers take education very very seriously. However, he last thing they want is for their children to think for themselves. It completely misses what actually makes the West a good place to live in, something they obviously enjoy the benefits of,

bit serious for this thread- but western atheism is really a kind of Christian heresy in that is remains Christian at heart but realises god probably doesn’t exist. Perhaps we need another reform of religion, not sure what tho, certainly not Scientology Or Mormonism which are potty. 

HOLA444
15 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

I actually thought they already had to take in 10-20% of different faith. The point I was making was that this school has “good results” because the parents and teachers take education very very seriously. However, he last thing they want is for their children to think for themselves. It completely misses what actually makes the West a good place to live in, something they obviously enjoy the benefits of,

bit serious for this thread- but western atheism is really a kind of Christian heresy in that is remains Christian at heart but realises god probably doesn’t exist. Perhaps we need another reform of religion, not sure what tho, certainly not Scientology Or Mormonism which are potty. 

No - they don't have those religious quotas, although some may choose to.

HOLA445
15 hours ago, Ah-so said:

I would hate to see all faith schools close because a majority exist within the system without pushing the religion too hard or the parents/children taking it too seriously or overall increasing religious and ethnic divides.

Perhaps a compromise would be to require that faith schools must have a minimum of c. 10% of pupils who are not of that faith. If they don't get the applicants, then they must close.

They wouldn't be able to get anyone to send their kids.The real problem for these communities is their isolation and from what I've seen it's only getting worse,particularly with Faith schools and a lack of social interraction with others from different backgrounds.

3 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Quite.

I find it amazing that we still have things like arranged marriage in the UK.

HOLA446
7 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

They wouldn't be able to get anyone to send their kids.The real problem for these communities is their isolation and from what I've seen it's only getting worse,particularly with Faith schools and a lack of social interraction with others from different backgrounds.

Quite.

If these schools couldn't attract 10% of applicants from people not of their faith, then they would be converted to a non-religious school. 

HOLA447
8 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

Quite.

IM not too fussed by arranged marriage.

However I do have a problem, the large scale  - and not investigated - murder of girl's who are 'living with a family in Mipure'

TheUK needs to start chasing down its record of Mipure pakistani kids born in the UK and where they are now.

HOLA448
35 minutes ago, spyguy said:

IM not too fussed by arranged marriage.

However I do have a problem, the large scale  - and not investigated - murder of girl's who are 'living with a family in Mipure'

TheUK needs to start chasing down its record of Mipure pakistani kids born in the UK and where they are now.

You've mentioned this before spy, how large scale is this

HOLA449
6 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

You've mentioned this before spy, how large scale is this

I have a half Punjabi ex who's volunteers in protecting kids from their family charity.

She reckons its huge.

Any person reported as 'living with their family in Pakistan' should be regards as total BS.

Pakistanis will pay huge sums to get a relative into the UK. The culture trades kids for money and family politics.

Ex reckons the numbers, since the 70s, are in the range of a few 10k.

HOLA4410
3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I have a half Punjabi ex who's volunteers in protecting kids from their family charity.

She reckons its huge.

Any person reported as 'living with their family in Pakistan' should be regards as total BS.

Pakistanis will pay huge sums to get a relative into the UK. The culture trades kids for money and family politics.

Ex reckons the numbers, since the 70s, are in the range of a few 10k.

Sounds as if culturally children are thought of as chattels

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
59 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

what on earth happened to this thread!? did Billy Connelly join it ?

Billy Connelly has not been funny since he gave up drinking.

Thought I'd just helpfully add to the meandering of the thread.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
On 21/05/2018 at 11:09, Errol said:

The faith of Great Britain is Church of England. The Queen is the defender of that faith. We should retain what is our nation's heritage while taking whatever action we deem necessary as regards the external influences.

Christianity is an external influence, it was transplanted from the Middle East just like Islam.

HOLA4419