House Price Crash Forum

Boycott of Bland New Build Sh!te Box Houses ?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Housebuilder Crest Nicholson is the other big faller this morning.

Its shares have tumbled just over 12% after it said that flat property prices and higher costs are putting the squeeze on margins.

In its trading update covering the six months to April, it said it was being hit by "generally flat pricing against a backdrop of continuing build cost inflation at 3-4%".

The firm now expects operating margins for the full year to come in at around 18%, at the bottom end of the 18-20% guided range and below last year's 20.3%.

HOLA444

It's a strange thing to boycott. You'd normally boycott mass-produced items that are readily accessible and has a wide audience.

New build in West Chesire is not only expensive, location specific and would only reach a very narrow segment of the population. It makes no sense. 

I would entertain boycotting VW, something that I might potentially buy myself, but certainly has no business boycotting new builds in West Chesire.

To be fair some of the new builds here (SW London) are well constructed, spacious and looks half decent, albeit very expensive.

HOLA445
38 minutes ago, CentrinoDuo said:

To be fair some of the new builds here (SW London) are well constructed, spacious and looks half decent, albeit very expensive.

New build going up the other side of our garden wall in an old mews. I looked at the planning permission portal, and found that they'd had to submit a revised blueprint because the original had forgotten to include any drainage from the flat roofs. The properties all resemble something you might see in a second-rate business park.

HOLA446
23 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

New build going up the other side of our garden wall in an old mews. I looked at the planning permission portal, and found that they'd had to submit a revised blueprint because the original had forgotten to include any drainage from the flat roofs. The properties all resemble something you might see in a second-rate business park.

I said *some* xD

HOLA447

Young folk are queuing up like lemmings to throw themselves over the HTB cliff here in Hampshire...new builds and HTB are the only option for a large number of 30 somethings desperate to buy...I hear all the nonsense in the office about how folk are living in their uncle's shed and surviving on beans on toast to save up the deposit for their own grotesquely over priced shoe box...it is pathetic.  It never occurs to them that there is anything suspicious about the HTB scheme or that they are being exploited to the point of serfdom.

HOLA448

Seen a lot of stuff on the net recently about the c**p quality of the latest new builds.

Don't know why. Maybe a skills shortage, with euro-labourers moving back to the continent because of the weak GBP.  Or maybe builders trying to squeeze out extra profit by buying lower quality materials or paying less for labour.

Anyway, I would think twice about going into new build at the moment, especially if you look at the prices on stuff built 2004-2007.

Seems to me that a lot of stuff built outside the SE is still underwater.

HOLA449
27 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Young folk are queuing up like lemmings to throw themselves over the HTB cliff here in Hampshire...new builds and HTB are the only option for a large number of 30 somethings desperate to buy...I hear all the nonsense in the office about how folk are living in their uncle's shed and surviving on beans on toast to save up the deposit for their own grotesquely over priced shoe box...it is pathetic.  It never occurs to them that there is anything suspicious about the HTB scheme or that they are being exploited to the point of serfdom.

I can confirm this (also in Hampshire). To them its a no brainer, they see it as their lifeline to get on the ladder that they will overlook any negative. They're paying the same for their mortgage as they  would do on their rent (for the time being at least) that in their mind is on an asset that can only go up. Most can scrounge the £10-£15k deposit from their parents and they don't need to sacrifice their 2-3 holidays a year. its a win win. The same people though likely can't think ahead further than their next holiday let alone 5 years.

HOLA4410
22 hours ago, Freki said:

Boycotts are PR stunts that have never been proving efficient to hit the top line of a company

http://www.ipr.northwestern.edu/about/news/2017/king-corporate-boycotts.html

I think its bit more complex than that ... from your quoted article 

Nevertheless, boycotts can still be effective, according to King’s research. He finds that while boycotts rarely hurt revenues, they can threaten a company’s reputation, especially by generating negative media coverage.

“The no. 1 predictor of what makes a boycott effective is how much media attention it creates, not how many people sign onto a petition or how many consumers it mobilizes,” he noted.

His research shows that the most successful boycotts are those that generate the most media coverage, typically to a single, high-profile company. These headline-grabbing boycotts lead to a greater fall in stock prices and are more likely to cause a company to change its behavior.

A more detailed article 

Do boycotts really work?

https://www.theguardian.com/vital-signs/2015/jan/06/boycotts-shopping-protests-activists-consumers

I should probably have added my opinion on reasons for a boycott 

Massively overpriced

Complaints about low build quality & failure to fix faults are all over the press 

The house builders a re a cartel colluding to hoard land & keep prices high

The Uk has some of the smallest houses in Europe 

New build houses are old technology, looking like houses built 40 yrs ago . would you pay full price for 40 yr old car tech ? 

Small windows 

Bland design

Conservative  - Failure to utilise newer tech like Sips panels  

Environmentally efficient using Bricks compared to sips panels etc 

Poor investment

Made detached with tiny gap between houses to make a higher price as detached . which wastes energy / land 

Small Gardens  

Large House builders have too much influence over gov at expense of self build, council housing alternatives