House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

build 300,000 homes on London's ‘big shed’ shop sites, say design gurus  

Shed Box to Slave Boxes 'R' Us 

build 300,000 homes on London's ‘big shed’ shop sites, say design gurus  

https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/build-300000-homes-on-londons-big-shed-shop-sites-say-design-gurus-a120376.html

Hundreds of ugly “Toys ’R’ Us-style” giant sheds surrounded by half-empty car parks and scrubland should be redeveloped to provide up to 300,000 homes for Londoners, leading urban designers urged today.

“Big box” sites that are “inefficiently” used for retail and light industry occupy the equivalent of 43 Hyde Parks, according to a new study. 

The report Better Brownfield, from the Policy Exchange think tank, identified 1,220 such locations “which we calculate could theoretically accommodate between 250,000 and 300,000 new homes”.

The report does not call for the commercial uses to be replaced but suggests they should be integrated into developments “attractive to both residents and businesses”. ..

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I bet this leading urban designer wouldn't live above a B&Q or Halfords ....imagine the noise from the service vehicles  and fork lift trucks. 

More likely the landlords will just not renew leases to big box retailers and redev for resi...this is happening now. Londoners will lose shopping choice as these big stores disappear...and they will have to drive further to visit a retail park. 

28 minutes ago, Wayward said:

More likely the landlords will just not renew leases to big box retailers and redev for resi...this is happening now. Londoners will lose shopping choice as these big stores disappear...and they will have to drive further to visit a retail park. 

Makes sense. And if Londoners don't like it - they can always move out of London and live somewhere better.

it's all so depressing.. a focus on GDP per capita, rather than GDP as a nominal sum would make it bleeding obvious that we've had the wrong sort of growth. Paying non-productive people benefits from debt increases GDP. It also raises the cost of (somewhat artificially) scarce goods, such that we are now discussing building houses on f@cking retail parks. Not to ignore the negative externalities for congestion, pollution and disparate communities.

I'm going for a ride. 

Edited by monkeyman1974
Pressed send too soon!

18 hours ago, Wayward said:

Londoners will lose shopping choice as these big stores disappear...and they will have to drive further to visit a retail park. 

Having never driven to a retail park in my life, this sounds like an excellent idea.

21 hours ago, TJHooker said:

or just raise interest rates or bring in s24 for all or end htb or de-regulate planning etc..

Tax all non economically productive loans (including BTL of course) at 5% of outstanding balance per annum. Job done.

Edited by goldbug9999

4 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Tax all non economically productive loans (including BTL of course) at 5% of outstanding balance per annum. Job done.

There are many silver bullets but this lot have shown they will not use them.

17 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Having never driven to a retail park in my life, this sounds like an excellent idea.

What more pollution and congestion as folks drive further..? Excellent. 

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:14, Wayward said:

What more pollution and congestion as folks drive further..? Excellent. 

I don't do shopping trips at all. If something wears out, falls apart or is binned by the wife because it is disgusting. I change it next time I am passing a town centre shop selling whatever it is 

No additional pollution, in fact a very green policy overall.     

14 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I don't do shopping trips at all. If something wears out, falls apart or is binned by the wife because it is disgusting. I change it next time I am passing a town centre shop selling whatever it is 

No additional pollution, in fact a very green policy overall.     

I am with you on that...I don't do shopping or consumerism unless I need to...I am the typical renter/saver/skinflint.. but fact is we are a rarity and if they close the retail parks in London then most people that do subscribe to the consumer life style will need to drive further to reach one...that was my point.

I see you are in Croydon...Purley Way is a huge destination for big box retail and congested now.  If retail parks around London close you will see more traffic visiting Purley Way.

5 hours ago, Wayward said:

I am with you on that...I don't do shopping or consumerism unless I need to...I am the typical renter/saver/skinflint.. but fact is we are a rarity and if they close the retail parks in London then most people that do subscribe to the consumer life style will need to drive further to reach one...that was my point.

I see you are in Croydon...Purley Way is a huge destination for big box retail and congested now.  If retail parks around London close you will see more traffic visiting Purley Way.

I was rather hoping the Purley way would be one of the ones they shut, it is a dreary place that takes ages to get and usually involves lots of sitting in traffic (it's only saving grace is you can get there on the tram). Ideally the town centre should be the place for locating shops. 

On 11/05/2018 at 19:58, TJHooker said:

or just raise interest rates or bring in s24 for all or end htb or de-regulate planning etc..

Agreed...

Supply is plenty.

Just extremely over priced, and cannot meet demand.