House Price Crash Forum
Social Justice League

What If The 99% Refuse To Work & Consume?

I have been thinking a lot about who holds the power in our corrupt system.

I came to the conclusion that the 99% have much more power than they think, as they are the ones who work and consume to keep the 1% in riches.

Imagine what would happen if the majority of the population refused to continue working (or forced to stop working by automation) and borrowing to consume and gave up this lifestyle.  Would we see systematic breakdown as the majority of businesses fail, or would we get a citizens income for all, so that the 99% can keep consuming using free 'printed' money?

Have been reading quite a few articles about the citizens income concept recently.  It seems to be gaining momentum, even among the so called 'elite'.

Not working, not contributing and not consuming is certainly looking like a very attractive plan to me at the age of 43.

If I only spend about half of my current cash budget on a house right now I'd be able to jack in work and have enough left over to live on until my private and state pension kick in.

22 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

I came to the conclusion that the 99% have much more power than they think, as they are the ones who work and consume to keep the 1% in riches.

Imagine what would happen if the majority of the population refused to continue working (or forced to stop working by automation) and borrowing to consume and gave up this lifestyle.  Would we see systematic breakdown as the majority of businesses fail, or would we get a citizens income for all, so that the 99% can keep consuming using free 'printed' money?

Have been reading quite a few articles about the citizens income concept recently.  It seems to be gaining momentum, even among the so called 'elite'.

I think the 1% would take their wealth somewhere warmer and leave is to our squalour. That's what I think. 

Fact is that for many people there is little to stop a determined 99% working their socks off and becoming part of the 1%. For most it involves starting a business and taking risks, for sure, but like everything life is often about what you put in. 

Most of the people making lots of noise about "the 99%" seem to put very little in, in my experience.

BTL isn't a business though; it's still people-farming 🙂

27 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

I agree with this bit. One of the core ideas of a citizens income is that you should *always* be better off working. No tax credits etc.

20 minutes ago, nome said:

Not working, not contributing and not consuming is certainly looking like a very attractive plan to me at the age of 43.

If I only spend about half of my current cash budget on a house right now I'd be able to jack in work and have enough left over to live on until my private and state pension kick in.

I would love to be in the position! I wouldn’t buy a house. Or I’d make sure it was only half the budget  - probably somewhere very warm! 

Edited by locky82

Ive always thought the 99% phrase to be a bit of a misnomer. For any modern bureacratic society to function, even brutal dictatorships, about 20% need to be fully on board with those in power, feel they owe the system for their position. When the elite lose this 20%, or look like they will, thats when you see a coup or a revolution. 

29 minutes ago, oatbake said:

I agree with this bit. One of the core ideas of a citizens income is that you should *always* be better off working. No tax credits etc.

Indeed - at the very least, not have a ridiculous effective marginal rate of tax for every extra pound earned as they taper away the tax credits/any other benefit. You might be fractionally better off by working, but its a complete disincentive to work more unless you’re way above the threshold where you get nothing at all. Ending up with 27p in the pound per hour worked is a joke - and with the current system thats exactly how it works for people in some of the lowest income brackets. 

A flat citizens income would solve that in a heartbeat. Up front for everyone and the same effective tax rate on extra earned income for anyone up to each band.

As far as I can see, Citizens Income is inevitable.  We already give away lots of money for free through the benefits system, might as well give everyone a stipend and simplify the whole thing massively.

As automation takes more and more jobs away (not just unskilled factory or manual work done by robots, AI is going to eat the lunch of a lot of middle class people too) it will be necessary to take some of the profits and give them back to the general population if you want to actually have a market that can afford to buy your goods and services.

As for the 99% refusing to consume, most people are pretty mindless and will happily consume whatever is served up to them and promoted  by the media.  People everywhere  totally buy into the Western consumption model, even though it doesn't really make you happy.

1 hour ago, locky82 said:

I would love to be in the position! I wouldn’t buy a house. Or I’d make sure it was only half the budget  - probably somewhere very warm! 

Yeah that would definitely work in a warm cheap country, namely Spain.

BTW my original comment wasn't some kind of boast about how much cash I've got... if anything I was boasting about how frugally I can live!

2 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

Simples, everyone starves to death.  No-one to farm crops, process them, transport to supermarket, stack on shelves etc.........

3 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

wouldn't count on it.

solution is as always.......find target-war with conscription.

under above scenario....no citizens income, businesses will be forced to get productive,those not pulling their weight can be drafted and disposed of,and the currency of choice will not be usd/gbp/eur..it will be raw commodities like food and fuel(both of which will be rationed)

1 hour ago, Sour Mash said:

As for the 99% refusing to consume, most people are pretty mindless and will happily consume whatever is served up to them and promoted  by the media.  People everywhere  totally buy into the Western consumption model, even though it doesn't really make you happy.

heroin addicts can keep on consuming only as long as the supply remains.

shopaholics are in for a rude awakening if energy or food,or both, massively spike in price.

Britain has the capacity/capability to sort the energy problem out,as long as you don't go the environmentalist route of banning everything(we have several hundred years worth of coal and oil in reserve)....food is a bit of a problem.

But, but, but if we don't consume, whatever will we be collectively pigeon-holed as? 

I despise being lumped in as a 'consumer' but it has somehow become a blasé term widely accepted by consumers. 

I am 43.

Flat paid off, double digit isa. Next year or so I'll be topping partners isa preeping to max cgt efficiency, transferring both sipps up each year without cgt. I have a double digit sipp, double digit premium bonds. Been working 3 days a week for a few years. Xmas I'm giving it all up. Good life is £700 with no savings a month (I need to do better than that :D). Im rolling the dice . The, 'some people are more equal than others system can go do one'. Playing the game while paying as little tax as possible, that's my new focus.

You need some of that 99% working to produce what everyone, including themselves, need to live. And I mean real producing, not just "wealth creation". So we'd all be fooked. And to make any difference against the one percent they need to work in unison, which'll never happen. The small numbers are at an advantage there simply because they don't need as much cooperation.

9 minutes ago, pathfinder said:

I am 43.

Flat paid off, double digit isa. Next year or so I'll be topping partners isa preeping to max cgt efficiency, transferring both sipps up each year without cgt. I have a double digit sipp, double digit premium bonds. Been working 3 days a week for a few years. Xmas I'm giving it all up. Good life is £700 with no savings a month (I need to do better than that :D). Im rolling the dice . The, 'some people are more equal than others system can go do one'. Playing the game while paying as little tax as possible, that's my new focus.

I agree with making sure my tax contributions are fair,and being spent wisely(which they aren't).

I have an issue  with both "everybody is equal", and "some are more equal than others" groups.

15 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

But, but, but if we don't consume, whatever will we be collectively pigeon-holed as? 

I despise being lumped in as a 'consumer' but it has somehow become a blasé term widely accepted by consumers. 

the term "useless eaters" springs to mind..

dispensible cannon fodder to secure the next set of resources for the PTB.

over 65...fine....lets have a dose of flu to wipe out the elderly/infirm

lets put in on steroids so we have a war scenario and medication is hard to come by...increases the mortality rate..etc etc.

jobless/in debt........been taking jobseekers allowance for years, about to learn that debts get repaid in blood just as easily as money.

4 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

Or not. Yea... the several hundred or so who frequent this forum... mostly old duffers nearing retirement... are going to instigate a revolution? Huh?

I draw my pensions and, wherever possible, consume elsewhere..... currently Le Midi.

4 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

Ive always thought the 99% phrase to be a bit of a misnomer. For any modern bureacratic society to function, even brutal dictatorships, about 20% need to be fully on board with those in power, feel they owe the system for their position. When the elite lose this 20%, or look like they will, thats when you see a coup or a revolution. 

Also income doesn't matter, its whether you were able to buy 20 years ago and / or get some inheritance.  I'm easily in the 1% in terms of pure income but I will probably still never be able to afford as good a house as a postman who bought 20 years ago so I keep asking myself what exactly is the point of earning more than the prime minsters basic salary when I cant afford  a decent f***** house.

Edited by goldbug9999

7 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Also income doesn't matter, its whether you were able to buy 20 years ago and / or get some inheritance.  I'm easily in the 1% in terms of pure income but I will probably still never be able to afford as good a house as a postman who bought 20 years ago so I keep asking myself what exactly is the point of earning more than the prime minsters basic salary when I cant afford  a decent f***** house.

And just to illustrate your point.... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5691083/Retired-postman-handed-entire-600-000-fortune-cup-tea.html

9 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

You probably could.

Youd just need to spend all your assets as a deposit and sign up to a big fat mortgage for 40 Years.