House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Goodafterbad

Jobs going at BT in London

I find it amazing that so many companies can afford to base themselves in London/South East. 

In this day and age, physical location matters very little, and having offices in London probably means at least a 25% premium on salaries for staff based there let alone other costs (rents, business rates etc).

I get that there is potentially a bigger talent pool but cities like Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds still have a lot to offer.

I think the important thing to note is not BT cutting 13k jobs. But BT leaving its London HQ to cut costs. If a company the size of BT cant afford it, expect many to follow suit.

I wouldnt be suprised if they relocated to Slough or Reading. Most people commute anyway, especially senior people. So why not have an office where people live?

8 minutes ago, 999house said:

I think the important thing to note is not BT cutting 13k jobs. But BT leaving its London HQ to cut costs. If a company the size of BT cant afford it, expect many to follow suit.

I wouldn't be surprised if they relocated to Slough or Reading. Most people commute anyway, especially senior people. So why not have an office where people live?

People actually live in Slough or Reading?? Christ.

3 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

People actually live in Slough or Reading?? Christ.

Hey Slough most desirable city to live in the UK on a (insert what you think) ranking

1 hour ago, oatbake said:

I find it amazing that so many companies can afford to base themselves in London/South East.

Particularly when you effectively own the communications infrastructure.

22 minutes ago, 999house said:

I wouldnt be suprised if they relocated to Slough or Reading. Most people commute anyway, especially senior people. So why not have an office where people live?

Not sure I would recommend Slough or Reading, both quite expensive.

In a funny way, a company having a large HQ seems a little out dated (although I realise a lot of technology companies have also gone down that route)

13 minutes ago, Freki said:

Hey Slough most desirable city to live in the UK on a (insert what you think) ranking

That was actually one of the funniest stories I have ever read. Slough is an absolute dump and Reading is not much better.