House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Habeas Domus

Would you like to explore Europe this summer?

Are you 18 years old? Would you like to explore Europe? Then you are the perfect candidate to apply for a new European Union initiative to be officially launched shortly.

In June 2018 the European Commission is selecting up to 15,000 enthusiastic young people to be the lucky recipients of a travel pass to discover Europe.

Those interested need to apply in June 2018 over a two week period (details to be released soon). Travel between July and September 2018.

EU Commission announcement (via Twitter) "Over 20,000 young people are expected to benefit"

Europa Press release "an estimated 20,000-30,000 young people a travel experience that would help foster a European identity, reinforce common European values and promote the discovery of European sites and cultures."

Applications will be handled via European YouthEU (Facebook) and Twitter

About 1,900 tickets have been earmarked for British applicants, with 2,500 for Germany, 1,960 for France and 140 for Ireland. Applicants will have to give reasons for why they should be awarded the Interrail pass and agree to act as European ambassadors by posting about their experiences on social media.

• At first glance this seems like a wonderful idea, however forcing teenagers to use social media, while pushing against an open door, still seems a bit creepy - are the EU going to claim ownership of all those social media posts? If they post something negative does the train pass get cancelled?
  • A limit of 1,900 tickets, there are around 750,000 18 years olds in the UK, so if they all apply for this then there's less than a 1 in 300 chance of being "selected".
  • The offer does not cover any of the other costs, hotels etc of travelling around Europe for 30 days, so it's safe to say the take up will be mostly from the Middle and Upper class.
  • The cost of this scheme (assuming full take up) works out to £480 per person, but you can currently buy a 1 month Interrail pass for £459, where does the other £20 go?
  • If you are 19 or over you can't apply.
  • If you are 17 or younger we will have left the EU by the time you turn 18 so tough luck!

16 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:
Are you 18 years old? Would you like to explore Europe? Then you are the perfect candidate to apply for a new European Union initiative to be officially launched shortly.

In June 2018 the European Commission is selecting up to 15,000 enthusiastic young people to be the lucky recipients of a travel pass to discover Europe.

Those interested need to apply in June 2018 over a two week period (details to be released soon). Travel between July and September 2018.

EU Commission announcement (via Twitter) "Over 20,000 young people are expected to benefit"

Europa Press release "an estimated 20,000-30,000 young people a travel experience that would help foster a European identity, reinforce common European values and promote the discovery of European sites and cultures."

Applications will be handled via European YouthEU (Facebook) and Twitter

About 1,900 tickets have been earmarked for British applicants, with 2,500 for Germany, 1,960 for France and 140 for Ireland. Applicants will have to give reasons for why they should be awarded the Interrail pass and agree to act as European ambassadors by posting about their experiences on social media.

• At first glance this seems like a wonderful idea, however forcing teenagers to use social media, while pushing against an open door, still seems a bit creepy - are the EU going to claim ownership of all those social media posts? If they post something negative does the train pass get cancelled?
  • A limit of 1,900 tickets, there are around 750,000 18 years olds in the UK, so if they all apply for this then there's less than a 1 in 300 chance of being "selected".
  • The offer does not cover any of the other costs, hotels etc of travelling around Europe for 30 days, so it's safe to say the take up will be mostly from the Middle and Upper class.
  • The cost of this scheme (assuming full take up) works out to £480 per person, but you can currently buy a 1 month Interrail pass for £459, where does the other £20 go?
  • If you are 19 or over you can't apply.
  • If you are 17 or younger we will have left the EU by the time you turn 18 so tough luck!

Those incredible EU pensions don't pay for themselves you know.

Sick of handing over my tax money which is then used to deliver freebies for which I don't qualify. I am not 18, so what, is that somehow my fault? 

There would be uproar if the EC used some other criteria to hand out the largesse. 

Are you a white male?  Would you like to explore Europe? Then you are the perfect candidate to apply for a new European Union initiative to be officially launched shortly.

Great idea, I think.  Have suggested to my godsons to apply.  I did a couple of summers on ntterail and it was a great craic, I'd do it in a flash if I were 18-21

2 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

Great idea, I think.  Have suggested to my godsons to apply.  I did a couple of summers on ntterail and it was a great craic, I'd do it in a flash if I were 18-21

Yes a great idea, would recommend any responsible young people to explore Europe interrail pass...expands the mind.;)

5 minutes ago, winkie said:

Yes a great idea, would recommend any responsible young people to explore Europe interrail pass...expands the mind.;)

Absolutely.  I remember being woken up on a train heading for Switzerland when I thought I was going to Madrid!  Worked out quite quickly it wasn't where I was going that made the trip, it was the journey and who I met.  Cracking times.