House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletcher

49yo copper on The Chase says he's retiring in 2 years

Geezer says he's been in the job for 28 years, just two years left before he retires.

What. The. ******?

I have no animus against the geezer personally, but why the ****** do public sector workers get to retire 15 years earlier than everyone else, and with massive ******ing pension pots to boot?

My ******ing god. 30 years of work. Retires at 50ish, lives for maybe 30, 35 years on a final salary pension, funded and backstopped by the tax payer. You could not make this shit up. No wonder the UK's finances are ******ED. 

Tories try to do something about it and the Graun and Mirror scream blue murder, Guardianistas call the Tories evil scum, Tories predictably bottle it. 

Should never have gone to uni. Shoulda just become a choob driver. 60k for pushing a dead ******ing man's handle. 

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Geezer says he's been in the job for 28 years, just two years left before he retires.

What. The. ******?

I have no animus against the geezer personally, but why the ****** do public sector workers get to retire 15 years earlier than everyone else, and with massive ******ing pension pots to boot?

My ******ing god. 30 years of work. Retires at 50ish, lives for maybe 30, 35 years on a final salary pension, funded and backstopped by the tax payer. You could not make this shit up. No wonder the UK's finances are ******ED. 

Tories try to do something about it and the Graun and Mirror scream blue murder, Guardianistas call the Tories evil scum, Tories predictably bottle it. 

Should never have gone to uni. Shoulda just become a choob driver. 60k for pushing a dead ******ing man's handle. 

you sound like you find this as "new information"

58 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Pretty sure public service pensions haven’t been final salary for over a decade. 

Some Public Sector Pensions are still linked to final salary but many have shifted to Career Average or Defined Contribution.  Its more complex because of the adjustments made for age of entry into scheme and the age of the member.  Pensions are a complex business and as far as Fireman and Police retiring early, there is some logic to this process and I suspect their pensions are actuarialy adjusted if they take them before 60/67 or NPA etc.

1 hour ago, Arpeggio said:

Can't have 65 year olds running after chavs. Tricky one.

These could be brought in to curb the excess spending on pensions. 

I see they have brought a model out for the london market 

MAFEX-Robocop-Figure-011.jpg

2 minutes ago, longgone said:

These could be brought in to curb the excess spending on pensions. 

I see they have brought a model out for the london market

Or when pensioners bodies become frail they can be installed into Robocops? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

They could be used for all sorts of things. Lollipop ladies, making sure children don't buy too many sweets, baking cakes and issuing them evenly among the attendants of local fetes.

Failure to comply within 30 seconds will result in termination of the perpetrator = job done.

3 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Or when pensioners bodies become frail they can be installed into Robocops? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

They could be used for all sorts of things. Lollipop ladies, making sure children don't buy too many sweets, baking cakes and issuing them evenly among the attendants of local fetes.

Failure to comply within 30 seconds will result in termination of the perpetrator = job done.

Indeed we could deploy these as tax inspectors to clean up the filth of BTL enforcing s24 failure to comply will result in termination. 

Lets call it Occasional Cop Pensioners  i just hope we can find enough Irish pensioners called Murphy. 

On 06/05/2018 at 11:44, Arpeggio said:

A hell of a lot of police work today appears to be involved with looking for nasty things people say on twitter.

No reason anyone 60 + couldn't 'move upstairs" once they got too old for chasing scumbags. 

On 06/05/2018 at 11:44, Arpeggio said:

There is plenty of computer work to do nowadays though - like sifting through reams of documents, mobile phone data etc to find relevant information etc. Why can't he do that?

Remember the student protests of 2010? Police who could retire at 50, beating up children, young people (and stupid 'anarchists' too) who will no doubt leave education tens-of-thousands in debt and will probably retire in their 70s. This is worth a watch, as it says a lot about the media too:

RE: your comments about the Tories doing something, I haven't seen much evidence of that.  Both Tory and Labour want to burn money at alarming speed (maybe the Tories want to burn slightly slower)

I would also point out the mail and telegraph would happily defend the hard working copper that needs his 35 plus year final salary pension for all his hard work.

Both left and right in this country are financially illiterate.

I reckon reality will only bit after a financial reset.

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 08:32, Bossybabe said:

Pretty sure public service pensions haven’t been final salary for over a decade. 

Correct.

As for the copper, I'm also pretty sure he cashed in early at a much reduced return.

Sorry, but I can't be bothered to read this whole thread, but here's my contribution, which nobody will likewise read, so I can say pretty much what I like, which is:

Not everyone in the public sector is an angel. Even those we assume to be. I'm afraid most are just after the money. Take for instance the Surgeon on "Hospital", deserting this country and its sick for 5 times remuneration in the States. He already has his gold-plated UK pension; why stay here a minute longer, despite the fact he knows there is almost nobody to fill his shoes and that patients will suffer? £70K plus a gold-plated pension would satisfy a person who just wanted to do good. Then we have to suffer his monologue where he asks politicians to stop viewing patients as numbers. The hypocrisy is dumbfounding.

So he's off to the US because he is "ambitious". Those that aren't will realise their inflation -linked pensions, estimated to be worth FIVE TIMES a similar costing money-purchase scheme, guarantees them a cushy retirement. Why work a day more than you have to? My own GP just retired at the grand old age of 55. He's probably worked 30 years. He'll probably claim his pension for another 40. Does anyone really believe his 5% contribution paid for that?

But govs of all colours play the accounting trick of "balancing" the books by minimising current spending by promising jam tomorrow - ie a fat pension. It is fraud and the taxpayer - esp the private sector worker taxpayer - is the one being robbed. Do they deserve it? Probably, cos most of them are too obsessed with immediate material benefit to see what is really happening. Meanwhile they shrug every time the government tacks another year on their retirement age. They haven't a clue how many extra hours pay  it would take them to fund that from a private pension. Most of them think the state pension is feeble anyhow, until that is, they look at what their own 'massive' pot will buy them. They look at reforms and console themselves that by going the draw-down route they'll both avoid poor annuity rates and have something to pass on to their legatees. They haven't considered how the minimum wage and working time directive is affecting their end-of-days care costs. The fact is, while public sector workers drift off into the sunset, the majority of private sector workers face decimation of their apparent wealth, followed by the ignominy of a cash-strapped public sector provided "care plan".

Happy days!

From policemutual.co.uk:

1987 Pension Scheme, the 1987 Pension Scheme provides a pension of 2/3rds of your Pensionable Salary at retirement on completion of 30 years' service,

2006 Pension Scheme
You may retire on or after age 55,
You are currently a member of the 2006 Pension Scheme, this Scheme provides you with a pension of 1/70th of Pensionable Salary at retirement for each year of service in the Scheme, you will also receive a cash sum of four times your pension at retirement in addition to your pension.

2015 Pension Scheme
If you retire on or after age 55, you may draw pension from the 2015 CARE Scheme, alternatively, you may defer drawing the benefits from the 2015 CARE Scheme until you reach your State Pension Age.

Your State Pension Age is currently age 67, this may change as a result of future legislation.

Benefits from the 2015 CARE Scheme are reduced if they commence before age 60, if you retire at age 60 no reduction will apply.

On 19/05/2018 at 01:16, Habeas Domus said:

you will also receive a cash sum of four times your pension at retirement in addition to your pension.

Bloody hell!

Explains why so many folk are able to tap into the 'bank of mum and dad' if there are boomers getting that kind of pay out on retiring.

Does 4 times your pension mean 4 times your monthly amount ?

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Does 4 times your pension mean 4 times your monthly amount ?

It means the yearly amount.

I guess the contestant on The Chase wasn't this chap:

47 minutes ago, Will! said:

It means the yearly amount.

I guess the contestant on The Chase wasn't this chap:

What the ****** !!

So that "bonus" could be like 100k or similar ? 

5 minutes ago, ccc said:

What the ****** !!

So that "bonus" could be like 100k or similar ? 

Yes. Tax-free, too, I believe.

The copper brother of a colleague of mine used it to open a card shop in Belfast! Just a hobby really since the pension was paying him a decent wage from 50.

The argument is that you don't want old, unfit policemen so it's better to pension them off. The counterargument is that you could just shift them to back-office, computer-based intelligence jobs.

On 06/05/2018 at 13:31, Arpeggio said:

I think the reason firemen and policemen got to retire around 50 was the assumed frailty issue in the past.

Ironically the 50 year old fireman I knew who retired was built like a body builder, competed in Gladiators in the 1990s on television and competes in the over 50s world athletics championship and runs the 800m in just over two minutes. Really talented guy who should be still serving, but if you offer 20k a year index linked to retire with lump sum  most of us will take it.

This idea that you are physically going down in your 50s is seriously dated. You are actually peaking on the stamina stuff like the Lands End to John O Groats time record if you have kept slim and fit.

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

I think the reason firemen and policemen got to retire around 50 was the assumed frailty issue in the past.

Ironically the 50 year old fireman I knew who retired was built like a body builder, competed in Gladiators in the 1990s on television and competes in the over 50s world athletics championship and runs the 800m in just over two minutes. Really talented guy who should be still serving, but if you offer 20k a year index linked to retire with lump sum  most of us will take it.

This idea that you are physically going down in your 50s is seriously dated. You are actually peaking on the stamina stuff like the Lands End to John O Groats time record if you have kept slim and fit.

That sounds rather unusual !! Although I suppose the 800m is just outside the 'sprint' category.

Although when David Rudisha is really going for it - it is more or less a long sprint.

10 minutes ago, ccc said:

That sounds rather unusual !! Although I suppose the 800m is just outside the 'sprint' category.

Although when David Rudisha is really going for it - it is more or less a long sprint.

I agree in the days of yore the likes of Seb Coe were about eight stone.

He's 55 now, black and really big build and still shading two minutes. I'd have thought muscle would slow you down.

3 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

He's 55 now, black and really big build and still shading two minutes. I'd have thought muscle would slow you down.

Very impressive stuff. In general weight will. I've actually no clue of what time I could run 800m in. When in shape I do about 3 mins 30-40 or so for the last k of a 5 k.

A 2 minute 800m is about 2 min 30 per k pace I think. Although my maths may be off there. :lol:

800m in 2 mins is almost 15mph. I'd like to try but I live on a hill.

3 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

I think above 800m it might start to slow you down with the high "miles per gallon". African descent has slightly longer femur leg bones, which is good for all running. Jamaicans tend to be born with more "fast twitch" muscles meaning they can sprint fast, hence why Jamaica is so prominent in sprinting.