House Price Crash Forum

Interesting thread from elsewhere...

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I'm surprised there are still so many left. 

Even the traditional ones fees are slashed compared to what they used to be.

It's one buisness that really doesn't need a physical presence anymore.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
18 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

I don’t understand why almost every other shop on my local high street is an EA either.  

Surely the volume of transactions dropping should have hit them by now?

This is something I've never understood... post 2008 the EA'S on my High street were absolutely decimated, stock levels and transaction volumes are even lower now, yet there are more EA's than ever, they really just must be all riding the letting fees gravy train.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
35 minutes ago, A third of everything said:

One of the agents I viewed with today are open Sunday and Monday, no such thing as time off full stop for them never mind who's paying... though the agent looked old enough for at least 2nd year apprenticeship wage so maybe that's how they afford to operate 7 days a week

I tried to booking a viewing at lunch time and was told they don’t do appointments between 12 and 2 or Sundays.  Their latest appointment is also 5:30.  Not expecting anyone to do long hours but surely they could come up with a shift pattern, as in retail.  This may have been ok in a sellers market but as soon as it switches they are going to be in trouble.

HOLA4410
20 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

I tried to booking a viewing at lunch time and was told they don’t do appointments between 12 and 2 or Sundays.  Their latest appointment is also 5:30.  Not expecting anyone to do long hours but surely they could come up with a shift pattern, as in retail.  This may have been ok in a sellers market but as soon as it switches they are going to be in trouble.

Maybe they already have second jobs to go to, supplementing the falling income ?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
On 05/05/2018 at 19:14, Bsmf said:

I'm surprised there are still so many left. 

Even the traditional ones fees are slashed compared to what they used to be.

It's one buisness that really doesn't need a physical presence anymore.

I think the good established local ones will always be ok.

Yet I agree, there seems to be a concentration of EAs not seen since 2007..

HOLA4413
On 07/05/2018 at 07:55, PopGun said:

I think the good established local ones will always be ok.

Yet I agree, there seems to be a concentration of EAs not seen since 2007..

I'm not so sure. There are loads in my small town.

Sure rentals might keep them ticking over if they cut back massively. But eventually if owner occupiers increase rental demand will fall off a cliff.

HOLA4414

' Jeez! I looked at this and thought I`d written it myself! Only difference is that I`ve got 2 staff. It`s not just the online agents that are killing it. It`s the amount of agents over-valuing the stock in our town too. There are 18 agents in our town plus the online guys. There`s just not enough leads to go round...and yes, we do direct mail, Social Media, PPC, Press Ads, Leaflets, pay for outsourced online generated leads.
Our overheads are near £11k mth and I know if I used that money to fund my other business, I`d make a hell of a lot more. '

Thats interesting. Looks a little high but I dont do knwo where he is. Rent + rates arn't cheap, despite all the charity shops ....

I dont know if the online, fixed fee agents are going to make a long term go of it or not.

But I do know theyve forced bricksnmortars to compete on price, knokcing a few 1000 off in commission.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 05/05/2018 at 21:09, nome said:

This is something I've never understood... post 2008 the EA'S on my High street were absolutely decimated, stock levels and transaction volumes are even lower now, yet there are more EA's than ever, they really just must be all riding the letting fees gravy train.

There are a lot more tenants these days but when the fees ban comes in they're screwed.

On 05/05/2018 at 22:00, Mancunian284 said:

I suspect a lot of them are in far more trouble than they realise.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

' Jeez! I looked at this and thought I`d written it myself! Only difference is that I`ve got 2 staff. It`s not just the online agents that are killing it. It`s the amount of agents over-valuing the stock in our town too. There are 18 agents in our town plus the online guys. There`s just not enough leads to go round...and yes, we do direct mail, Social Media, PPC, Press Ads, Leaflets, pay for outsourced online generated leads.
Our overheads are near £11k mth and I know if I used that money to fund my other business, I`d make a hell of a lot more. '

Thats interesting. Looks a little high but I dont do knwo where he is. Rent + rates arn't cheap, despite all the charity shops ....

I dont know if the online, fixed fee agents are going to make a long term go of it or not.

But I do know theyve forced bricksnmortars to compete on price, knokcing a few 1000 off in commission.

Rent and rates somewherelike the Midlands will be circa £2k per month.

RM +?Zoopla/Onthemarket fees £3k.

Salary for boss £2k.

2 staff= prob £3k

Utilities=£500

Mileaghe=???

Rightmove is up around £46 and becoming a tempting short imho.Once these agents start shutting up shop,their revenue will plummet.

HOLA4417
3 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

There are a lot more tenants these days but when the fees ban comes in they're screwed.

I suspect a lot of them are in far more trouble than they realise.

Rent and rates somewherelike the Midlands will be circa £2k per month.

RM +?Zoopla/Onthemarket fees £3k.

Salary for boss £2k.

2 staff= prob £3k

Utilities=£500

Mileaghe=???

Rightmove is up around £46 and becoming a tempting short imho.Once these agents start shutting up shop,their revenue will plummet.

My guess he bricksnmortar will shut and be replaced by officeless agents.