House Price Crash Forum
reddog

Hybrid cars may be banned in 2040

As per title.

Looks like the government may also be banning hybrids in 2040.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-5692199/Hybrid-cars-banned-sale-2040-new-plans-reduce-air-pollution-levels.html

The car industry seems to be taking the news badly.  Probably because they saw hybrids as their get out of jail free card.

(For the record I don't think government's should be telling manufacturers what they can and can't produce)

1 hour ago, reddog said:

(For the record I don't think government's should be telling manufacturers what they can and can't produce)

I’m all for market forces, but regulation is a necessity when the alternative is pollution and lung cancer.

12 hours ago, dropbear said:

I’m all for market forces, but regulation is a necessity when the alternative is pollution and lung cancer.

EVs will become the norm way before the legislation kicks in. Some gentle nudges from governent are all that is required if at all. You could argue that this is a soft touch anyway, they have until 2040, its not like they have to do it within 5 years.

1 hour ago, Pitchfork said:

EVs will become the norm way before the legislation kicks in. Some gentle nudges from governent are all that is required if at all. You could argue that this is a soft touch anyway, they have until 2040, its not like they have to do it within 5 years.

Yup sounds about right 20 odd years to go defo doable

What's the plan for motorcycles? I'll be dead by 2040 but I can't ever see me cocking my leg over an electric motorbike, sure way to rip the experience out of it.

18 hours ago, dropbear said:

... and breaking the stranglehold of the gulf states over the world economy

1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

... and breaking the stranglehold of the gulf states over the world economy

Good point. Maybe Chile, China, Australia and Argentina will be more responsible? They have the most lithium reserves.

9 hours ago, Pitchfork said:

As a bit of a petrolhead this makes me quite sad. Plus electric cars just seem a massive pain in the ****

This all screams to me as “peak oil”. 

All petroleum based products to be phased out. 1st is was the internal combustion engine by 2040, plastics straws, plastic micro beads etc Next is plastic bags to be replaced by ones made from plant materials. All this is on environmental grounds of course as we wouldn’t want the masses twigging on wouldn’t we? The environment in question is beginning to run out of oil...

The thing I love most about all of this progress toward more efficient vehicles? It's resulted in people being able to afford to run some of the largest behemoths I've ever seen on the road. Just with similar fuel economy to the smaller vehicles they replaced. Yay.

The more the politicians try to "protect" the environment the more expensive things become, funny that.

All looks like another case of the government losing the plot in an effort to be on-message. There's no good reason to aim for no internal combustion by then, particularly if it's local air quality that's the issue (that seems to be the current trendy message, rather than worldwide ones). Just get enough, and maybe some prods for the biggest contributors (buses and taxis) and enough will be achieved. Pushing for 100% is just going to cause greater hassle for no gain.

Not content with destroying the market for used diesels, the governement now seem to be hell-bent on destroying the market in used hybrids and electric cars, as well as pissing off early adopters who thought they were doing the right, green thing, if this report is true http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5696245/New-law-silent-electric-cars-fitted-built-noises-warn-pedestrians.html No further details as to the spec and approvals required for this sound emitting device yet, or even whether it will be available for older hybrids (ie. if a software update is required to control it, and the manufacturers do not make an update available for older cars). It's unprecedented as far as I can recall, for a change in construction and use regs to apply retrospectively.

Ban anything if it means can create something new.....notwithstanding the old was far better than the new......the new creates jobs, growth, and money churn.....has got to be better even when it is clearly  not.;)

17 hours ago, Fishfinger said:

This all screams to me as “peak oil”. 

All petroleum based products to be phased out. 1st is was the internal combustion engine by 2040, plastics straws, plastic micro beads etc Next is plastic bags to be replaced by ones made from plant materials. All this is on environmental grounds of course as we wouldn’t want the masses twigging on wouldn’t we? The environment in question is beginning to run out of oil...

10/10.

Spot on.

People often go on about government being inefficient, clueless, always reacting 'after the event, etc.

The backgrounds of our elected politicians may, for the most part, be largely uneducated and clueless on all the real things that matter in respect of large scale and longer term socio-economic planning (i.e. undertstanding how money works, importance of energy, etc) and occupy themselves with essentially 'frivolous' issues - but you can be sure that there are plenty of mandarins/technocrats in the various branches of the civil service and the like that will have researched into, have known about and writtedn formal reports on these issues lonnnnnng ago.

The press/media are merely helpfully dressing this all up largely under the guise of pollution control (e.g. diesel penalties, higher road fund duty based on larger engines, etc).

Politicians know better than to cry "the sky is falling" to their electorate but you can be sure that those senior policy makers concerned will, by now, have been told in no uncertain terms that willfully permitting current dependence on liquid fuels, particularly for enabling us to scoot around in four wheeled steel boxes, will lead to socio-economic distaster in a timeframe that even short erm elected politicans can grasp.

7 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

* and I will be too old to thrash the KX 500 by then 

Now that's a hairy chested mans 'crosser. Noice. B)

22 minutes ago, anonguest said:

10/10.

Spot on.

People often go on about government being inefficient, clueless, always reacting 'after the event, etc.

The backgrounds of our elected politicians may, for the most part, be largely uneducated and clueless on all the real things that matter in respect of large scale and longer term socio-economic planning (i.e. undertstanding how money works, importance of energy, etc) and occupy themselves with essentially 'frivolous' issues - but you can be sure that there are plenty of mandarins/technocrats in the various branches of the civil service and the like that will have researched into, have known about and writtedn formal reports on these issues lonnnnnng ago.

The press/media are merely helpfully dressing this all up largely under the guise of pollution control (e.g. diesel penalties, higher road fund duty based on larger engines, etc).

Politicians know better than to cry "the sky is falling" to their electorate but you can be sure that those senior policy makers concerned will, by now, have been told in no uncertain terms that willfully permitting current dependence on liquid fuels, particularly for enabling us to scoot around in four wheeled steel boxes, will lead to socio-economic distaster in a timeframe that even short erm elected politicans can grasp.

Are these the same experts that concluded the best way to emissions check a high compression (Diesel) engine at MOT time was to run at the limiter with no load?

Some experts. Well, they knew enough to have signs that say "If we lunch your engine, it sucks to be you"...so maybe not so stupid after all.

Edited by chronyx