House Price Crash Forum

House Prices vs Salaries  

393 members have voted

1. 1. When will the average UK house price return to less than 4x the single mean full time wage?

• 2018-2020
    • 2021-2025
    • 2026-2030
    • 2031+
    • They never will

Something has to give when the young are saddled with a 50k education debt before they get their first job, and know they have no chance of buying a house without inheriting a deposit. 

If it doesn't correct radically in this crisis, then the young may as well stop trying until it does. Ie Go teetotal,  live at home and ride a bicycle. 

Student debt manifests itself with a ~10% reduction in students takehome until they are  ~55 - or the debt is paid, so til they are 55.

With MMR, that reduction in income will take ~30% off the mortgage they can borrow.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a reference for this please? Would like to know more.

MMR restricts lending to max of 4.5x income after debt n regular payments are removed - Bill's, utils, etc.

Assuming you earn more than 25k, student debt levies a 10% extra tax on income - after all the other taxes.

• 5 months later...

On 31/12/2020 at 11:15, spyguy said:

Student debt manifests itself with a ~10% reduction in students takehome until they are  ~55 - or the debt is paid, so til they are 55.

With MMR, that reduction in income will take ~30% off the mortgage they can borrow.

Dude, try researching stuff before posting your made-up stats. You can write some good stuff, but undermine it with nonsense like this

4 minutes ago, PropertyMania said:

Dude, try researching stuff before posting your made-up stats. You can write some good stuff, but undermine it with nonsense like this

Ah but .... I might have got my numbers wrong but ....

You are just looking at student debt.

By going into HE people are putting off their entry into work by ~5 years.

Its not just student debt thatll be ramped up - other debt etc etc.

Then theres lost income to factor in.

If a degree is doing little or negative to your future earnings then the whole HE thang is v negative in terms of house prices.

Early estimates for May 2021 indicate that median monthly pay decreased to £1,962, an increase of 9.1% compared with the same period of the previous year. According to the ONS

So with average house price standing at £256,405 a quick bit of maths says house prices are at 130 months salary. Or 10.8 years of your gross salary [before tax] to buy 'the average house'.

Wages are up and there are up in real 'inflation adjusted terms' too. 

227369270_Figure3_MedianpaydecreasedsharplyinApril2020buthasreturnedtotheprevioustrendsinceAugust2020(1).png.1248d029d71e03c9136ec8f1940711ad.png

image.png

Edited by Data Dave
33 minutes ago, Data Dave said:

Early estimates for May 2021 indicate that median monthly pay decreased to £1,962, an increase of 9.1% compared with the same period of the previous year. According to the ONS

There are big problems with the ONS wage data at the moment, does anybody seriously believe that the average worker has had a 9.1% y-o-y payrise?

34 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

does anybody seriously believe that the average worker has had a 9.1% y-o-y payrise?

Well, I agree on the face of it. But it could be just identifying the V shaped 'covid dip' [as wages fell last year] then when compared to the same month a year later, so YoY they look to have increased, in percentage terms, by an astronomical figure. 

Probably adding to the 'distortion' is wages paid through furlough.  

Most expensive place in England & Wales probably wont surprise many its Kensington & Chelsea, where median house prices are 36.4 times median salaries!

However in relative terms, they are now 'cheaper' or more affordable I suppose I should say, than they were 2015!

Spend half your gross salary on your mortgage payments [likely impossible after tax] and youd 'have a house of your own' in 'just' 72.8 years!! [ex interest!]

image.thumb.png.9e159d260c27c4c83b9b0a05a74c56ca.png

Source: ONS

30 minutes ago, Data Dave said:

Most expensive place in England & Wales probably wont surprise many its Kensington & Chelsea, where median house prices are 36.4 times median salaries!

However in relative terms, they are now 'cheaper' or more affordable I suppose I should say, than they were 2015!

Spend half your gross salary on your mortgage payments [likely impossible after tax] and youd 'have a house of your own' in 'just' 72.8 years!! [ex interest!]

image.thumb.png.9e159d260c27c4c83b9b0a05a74c56ca.png

Source: ONS

The good thing about working in Kensington and Chelsea is that you can commute from somewhere cheaper - not so easy in part of Cornwall I guess.

2 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

The good thing about working in Kensington and Chelsea is that you can commute from somewhere cheaper - not so easy in part of Cornwall I guess.

Very true, commuting and transport links I suppose must a huge part.

So whats the answer? Suppose its as much remote work as possible...?

If I were younger and richer maybe i'd have a punt on Bham. With Birmingham circa 5x [house prices to salary] and the arrival of HS2 putting commuting times from Bham to London at under 50 mins, its actually placing Bham into the commuter belt! Staggering really. 

38 minutes ago, Data Dave said:

Very true, commuting and transport links I suppose must a huge part.

So whats the answer? Suppose its as much remote work as possible...?

If I were younger and richer maybe i'd have a punt on Bham. With Birmingham circa 5x [house prices to salary] and the arrival of HS2 putting commuting times from Bham to London at under 50 mins, its actually placing Bham into the commuter belt! Staggering really. 

HS2 might take some time  - even for young people.  

Remote work will presumably make prices higher in remote places.

I would say that the answer would not to have done all the stupid things in the past like HTB, knocking down houses in Liverpool and changes to the benefit system plus building more homes.

On 15/06/2021 at 13:55, Dorkins said:

There are big problems with the ONS wage data at the moment, does anybody seriously believe that the average worker has had a 9.1% y-o-y payrise?

Ending of furlough for a lot of people probably.

You can see on the plot it has returned to pre-covid trend, what we need to know is what is the increase since before furlough.