House Price Crash Forum
oatbake

Local Elections 2018

Looks like Labour are taking a bit of a beating early on...

Some big swings to the Tories, especially in Leave areas.

If this continues throughout the night, could this be the end of Jezza?

You are not going to get the young turning out in the same numbers for locals, certainly wont be getting University students multiplying their votes by voting twice ( probably swung a few marginals). Will be different at a general election. Obviously the latter making a tiny difference but illustrative of the huge effort to vote, 200% turnout for some individuals.

Edited by crashmonitor

1 hour ago, rollover said:

Not a good night for the UKIP. It looks like the party is history now.

There was never a UKIP party, it was always the Nigel Farage party

5 minutes ago, happyguy said:

Yes there was they won seats 

They won seats because their whole party manifesto was based on leaving the EU, and Nigel Farage was an influential front man. By forcing the Tories into giving the referendum vote, it was job done. The tories gambled and lost and UKIP is irrelevant.

14 minutes ago, sideysid said:

They won seats because their whole party manifesto was based on leaving the EU, and Nigel Farage was an influential front man. By forcing the Tories into giving the referendum vote, it was job done. The tories gambled and lost and UKIP is irrelevant.

Don't bother with him/her, and yes you totally understand the point I was making, clearly happyguy just is not bright enough. 

11 hours ago, oatbake said:

Sadly no the snowflakes and council workers will always vote him in.  

2 hours ago, inbruges said:

I agree 100% what I said is that there was more than one person in the party - clearly in bruges just is not bright enough to understand that. 

"clearly happyguy just is not bright enough"

Have a masters from Oxford Uni little boy, own my own very successful business, own my own 5 bed house with no mortgage - was able to afford top give both my kids a big deposit to buy a house.

How much equity do you have in the place you live it? 

2 hours ago, inbruges said:

Don't bother with him/her, and yes you totally understand the point I was making, clearly happyguy just is not bright enough

Have a masters from Oxford Uni little boy, own my own very successful business, own my own 5 bed house with no mortgage - was able to afford to give both my kids a big deposit to buy a house.

How much equity do you have in the place you live in? 

5 hours ago, inbruges said:

Agreed. The purpose was to get the referendum and then win it. 

The job is done. UKIP achieved more than most parties (and Governments) even achieve.

Edited by Errol

5 hours ago, inbruges said:

UKIP did well in 2004 Euro elections before he was leader.  He managed to make it a one man band party and now he is no longer leader they have problems.

I am not quite sure why he did that.

1 hour ago, happyguy said:

Have a masters from Oxford Uni little boy, own my own very successful business, own my own 5 bed house with no mortgage - was able to afford to give both my kids a big deposit to buy a house.

BottyMcBotface

Lord Cooper of Windrush (yup it's a real Tory Lord's name) stated that those constituencies where the non indigenous populations are less than 70% will be almost impossible for the Tories to win. He calculated that by 2020 there will be about 120 parliamentary seats where this is the case. This is now the core Labour parliamentary vote. Not the white working class of old. 

With the demographic changes continuing apace, we are about 2 general elections away from there being a sitting left wing, pro immigration government in the UK. 

5 minutes ago, newbonic said:

Lord Cooper of Windrush (yup it's a real Tory Lord's name) stated that those constituencies where the non indigenous populations are less than 70% will be almost impossible for the Tories to win. He calculated that by 2020 there will be about 120 parliamentary seats where this is the case. This is now the core Labour parliamentary vote. Not the white working class of old. 

With the demographic changes continuing apace, we are about 2 general elections away from there being a sitting left wing, pro immigration government in the UK. 

The Tories first promised to bring net migration down to the mere tens of thousands at the General Election in 2010. George Osborne subsequently confessed in the pages of the Evening Standard that nothing material had been done to realise that ambition because no-one in the cabinet actually believed in it. Bit late in the day for regrets.

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

UKIP did well in 2004 Euro elections before he was leader.  He managed to make it a one man band party and now he is no longer leader they have problems.

I am not quite sure why he did that.

Quite.Ukip's weaknes (and possibly it's strength)was that it became dominated by Farage and he was more than happy to excercise almost total control over it.As a result he was unable to build a broad coalition.

Ukip became a depository for a lot of dissatisfied people, and they haven't gone away, they're just not voting Ukip at the minute and Ukip without the great cause jsut doesn't have the wherewithal to field candidates let alone contest seats.

A portion of the UK electorate is waiting for a populist alternative I think.

2 hours ago, happyguy said:

So if his house was worth more that would make him a better person...

18 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Quite.Ukip'sknes (and possibly it's strength)was that it became dominated by Farage and he was more than happy to excercise almost total control over it.As a result he was unable to build a broad coalition.

Ukip became a depository for a lot of dissatisfied people, and they haven't gone away, they're just not voting Ukip at the minute and Ukip without the great cause jsut doesn't have the wherewithal to field candidates let alone contest seats.

A portion of the UK electorate is waiting for a populist alternative I think.

Yes it is hard to tell whether Farage harmed or helped his cause more on balance.

Personally I think he helped the EU and Nick Clegg and Blair helped UKIP.

As a leave voter Blair persuaded me a lot more than Farage did.

Edited by iamnumerate

14 hours ago, oatbake said:

Looks like Labour are taking a bit of a beating early on...

Some big swings to the Tories, especially in Leave areas.

That's exactly how the MSM have written it up this morning.

A rather more astute analysis here by Craig Murray.

do you have a swimming pool and a pony ?

^^^^^How much equity do you have in the place you live in?^^^^^ 

What a monumental **** thrashing areshole.

Aside from everything else, inc. moans about the whole sorry lot of them of whatever colour, as always when voting yesterday evening I thought how civilised it is.  Ten minute walk to the polling station, no queue, nobody with a gun, nobody  trying to intimidate you, not so much as a PC Plod anywhere. 

So many countries are not so lucky.  I do rather wish there had been a Monster Raving Loony to vote for, though.  I miss the Raving Loonies.