House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Will Hutton, Guardian - Brexit could mean lower house prices, which would be really awful

35 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I just love all the complaints about Brexit, so many of the comments I suspect  are so disingenuous . When they complain that  Brexit will effect us in this and that way, what I suspect they really mean is keeping house prices high has been a huge gamble for a decade now and a recession will ruin it for THEM.

I will be over the moon if we get a recession because in truth we are already in one and have been for a decade, the only reason we cannot feel it is because we have been on a strong pain killer called MORE DEBT ALLOWANCE.

I think I recall Hutton cheerleading the Gordon Brown boom and everything Euro certainly since the early 2000s. According to Wikipedia he had links to a property development company.

It's a pity Hutton doesn't have the space to tell us about how he ran the Industrial Society/Work Foundation into the ground.

I should like will hutton, but i dont. He reminds me of polly toynbee- makes a lot of righteous  noise about economic injustice and the like, but when it comes to the crunch, they both defend vested interests and the status quo. 

His analysis of th

14 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I like the bit where he cites issues with the UK's labour market health, while conveniently ignoring the role membership of the EU plays in it.

Agree, he says some good things but doesn't make the point.

"Since the financial crisis, real wages have fallen by a stunning 10%. Over the last generation, the UK has become the global leader in creating low-paid, low-skill, casualised work. In any three-year period, such is the churn in the labour market that a third of the workforce find themselves in poverty. Without either strong trade unions or a burgeoning knowledge economy, the condition of working life is one of profound hardship and stress."

And he says that the housing market is monstrously overvalued but, rather than putting these things together (and the 'credit allowance' that keeps it all up in the air, like inbruges says), he wanders off into brexit territory and seems to tack it on the end of the pipe as some sort of time-travelling causal factor. Very odd.