House Price Crash Forum
999house

Ive given in....Going to buy first house

Been on here for ages, but cant wait any longer. Cant keep giving away fees on agencies, deposits and sky high rents and have feck all left to show for it.

Gonna bite the bullet and get on the ladder. Hopefully prices will come down and help my 2nd step. 😫

1 hour ago, 999house said:

Been on here for ages, but cant wait any longer. Cant keep giving away fees on agencies, deposits and sky high rents and have feck all left to show for it.

Gonna bite the bullet and get on the ladder. Hopefully prices will come down and help my 2nd step. 😫

Personally I cannot afford renting as well, but I also cannot afford to buy, welcome to Britain 😪

I've recently done the same. Sick of renting making me feel like some second-string human. It's a peculiar mix of feelings, being pro -hpc, but still buying.

Felt like a 'lose-lose' situation, so may as well join the government's chosen 'winners'....for however long that lasts.

Wish i had done the same in 2013 was about to then HTB sent prices through the roof.

A complete cluster fck of a situation all round, sadly we got house price inflation from then onwards, the house price crash is always just a year away.

Good luck to you hope you're not taking on too much debt.

Good luck. This site proves timing is impossible to call and most here eventually bite the bullet. I read from 2009 - 2016 as a renter and buying went against everything I believe. There will be a crash I'm sure, but I'm also sure the future you will be a lot more prosperous for this decision. 

Edited by locky82

I've just given in too after reading this site for >10 years. Although we did get nearly 15% off the asking price, it was still insanely overpriced. Still hoping for the crash for younger friends or a possible step up in size.

24 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

Wish i had done the same in 2013 was about to then HTB sent prices through the roof.

A complete cluster fck of a situation all round, sadly we got house price inflation from then onwards, the house price crash is always just a year away.

Good luck to you hope you're not taking on too much debt.

yeah unless a crash assumes, 2013 was around the last time to join the madness. 

stuff near me is nearly twice as much as 2013. 

cant say i care anymore. 

Can't say I blame anyone who does (I did three years ago after all and am much prefering it, even with the downsides like having to replace the boiler myself when it died rather than get the landlord to). At the end of the day you still need to live your life no matter how much everything else tries to make that difficult. At least having being on here you'll almost certainly be taking a sensible view of it and no borrowing every last penny possible to offer over the asking price because houses only ever go up.

9 minutes ago, longgone said:

yeah unless a crash assumes, 2013 was around the last time to join the madness. 

stuff near me is nearly twice as much as 2013. 

cant say i care anymore. 

Houses that i  hummed and hawed about that were going for £220-230k, are now about £100,000 more.

I do care about it as my kids 4.5 years older and i've not got anywhere settled, but a shed load of now debased currency.

5 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

Houses that i  hummed and hawed about that were going for £220-230k, are now about £100,000 more.

I do care about it as my kids 4.5 years older and i've not got anywhere settled, but a shed load of now debased currency.

well i have no responsibilities, the way you have to live now unless you are well healed i am glad i stayed a bachelor.

It`s not that i can`t buy it`s just i could have got a 3 bed detached detached for 200 + although in need of work 15 miles from london now it`s 300k for a 1 bed flat. 😓

i often wonder if i had responsibilities life would have turned out better.  

9 minutes ago, longgone said:

well i have no responsibilities, the way you have to live now unless you are well healed i am glad i stayed a bachelor.

It`s not that i can`t buy it`s just i could have got a 3 bed detached detached for 200 + although in need of work 15 miles from london now it`s 300k for a 1 bed flat. 😓

i often wonder if i had responsibilities life would have turned out better.  

The only reason i am in this country is because of the little one. IMHO there  is no hope for a decent HPC without something drastic happening in the economy. We may get stagnation and small drops until that time arises. But even when the economy does go into a recession/depression it'll be more printy printy of sorts meaning my deposit (which ought to be enough to buy outright) gets even further debased.

A no win situation.

Good luck - we came close this week to putting in an offer for similar reasons.

The upshot is that at the end of the day nobody really knows what is going to happen and you need to make the best decisions you can for you and your family. 

4 hours ago, 999house said:

Good luck and I hope it goes well. We bought last summer and got 12% off the asking price as they needed a quick sale and the house needed a bit of work before we could even move in. 

It's a great (and slightly scary) feeling spending all that debt and nothing really immediately changes. But each month you make your payments and it chips away at the mortgage value, as does inflation. 

I used to joke with my Economics course mates that house prices don't go up, the value of the pound goes down. Probably truer now than ever. 

The other really nice thing (for me) is that I used to be really resentful of the whole situation I was in, high house prices, no interest on my deposit, every government policy designed seemingly to keep prices high or push them higher and so many useless boomers sitting pretty whereas if they were starting today they'd be f****ed talking down to me for renting (I still resent those particular people, not boomers in general). Now I literally don't care anywhere near as much other than I would just like to see a decent housing market like I'd like to see the war in Syria sorted and plastic free oceans. It is a nice feeling. As is not giving any more money to those vermin lettings agents or crap landlords (I was lucky with mine). 

4 hours ago, 999house said:

I’m not far behind you.  Think I’m going to give it another 6 months and see how the land lies.  I really thought, at the beginning of this year, that prices were on their way down.  Doesn’t seem to be happening outside London.

I’ll be looking to tie myself in to the lowest mortgage rate I can find for as long as possible.  If I can’t buy a house at a reasonable price then I’ll make sure I pay as little interest on the debt as possible.  

I dislike renting, not just the fees and having to deal with LA/LLs, it’s the lack of feeling settled as you know you could have to move every year.  This stops me from becoming part of a community.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

1 hour ago, lombardo said:

Buy crypto instead. Cash out in two years with a bigger deposit.

Bit of a gamble. There should be an alternative place to put ones money such as a normalised savings account at circa 5% ( giving a return over inflation) or more confidence in the UK Equity Market. Not much chance of that when, even on here, every reversal is met with glee and a bubble is called everytime it has the temerity to get 10 % above the level it set at the end of the last century. Even though Equity gains are often at the expense of property busts and vice versa as the money doesn't disappear it migrates. 90s property to Equity...noughties Equity to property etc.

No doubt which way Government and CBs are trying to steer the money though. Adarmo nailed it...no interest on his deposit.

Edited by crashmonitor

3 minutes ago, TonyJ said:

The ripple from London seems to be so slow as to be non-existent. I lived in Fulham, and terraced houses there actually peaked around 2014, and here we are 4 years later and it still has not really rippled out yet. The Telegraph, which I accept is biased towards its advertisers, said the other day that property outside London and the SE has not had the same HPI, and is not overvalued - maybe it is telling the truth?

all the cheapo stuff 300k ish before HTB is now 600k ish all the expensive houses 800-1.2m have not really changed much. 

it all indicates to people borrowing as much as they can which in turn makes the same bland dross over priced. 

IT is beyond corrupt.  sorry but i am not paying anyone a profit for the last 5-6 years even if inflation takes the lot. i will just start from 0 again. 

3 hours ago, btd1981 said:

I've recently done the same. Sick of renting making me feel like some second-string human. It's a peculiar mix of feelings, being pro -hpc, but still buying.

Felt like a 'lose-lose' situation, so may as well join the government's chosen 'winners'....for however long that lasts.

I can understand your feelings, and to be honest it is all such a mess that when it does go BANG! nobody is going to be paying their debts back anyway

1 hour ago, Mancunian284 said:

I’m not far behind you.  Think I’m going to give it another 6 months and see how the land lies.  I really thought, at the beginning of this year, that prices were on their way down.  Doesn’t seem to be happening outside London.

I’ll be looking to tie myself in to the lowest mortgage rate I can find for as long as possible.  If I can’t buy a house at a reasonable price then I’ll make sure I pay as little interest on the debt as possible.  

I dislike renting, not just the fees and having to deal with LA/LLs, it’s the lack of feeling settled as you know you could have to move every year.  This stops me from becoming part of a community.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

That's the biggest issue with me, you never quite totally fit in and sub consciously I think maybe we hold something back. Try as I do though to get involved with anything happening in the village I always get a few snotty types  that just will not except me, and before someone says just ignore the it is not always that easy.

Renting is a s**t way of living compared to ownership, but there you go, it has its uses when you need to be flexible or when you are young, but for  long term it's no way of life, far more regulation is needed for long term rental and fines and compensation if that is broken.

Lots of people buying or thinking if buying on HPC.com, and good luck to you all and I wish you well. But seriously the day you move in and prices collapse 40% how will that make you feel?