House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Labour's Shadow housing minister wants free SMI back

4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Wonder if the others who didnt sign up magically found money under the back on the sofa that they never knew they had .. or if family is helping. They can sign up for it and repay the loan so no one will be getting evicted.

2 hours ago, TJHooker said:

Wonder if the others who didnt sign up magically found money under the back on the sofa that they never knew they had .. or if family is helping. They can sign up for it and repay the loan so no one will be getting evicted.

Quite. We have a tiny change towards fairness and normality, with years and years of warning. Total silence through that period. Then as soon as it happens, huge screams for it to be reversed. *****s.

A DWP spokesman said: “Over time, someone’s house is likely to increase in value, so it’s reasonable that anyone who has received financial help towards their mortgage should be asked to pay that back. 

Hard to argue with that

Tenants risk homelessness every 6 - 12 months. Endorsed by government legislation. At least home owners have the option to sell assets or make other financial arrangements. Not forgetting that those home owners are responsible for the financial risks they took when purchasing such a highly priced item. A simple way to reduce those risks is to encourage lower house prices.

Fewer than 10% of those who used to get so-called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) payments have taken up the new loan offered in its place, the figures reveal.

......so the rest have decided they can afterall afford to pay the interest themselves, and would rather not have a charge put against the house then?;)

17 hours ago, winkie said:

......so the rest have decided they can afterall afford to pay the interest themselves, and would rather not have a charge put against the house then?;)

Quite, so making the aims of the policy a slam-dunk success and proof that it could and should have been done years ago.

22 hours ago, winkie said:

I wonder if that's a good indicator of the wider benefits system in general?... i.e. around 10% are truly genuine claimants 

Edited by nome

1 hour ago, nome said:

I wonder if that's a good indicator of the wider benefits system in general?... i.e. around 10% are truly genuine claimants 

When i walk around these days and see the amount of obese, scruffy looking, tattoo'd wasters who look as if they'd not be able to hold down a job until the first tea break i imagine it is fairly high. Though SMI is for your more higher class of benefit claimant so 10% may well show the other 90% were just on the take. And who can blame them for not taking free money.

And who can blame them for not taking free money.

Anyone who pays taxes and is proud & public spirited enough not to want to take money unnecessarily from the state (or rather from their fellow taxpayers).

43 minutes ago, Toast said:

Anyone who pays taxes and is proud & public spirited enough not to want to take money unnecessarily from the state (or rather from their fellow taxpayers).

This has always been my view but I increasingly see that this makes me a total and utter mug and that makes me sad.  In my head people should only take what is rightfully theirs and what they actually need.  I am soooooo wrong.

When i walk around these days and see the amount of obese, scruffy looking, tattoo'd wasters who look as if they'd not be able to hold down a job until the first tea break i imagine it is fairly high. Though SMI is for your more higher class of benefit claimant so 10% may well show the other 90% were just on the take. And who can blame them for not taking free money.

People should be free to live as they wish as long as they not harming others.....someone wearing a tattoo may be a better person than the one wearing the sharp suit, who are we to judge?.....the problem is because the system has allowed people to get away with doing wrong they continue to do wrong if it benefits them.....we have lost our way in regard to being personally accountable for bad practice......including claiming what not entitled to theft, fraud and abstract accounting.....suppose how people wish to live their lives has a lot to do on how they were brought up....two wrongs do not make a right....karma.;)

54 minutes ago, Toast said:

It was more rhetorical. But those proud and public spirited folk you talk of are few and far between. Most will take free money if offered.

2 minutes ago, winkie said:

People should be free to live as they wish as long as they not harming others.....someone wearing a tattoo may be a better person than the one wearing the sharp suit, who are we to judge?.....the problem is because the system has allowed people to get away with doing wrong they continue to do wrong if it benefits them.....we have lost our way in regard to being personally accountable for bad practice......including claiming what not entitled to theft, fraud and abstract accounting.....suppose how people wish to live their lives has a lot to do on how they were brought up....two wrongs do not make a right....karma.;)

Oh come on you know the kind i am talking about, they've always existed but over the last 2 decades since working class jobs got exported and living off the state has become a lifestyle choice they've grown in numbers to the point they're everywhere.

I was born near to Wallsend where the older generation were what you could describe as educated working class, the new lot coming through are aggressive fat thick slobs and seemingly proud of it.

2 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

Oh come on you know the kind i am talking about, they've always existed but over the last 2 decades since working class jobs got exported and living off the state has become a lifestyle choice they've grown in numbers to the point they're everywhere.

I was born near to Wallsend where the older generation were what you could describe as educated working class, the new lot coming through are aggressive fat thick slobs and seemingly proud of it.

Remember TPTB want you to hate and kick downwards because it distracts you from hating and kicking upwards.

4 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

....just goes to show history repeats itself if allowed to.....kids learn by example.;)

3 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Remember TPTB want you to hate and kick downwards because it distracts you from hating and kicking upwards.

:rolleyes:..... Good point.

10 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

No useless aggressive fat slobs should take responsibility for being just that, can't blame the LIBLABCON for everything.

Though obviously the neolibs at the LIBLABCON have created the economic environment to export jobs and replace it with welfare, tattoos and idleness.

2 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

It's perfectly fine to do both. I'm always intrigued as to why many see this as a choice of one or the other ? 

The top and bottom of the country are taking the absolute piss out of those in the middle who actually keep this place afloat (Just).

22 minutes ago, ccc said:

It's perfectly fine to do both. I'm always intrigued as to why many see this as a choice of one or the other ? 

The top and bottom of the country are taking the absolute piss out of those in the middle who actually keep this place afloat (Just).

It is both.....but it is the top that lay down the ground rules........when all about see those above being rewarded for failure, hardly gives a good impression....telling others what they should do, how they should live, but fail themselves to practice what they preach.....;)

2 hours ago, ccc said:

quite right. I hate ALL aggressive fat thick slobs equally, whether they are benefit claimants or whether they are James Corden.