House Price Crash Forum
spyguy

TSBeOnFire!!!!!!

Everyone in the IT biz has been speculating on what went wrong exactly. Pretty much everyone agrees management set a deadline based on cost, engineers all said f-off that is stupid and impossible, ye cannae change the laws of physics and she'll blow, but then got told do it anyway.

5 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Everyone in the IT biz has been speculating on what went wrong exactly. Pretty much everyone agrees management set a deadline based on cost, engineers all said f-off that is stupid and impossible, ye cannae change the laws of physics and she'll blow, but then got told do it anyway.

IT people couldn't be responsible then, has to be someone elses fault.:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Isn't that every project ever?

Very sad. It'll be interesting to learn what the issues were. Possibly a lack of good/strong business analysis and project management.

I never used to let my IT team implement anything without a successful backout plan test.

The other rule is that you only get to control any two of cost, scope and duration - never all three.

51 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

IT people couldn't be responsible then, has to be someone elses fault.:rolleyes:

When we IT people f things up we do it right, no half measures. The thing would not be staggering drunkenly along as now with people being able to login and look at random strangers' accounts, no it would be a smoking offline crater.

49 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

I can get in, but every page is either glacial in speed or timing out with server overloaded (low-level) messages.

"High load on server"

oi5yxu97ltr3.jpg

2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

TSB was desperate to break its ties and costs with Lloyds, so desperate in fact it wasn't really ready and behaved like a precocious kid that thought it was. Absolute shocking incompetence. For God's sake call back the cavalry at least for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=079qcLQkq1M

Wasn't it that Lloyds up the fees to use their system from 93mil to 200mil which drove TSB to move over ...either way as they split from Lloyds they had to move systems eventually but as part of the course in banking IT the clearly cut corners somewhere 

Another way to look at it is this is the fall out from forcing Lloyds to sell off part of the business in the first place ....

The CEO should get his P45 for this. If he created an environment in which the best option for the technical people was to switch this on (seemingly with no way back) instead of standing their ground and saying it wasn't ready yet then he completely failed as a leader.

I read that TSB have hired IBM for help, seems a bit odd. 

Maybe IBM were god's in the 70s but not now, I see them more as a poor quality, offshore anything not nailed down sort of company, with little thought to genuine inivation.

Also if you were in the middle of that complicated mess, the last thing you would want to be doing is explaining to a new person that knows nothing about the system what is going on.

26 minutes ago, reddog said:

Maybe IBM were god's in the 70s but not now, I see them more as a poor quality, offshore anything not nailed down sort of company, with little thought to genuine inivation.

IBM make good acquisitions of smaller software developers and make money out of other people's innovation.

Edited by disenfranchised

31 minutes ago, reddog said:

Also if you were in the middle of that complicated mess, the last thing you would want to be doing is explaining to a new person that knows nothing about the system what is going on.

I've dealt with IBM professionally (two different employers) and they are awful. Their software is not only eye-wateringly expensive in terms of licensing but in my opinion is overly-complicated and of poor quality. And I doubt they'll get anything sorted out quickly (more billable hours). 

Asked by the BBC if he would give up his bonus for this year, Mr Pester said: "The last thing I'm worried about is bonuses and pay."

Sounds like he is not worried about his £5m bonus :)

Edited by Paul77

3 hours ago, Dorkins said:

The CEO should get his P45 for this. If he created an environment in which the best option for the technical people was to switch this on (seemingly with no way back) instead of standing their ground and saying it wasn't ready yet then he completely failed as a leader.

He's not really the CEO. A CEO is as you say a leader who should have the vision and the temperament to say this is what we're going to do. It's hard being country manager of a subsidiary. 

This guy is really just a mid-level manager having to say Yessir to the board of Banco Sabadell. 

Sadly TSB outsourced its technology to its Spanish head masters... Poor project management, poor risk mitigation, blew the management reserve wide open. This is damaging to the banking reputation and the countries hopes to be the global AI head quaters to the world. This is a laughable drag on FTSE 100 banking sector stock valuations... 🤣