House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs Bear

A price 'release' is arriving nearly every day...

...in my inbox - 'release' being their cosy euphemism for 'reduction'. 

It's invariably for some block of newbuild flats in the London area.  I do often still have a good old nose to see what's going for how much, especially reductions, in the local area, so they are kindly sending me details which match my 'search criteria'.  

They've been coming on and off  for some time, but lately the frequency has speeded up dramatically. 

I'm seeing this too. ASPC in Aberdeen refer to it as an 'update'. Usually something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy being reduced by a couple of percent in a too little, too late attempt to capture the fabled spring bounce.

"Oh, you're knocking £2k off the 'offers over' price of your pokey former council flat in a poor state of repair and decoration with electric heating and an EPC of F a dodgy neighbourhood? Hold my beer while I find the chequebook!"

19 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Nationwide's April figure is out on Friday. Despite all the evidence of price falls, what are the odds its another increase?

Odds are 100% for a price increase even if house prices fall

1 hour ago, Mrs Bear said:

It's invariably for some block of newbuild flats in the London area.

That's brilliant I am in with a chance! 

I've scoured central London to find a new build flat but there don't seem to be any. 

/sarc

"Nine Elms Disease" again :)

26 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Nationwide's April figure is out on Friday. Despite all the evidence of price falls, what are the odds its another increase?

Acadata is showing spreading falls across the Boroughs of London(22 out of 33 in march) at the same time as it's posting record highs in the West Mids.

It's a regional game these days.As ever though,where London leads,others wil follow

They can call it what they like...a price reduction is a price reduction.  They only sound silly using such oblique language.

4 minutes ago, TonyJ said:

It's utterly stupid to call them 'price releases'. Few probably have the faintest idea what they are talking about. I wonder how long it will take to start simply calling them 'price reductions'. May as well call them 'price disenthrallments'.

Presumably a price increase is a price incarceration !! Makes more sense!

1 hour ago, Mrs Bear said:

Two more since I posted  that. 

They're coming thick and fast now. 

Have you considered replying to each one saying "what do you mean, 'release', please use the term reduction from now on" every time until they get the message?

53 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

Have you considered replying to each one saying "what do you mean, 'release', please use the term reduction from now on" every time until they get the message?

Er, I think it's probably a computer  sending them, and it's very likely too busy and clever to be arsed with messages from mere humans. 

On 4/25/2018 at 10:37 AM, Mrs Bear said:

...in my inbox - 'release' being their cosy euphemism for 'reduction'. 

It's invariably for some block of newbuild flats in the London area.  I do often still have a good old nose to see what's going for how much, especially reductions, in the local area, so they are kindly sending me details which match my 'search criteria'.  

They've been coming on and off  for some time, but lately the frequency has speeded up dramatically.  

...depends on what you call reduction.

I've been getting those emails too for the past 2 years and they just go to "spam" now (already bought), but when I occasionally check that folder and read those emails, the "reductions" are a joke - whereas prices are a bad joke.

700-800k for a flat in Ickenham or Harefield. "Reduced" from 850k. I mean, sure, 50k is nothing to laugh at, but I wasn't about to pay 800k for a flat anyway. Prices in and around London are retarded. In some cases, they need to drop to about 50% ( yeah, I know, 50% sounds like a lot, but 800k for a flat...?)