House Price Crash Forum

Palma to ban holiday (flat) rentals

HOLA441

Spain's Palma to ban holiday rentals after residents' complaints

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43878007

The Spanish resort city of Palma, on the island of Majorca, is to ban flat owners from renting their apartments to travellers, becoming the first place in Spain to introduce such a measure.

The restrictions follow complaints from residents of rising rents due to short holiday lets through websites and apps.

Palma's mayor says the ban, to be introduced in July, will be a model for cities suffering with mass tourism.

But business associations say many families will be financially impacted.

It was not immediately clear if the ban was restricted only to private flats advertised by their owners on apps or websites.

Houses and chalets will be exempt from the restrictions unless they are located inside protected areas, next to the airport or in industrial zones.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Airbnb is an absolute scourge on many a city around the planet.

Plenty of them have put a stop to it for anything other than its original purpose before it became a simple money making scheme - couch surfing / spare room usage. 

Berlin and New York are two I think that have done this. 

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
12 minutes ago, winkie said:

Spain has put in a lot of obstacles to prevent private holiday let's, to help protect local businesses and jobs, saw that Barcelona has also banned u ber for similar reasons.;)

I dont think AirBnB bans are purely down to protectionism.

There's problems with fire, health and safety and crime.

Hotels are regulated and checked.

Someones spare room ins not.

HOLA447
2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I dont think AirBnB bans are purely down to protectionism.

There's problems with fire, health and safety and crime.

Hotels are regulated and checked.

Someones spare room ins not.

That is why the rules have been put in place that a rented place should have the same services and safety and pay the same costs and taxes as any other professional business such as a hotel.....;)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
19 minutes ago, TonyJ said:

Probably partly because there are so few nice places in the world anymore (we have ruined most places), plus, with growing global wealth, so many more people can afford to visit them and the demand is insatiable. Maybe the answer is to increase the supply of nice places by improving and promoting less popular places.

The thing is.....it is often the less popular places that are the nicest places anyway.....don't tell everyone.;)

HOLA4411
19 minutes ago, winkie said:

The thing is.....it is often the less popular places that are the nicest places anyway.....don't tell everyone.;)

Good luck with that in the Facebook / Instagram era :ph34r:

HOLA4412
3 minutes ago, ccc said:

Good luck with that in the Facebook / Instagram era :ph34r:

You have a point.....thankfully there are still very many people that haven't signed up to it.....different people like different things, sometimes the best places take a bit of effort and planing to get to, many people can't be bothered with all that, prefer the easy life, follow the crowd, everything done for them.....each to their own.....choices.;)

HOLA4413

The official story about effect on local housing costs is not exactly untrue but there is a lot more to it. Don't know about Palma city but on the mainland south of Valencia there have been similar rumblings for ages and some think they will follow with a ban. 

It's not because of popular demand though as non-holiday rents are well-regulated already and remain in line with historical local standards. The holiday let licensing or banning is primarily and heavily lobbied for by the hotel industry which doesn't want the competition. 

Can't believe I am effectively sticking up for BTLers on here but is true. 

HOLA4414
43 minutes ago, winkie said:

It depends what you like.

We like the hustle and bustle of a busy resort (albeit out of season), but I suspect you prefer a quiet, traditional, Spanish village.

HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

It depends what you like.

We like the hustle and bustle of a busy resort (albeit out of season), but I suspect you prefer a quiet, traditional, Spanish village.

I like both......hustle and bustle is good, not all busy places are resorts, by resort mean a place designed and set up to cater for holiday makers and tourists....yes, depends what you like, resorts have a place that is why they are popular.;)

HOLA4416
3 hours ago, winkie said:

Probably partly because there are so few nice places in the world anymore (we have ruined most places), plus, with growing global wealth, so many more people can afford to visit them and the demand is insatiable. Maybe the answer is to increase the supply of nice places by improving and promoting less popular places.

yes but how?

HOLA4417
8 hours ago, ccc said:

Airbnb is an absolute scourge on many a city around the planet.

I disagree.

And how so? You can pick up a place in an expensive city... say Dublin, or London... for a fraction of the big hotels.

Taking advantage people is a different kettle of fish... ie fraudulent practices.

Yes... one could just regulate property in the UK with more zeal... have excluded zones, have licensing, inspections etc... but who's paying for that?

I won't cry for a multinational hotel chain losing occupancy because some student or singleton is renting out their second bedroom for a night. Nor will a shed a tear for a dated family owned dump losing out.

It's called competition.

It's like Ryanair. You get what you pay for. If you want a sub £30/night bed, you can sleep in a hostel or AirBnB.

I've not used a hotel unless its been paid for by work for ages.

Personally I like a place that has pets when travelling... found plenty on AirBnB, gumtree, etc...

AirBnB et al. exist because there was a significant gap in the market.

You're irrational ccc.

HOLA4418
41 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

I disagree.

And how so? You can pick up a place in an expensive city... say Dublin, or London... for a fraction of the big hotels.

Taking advantage people is a different kettle of fish... ie fraudulent practices.

Yes... one could just regulate property in the UK with more zeal... have excluded zones, have licensing, inspections etc... but who's paying for that?

I won't cry for a multinational hotel chain losing occupancy because some student or singleton is renting out their second bedroom for a night. Nor will a shed a tear for a dated family owned dump losing out.

It's called competition.

It's like Ryanair. You get what you pay for. If you want a sub £30/night bed, you can sleep in a hostel or AirBnB.

Personally I like a place that has pets when travelling... found plenty on AirBnB, gumtree, etc...

You're irrational ccc.

This isn't what's happening. That's the entire point. In fact the very point I stated clearly. I'm extremely rational. You just don't know the details of what is going on. Have a wee look into it. Its an eye opener.

These air bnb are taking away places for people to live in. Places that used to be homes. They are now hotel rooms in a shared block.

I will give you a clue. In Edinburgh there are about 6,500 listings. Over half of these are from a 'host' with more than one listing. So they are most likely doing it professionally. These are BTHL.    H = holiday

People are hoovering up places that people used to live in to rent out on a daily basis - which is a nightmare for anyone sharing the block who actually lives there full time - for cash gains. With little rules or regulations of what goes on.

It started off as you say - helping out folk with your spare couch. It ain't anymore. That's the problem people have with it. And that's not irrational. Especially when we all know there is a serious issue with housing in the UK as it is.  

HOLA4419
48 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

I disagree.

It's called competition.

You're irrational ccc.

:lol:

Yep. Ryanair don't have to follow the same rules and regulations of the airline industry as BA and Qantas have to.

You are right. That's me told.....

Its nothing like Ryanair !!

HOLA4420
6 minutes ago, ccc said:

This isn't what's happening. That's the entire point. In fact the very point I stated clearly. I'm extremely rational. You just don't know the details of what is going on. Have a wee look into it. Its an eye opener.

These air bnb are taking away places for people to live in. Places that used to be homes. They are now hotel rooms in a shared block.

I will give you a clue. In Edinburgh there are about 6,500 listings. Over half of these are from a 'host' with more than one listing. So they are most likely doing it professionally. These are BTHL.    H = holiday

People are hoovering up places that people used to live in to rent out on a daily basis - which is a nightmare for anyone sharing the block who actually lives there full time - for cash gains. With little rules or regulations of what goes on.

It started off as you say - helping out folk with your spare couch. It ain't anymore. That's the problem people have with it. And that's not irrational. Especially when we all know there is a serious issue with housing in the UK as it is.  

whatever mate. i said those who are committing fraud are a problem...

and until its against the law to short term share a property you can carry on whinging and stay at the ramada for £200+ /night

HOLA4421
22 minutes ago, ccc said:

This. There are are 50,000 listings in London, with about 50% being entire property and 50% being a room in a property. If we estimate 3 people per full property, that's about 100,000 fewer bedrooms for Londoners. 

Check it out: http://insideairbnb.com/london/

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I doubt there are many British investors with property in Palma, that's where you go to get away from the ex pats/tourists. 

I wouldn't even have thought people would have holiday lets in Palma.  It's a nice enough town but for a holiday you would surely want one of the many actual resorts nearby. 

HOLA4425