House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Confusion of VIs

Should I invest my pension lump sum in another buy to let?

There’s a big market out there for “how to become rich” type schemes. These must be from the same / similar customer base.

I recall a survey of a few hundred people found that 2% of spam / scam cold calls ended up in the person going for it, which makes it well worth the scam callers time to call all and sundry including you and me.

So they had 4 BTL lost 3 , the one they have left is generating a yield but is worth half what they paid and yet the poster still wants to gamble his pension on another one ....

22 minutes ago, Nabby81 said:

So they had 4 BTL lost 3 , the one they have left is generating a yield but is worth half what they paid and yet the poster still wants to gamble his pension on another one ....

Got to be in it to win it !

Should I invest my pension lump sum in another buy to let?

Get in! You'd be mad not to, property only ever goes up, you can't loose :wacko:! DO IT NOOOOOW!

"Should I invest my pension lump sum in another buy to let?"

YES.

So there is one more person I can laugh my f*****g head off at when he loses the lot, greedy w****r

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Got to be in it to win it !

Exactly. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Like standing in front of a charging train and throwing a stick at it.

37 minutes ago, inbruges said:

YES.

So there is one more person I can laugh my f*****g head off at when he loses the lot, greedy w****r

I say no - he is going to buy outright so could never be repossessed. All that buying will do is keep another person in rental accommodation. 

7 hours ago, inbruges said:

YES.

Hr's already lost the lot once before and this f****n moron is back for more.

There really is just no helping some people.

The other issue he's missing is that maybe at 65 being a landlord is fine but by age 75 he just won't want the hassle.  Never mind what produces the best returns, all people want in their later old age is just a bit of money to live on, few presents for the grandchildren, no hassle.  Dealing with tax regime changes and problem tenants is no way to spend your last few years.

9 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

Shame on you, crypto blogger decides to invest in property with crypto profits. Unsubscribed.

hmmm. needs a bit more practice on market cycles methinks.

having said that,he looks about 21,so if he does make enough on crypto profits to buy a pad(as a first home not an investment) then good luck to him.

1 minute ago, scottbeard said:

The other issue he's missing is that maybe at 65 being a landlord is fine but by age 75 he just won't want the hassle.  Never mind what produces the best returns, all people want in their later old age is just a bit of money to live on, few presents for the grandchildren, no hassle.  Dealing with tax regime changes and problem tenants is no way to spend your last few years.

That could also be said for many people at any age.;)

5 hours ago, scottbeard said:

The other issue he's missing is that maybe at 65 being a landlord is fine but by age 75 he just won't want the hassle.  Never mind what produces the best returns, all people want in their later old age is just a bit of money to live on, few presents for the grandchildren, no hassle.  Dealing with tax regime changes and problem tenants is no way to spend your last few years

he can sell it when he is 75  in the meantime he has made a lot of money 

50 minutes ago, happyguy said:

nice guy

Thanks , yes I am, there is just not 1% of apologist in me when it comes to the UK rental market. Yes a percentage of them will be throwing themselves off buildings when their "property only ever goes up" plan fails, will I shed a tear, no.

18 hours ago, Nabby81 said:

Not unheard of, I once worked with someone who had taken 18 months off to be a full time landlord and lost money (she didn't say how much) she was planning to invest in BTL again, after she had paid off her debts from the last time (as she started in 2003 or earlier and failed in 2004, she must have been very unlucky or something to lose money).

I've given up on UK society and it's economy. Finally had enough of the assaults on freedom of speech and the creation of a debt enforced neo-feudal class system due to a long line of visionless authoritarian governments. From here on I'm going to watch it collapse and give as few ******s as possible. The bigger the collapse the more thrilling it will be.

So yes. Buy another BTL. Spend as much as you can. Charge the highest rent you can. Spend as little as possible on maintenance and upkeep. If the tenants complain, ignore it until you can evict them. Maximise your profits in every possible way. Start farming migrants on an industrial HMO scale. Really enjoy yourself and your powerful empire.

This is a very good example of throwing the good money after the bad (sunk cost fallacy).  Could happen to anyone really and not necessarily from the financial investment angle.  I have certainly done it and am probably unintentionally doing it now in some ways.

However, no part of me feels sorry for the affected individuals.  People farming destroys lives, and I hope they lose all their pension and property, and end up renting like some of us have to.

8 hours ago, happyguy said:

he can sell it when he is 75  in the meantime he has made a lot of money 

Only if his luck greatly improves.

The fact he intends to repeat his failed get rich strategy in the current much harsher climate tells me it won't 

8 hours ago, happyguy said:

nice guy

I hope they slip over a banana skin and fall into a pit of marmite making them cry so much they almost drown in their own tears, then their head explodes and grows back to explode again. Then they have to put socks on while their feet are damp, making it awkward to put the socks on. After this they are whipped with beige ship cruise style trousers.

I think this story just show how hard wired buying a property is in to the UK population. This guy should even be able to remember the proper crashes from the 80’s and 90’s yet here he is lining up at the cliff like a lemming.