House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
destroyah

misrepresentation

hello there,

we were looking to buy a house which was marketed as a four bed house.

turns out the whole second floor does not have building regs hence the valuation is a total joke.

surveyor says ea should not have marketed said property as two floors four bed when the second floor

is legally only loft space.

We have pulled out.  My question is do i have any recourse against the ea for misrepresenting the property?

i obviously lost 500 quid worth of survey.

1 minute ago, destroyah said:

hello there,

we were looking to buy a house which was marketed as a four bed house.

turns out the whole second floor does not have building regs hence the valuation is a total joke.

surveyor says ea should not have marketed said property as two floors four bed when the second floor

is legally only loft space.

We have pulled out.  My question is do i have any recourse against the ea for misrepresenting the property?

i obviously lost 500 quid worth of survey.

In my opinion the agents would be liable for your abortive costs under the Consumer Protection Regulations........refer them to the estate agents ombudsman scheme if they are registered with them. If not, see you in the small claims court.........they'll pay £500 just to see it go away.

if you ask for details of their professional indemnity insurance that usually worries them a bit.

Let us know how you get on!

an update on this.

i put in a formal complaint against the EA and got a reply saying that

they would not accept liability but out of goodwill they would pay half the fee.

wrote back quoting this

https://www.tpos.co.uk/news-media-and-press-releases/case-studies/item/more-problems-down-below

git a reply stating they do not accept liability but out of goodwill they will reimburse the full fee.

so whatever anyone thinks the vermin called estate agents can be held to account

for their bull.hit.