Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Lurkerbelow

Labour seeks to lift financial curbs on council house building

Recommended Posts

Labour came out with their green paper on housing today.   There were several parts to it but the big one, the important one, is this.   They will allow councils to borrow to build.   The plan would be to have the state borrow via gilts at its current negative rates, and lend that on to fund house building by councils.   They are not talking small sums of money either.   There's lots more in the original FT article.

 

Quote

https://www.ft.com/content/91e636ac-431d-11e8-93cf-67ac3a6482fd

Labour seeks to lift financial curbs on council house building

The Labour party would lift borrowing caps for all local councils to build new homes as part of a 50-point housing plan to be set out by leader Jeremy Corbyn on Thursday.

Labour’s plans for 100,000 new social housing units every year would be delivered by both housing associations and councils. The scheme — estimated to cost at least £4bn a year — would be funded by Labour’s proposed “National Transformation Fund”, a £250bn lender funded by state borrowing.

 

 

Edited by Lurkerbelow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Oki said:

That man is a f____ing idiot but I'd vote for him twice if I could..

I know what you mean.   I am very much not a fan of his foreign policy stances, but on bread and butter internal issues like this..... its no contest.   There is no one else who comes remotely close and he gets my vote on those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oki said:

That man is a f____ing idiot but I'd vote for him twice if I could..

The man is an idiot who doesn't believe that people should own the houses that they live in. The government will own the house and maybe allow you to live there.

How will Corbyn allocate these houses? Many in the labour party openly advocate discrimination against white men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Uncle_Kenny said:

The man is an idiot who doesn't believe that people should own the houses that they live in. The government will own the house and maybe allow you to live there.

How will Corbyn allocate these houses? Many in the labour party openly advocate discrimination against white men.

As opposed to private landlords, with their own prejudices..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

I am sure the following Tory party will be rubbing their hands at all that new family silver they can sell.

That would be my fear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back to when first started sell the council stock to council tenants, the tenants that could get a mortgage, had an income and the better council homes usually houses.....one of the main reasons for doing it as I recall was because of the ongoing cost of maintaining the homes....so not only got rid of a liability also got the sale money to spend.........over the years though are now having to spend much more, the assets have been sold, the money spent......short-termism privatisation in practice.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience of growing up in council housing and housing association was pretty good, and there was a big community. After renting privately when leaving home for almost 10 years, I certainly would like to see people have the option of council housing over a price gouging private landlord! 

I bought a newish build 2 years ago to get out of the increasing rent and lack of security in the PRS, and while it's a nice looking house, the walls are thin and garden is small. The ex council houses nearby admitely look slightly outdated now but still boast big gardens and the fact they've been up for many decades. 

As the establishment don't like Corbyn he'll get my vote. Building council houses would not generate the obscene profits in asset flipping houses, so he must be stopped at all costs. Those share dividends and bonuses can't pay themselves ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Assume The Opposite said:

My experience of growing up in council housing and housing association was pretty good, and there was a big community. After renting privately when leaving home for almost 10 years, I certainly would like to see people have the option of council housing over a price gouging private landlord! 

I bought a newish build 2 years ago to get out of the increasing rent and lack of security in the PRS, and while it's a nice looking house, the walls are thin and garden is small. The ex council houses nearby admitely look slightly outdated now but still boast big gardens and the fact they've been up for many decades. 

As the establishment don't like Corbyn he'll get my vote. Building council houses would not generate the obscene profits in asset flipping houses, so he must be stopped at all costs. Those share dividends and bonuses can't pay themselves ;) 

Profits from house building are not as obscene as the payroll from councils and LHAs.

Trus mt me. Id rather deal with private companies than the public sector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon after the Tories get absolutely smashed in the local elections in May we will see some major announcement from them on lifting the cap/a proper social house building programme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fru-gal said:

I reckon after the Tories get absolutely smashed in the local elections in May we will see some major announcement from them on lifting the cap/a proper social house building programme.

It'll be interesting to see how they do.   They are supposedly level pegging with Labour but I've just got that niggling feeling that there is a hell of a lot of buried anger out there among generation rent that the polls are not capturing.   It'll be interesting to see if I'm right in that or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fru-gal said:

I reckon after the Tories get absolutely smashed in the local elections in May we will see some major announcement from them on lifting the cap/a proper social house building programme.

Nah, May will create another diversion by declaring war on Mongolia for possessing Yaks of mass destruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of housing available from councils is a national disgrace. My grandfather and grandmother lived renting their whole life, looked after it, never forced to move "cause cashing in innit!" Big enough to raise a family, where is that now? Renting from council is limited to flats and shiteholes only or you take your chances private which is worse, no comebacks if it's not fit for purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2018 at 12:24 AM, Uncle_Kenny said:

The man is an idiot who doesn't believe that people should own the houses that they live in. The government will own the house and maybe allow you to live there.

Home ownership is collapsing, and yet Corbyn is the one who doesn’t believe in home ownership?  

Oh, OK, that makes sense.

Council houses are vastly better than renting from some slimy landlord who ‘owns the house and might let you live in it’, for a while at least.  

A tyrannical dictator is never better than a democratic government, not at a national level and certainly not in your own damn home.

Oh, and landlords already do discriminate against single men, so even your SJW ******** is just ********.  ******** squared.

 

Edited by BuyToLeech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, fru-gal said:

I reckon after the Tories get absolutely smashed in the local elections in May we will see some major announcement from them on lifting the cap/a proper social house building programme.

TM is a pathological liar even by the politician standards, she will say whatever is needed to stay in power but will do nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BuyToLeech said:

Home ownership is collapsing, and yet Corbyn is the one who doesn’t believe in home ownership?  

Oh, OK, that makes sense.

Council houses are vastly better than renting from some slimy landlord who ‘owns the house and might let you live in it’, for a while at least.  

A tyrannical dictator is never better than a democratic government, not at a national level and certainly not in your own damn home.

Oh, and landlords already do discriminate against single men, so even your SJW ******** is just ********.  ******** squared.

 

Corbyn is a Marxist and so he doesn't believe in private property. The fact that home ownership is collapsing doesn't mean that Corbyn supports it. Neither of the two main parties do right now.

Personally I believe that the person who lives in a house should be the same as the person who owns it. No private landlords, no council houses.

Your comment about landlords discriminating against certain tenants just proves my point. This is why I believe that the people who live in a house should be the same as the people who own the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, slawek said:

TM is a pathological liar even by the politician standards, she will say whatever is needed to stay in power but will do nothing. 

99% of politicians are pathological liars that is why so many people are disillusioned with politics, no longer believe the mainstream news and gravitate towards extreme options/opinions. 

Edited by fru-gal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

99% of politicians are pathological liars that is why so many people are disillusioned with politics, no longer believe the mainstream news and gravitate towards extreme options/opinions. 

We have got politicians we deserve. We vote for them. There is a plenty of people on this forum who voted or would have voted TM. We should be disillusioned with people, politicians are just a mirror of the society. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uncle_Kenny said:

Corbyn is a Marxist and so he doesn't believe in private property. The fact that home ownership is collapsing doesn't mean that Corbyn supports it. Neither of the two main parties do right now.

Personally I believe that the person who lives in a house should be the same as the person who owns it. No private landlords, no council houses.

Your comment about landlords discriminating against certain tenants just proves my point. This is why I believe that the people who live in a house should be the same as the people who own the house.

Oh Lordy.   There isn't any country in the world where home ownership rates are 100%.   All countries need some moderate portion of its property stock available for rent.   That's just a fact.   To try to say otherwise is to deny reality.   So the question is not whether we should have some homes available for rent, which we for a fact 100% need to have, but how its organized, and what the optimum way of doing it is.   And personally I'd vastly prefer we go back to those rental homes being owned by councils and rented out at modest rates, than be owned by profiteering parasitical and gouging BTL'ers who 100% see it as only a money making scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BuyToLeech said:

Home ownership is collapsing, and yet Corbyn is the one who doesn’t believe in home ownership?  

Oh, OK, that makes sense.

Council houses are vastly better than renting from some slimy landlord who ‘owns the house and might let you live in it’, for a while at least.  

A tyrannical dictator is never better than a democratic government, not at a national level and certainly not in your own damn home.

Oh, and landlords already do discriminate against single men, so even your SJW ******** is just ********.  ******** squared.

 

Plus he 100% ignores the fact that if good quality council housing starts becoming available to rent, the BTL'ers being undercut will have no choice but to sell up and take the hit.   The availability of council housing put an end to slumlord profiteering in the past, and it can do so again.

Some people just hate Corbyn so much that it blinds them to all reason even if he proposes good things like this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/04/2018 at 4:09 PM, Lurkerbelow said:

 

Some people just hate Corbyn so much that it blinds them to all reason even if he proposes good things like this.

 

He’s a Marxist, hard left blah blah

When pressed though, few who spout this nonsense ever actually identify any concreare Marxist policy which isn’t already implemented by our more social democratic friends on the continent.

My mother is the same. Yet when I asked her why, she had no answer. I helped her out a bit. I asked Was it the plans to renationalise the utilities and railways that’s hard left?

”Oh no they should never have left public ownership”

I give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 301 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.