House Price Crash Forum
Uncle_Kenny

I've just seen someone camping by the side of the road

Today, a beautiful sunny day I might add, whilst sitting in traffic I noticed a tent and a washing line with clothes drying alongside the dual carriage way.

I am based in the home counties.

Anyone else seen something like this?

I've noticed a big increase in homelessness everywhere I go. But in my home town (Chichester) what's new is that they all have tents - in the centre of town, pitched in doorways, even in Waitrose carpark. The authorities aren't moving them on; wonder if they're being given the tents by overstretched agencies/shelters?  

Not a bad thing really; a better night for them than in a box, and it makes homelessness more visible, forcing action.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, happyguy said:

I would not camp at Aldi 

Nor me. At least in the Waitrose car park a midnight kicking is from a decent pair of leather shoes..

On 18/04/2018 at 10:06 PM, Uncle_Kenny said:

Today, a beautiful sunny day I might add, whilst sitting in traffic I noticed a tent and a washing line with clothes drying alongside the dual carriage way.

I am based in the home counties.

Anyone else seen something like this?

Yes, we go hiking a lot and I’ve seen what look like homeless people camping out a few times.  Hidden just to the side of paths, behind a tree.  We spoke to the man we saw in the lakes and he said he had moved from Liverpool as he felt safer in the lakes.  He said he found people to be more sympathetic up there (probably because it’s more unusual to see people who are obviously homeless) and he walks into the local village every afternoon as the bakery will give him leftover food for free at closing time.

It is also a relatively common sight on the sides of the tow paths next to the canals - in Manchester.  I cycle here regularly and it seems to be getting worse.  Mainly Eastern Europeans from what I can hear.

On 20/04/2018 at 10:12 PM, Slimline said:

Don't let the 'upon thames' fool you. 😆

It's periodically IN the Thames. There's a reason why Sasha Baron Cohen chose it as Ali Gs chav base. 

I've seen an encampment of tents last Summer in Richmond. A316 Richmond side as you drive through Deer Park. Tents, washing lines, the lot. If you're going to camp you may as well make it somewhere decent.

There has been a tent on the pavement of Kingston High Street for a few months now. For those that know the area, the High Street is not actually the main shopping street, but the one running along the river towards Surbiton.

It is a really busy location, but I suppose if the owner tries to put it somewhere quieter, they are more likely to be moved on.

Last summer, I noticed a big increase in genuine homeless people in Surbiton. Because of it's busy station, Surbiton tends to suffer from a lot of fake homeless beggars preying on commuters and then going home, but these ones just seemed to camp in local parks (without tents). I never saw them begging at all.

Sad times, but unsurprising given what has happened.