House Price Crash Forum

Just got notification of the latest British Gas price rise.

Standing charge per day. Both Electric & Gas now 26p goes up to 38p.

I mean, bloody hell, how are they allowed to do that? A 50% increase! £90 a year before I even turn the heating on!

You might say switch supplier, but i'm a renter with instructions in my contract not to change any suppliers. I'm a renter, so can't take out a fixed term 'offer' as I may be moving on 6 months from now anyway.

I'm thinking that Energy is yet another essential thing in life which our Governments have failed in their duty to safeguard properly.

Add it to Shelter/ Transport/ Education/ Crime/ Population/ Food etc.

Or am I over-reacting, and who should I be blaming - will it be Russia, Assad or Brex-it?

Yes I suppose I could do that Cosmic, but what then happens when the company I move to pulls the same trick of imposing a massive increase on loyal customers?  Who do you recommend I move to anyway, they seem all alike!

Landlords need regulating yes, but the energy suppliers should be regulated also. We are told that they are, but it seems to me that they do what they want.

3 minutes ago, frankief said:

Yes I suppose I could do that Cosmic, but what then happens when the company I move to pulls the same trick of imposing a massive increase on loyal customers?  Who do you recommend I move to anyway, they seem all alike!

Landlords need regulating yes, but the energy suppliers should be regulated also. We are told that they are, but it seems to me that they do what they want.

Do what every one else does and use a comparison site?

55 minutes ago, frankief said:

You might say switch supplier, but i'm a renter with instructions in my contract not to change any suppliers. I'm a renter, so can't take out a fixed term 'offer' as I may be moving on 6 months from now anyway. 

That would be an unenforceable clause. They can ask you to wear a funny hat every Thursday too. Doesn't mean you have to do it. 

Change supplier and shop around. 

1 hour ago, frankief said:

I mean, bloody hell, how are they allowed to do that? A 50% increase! £90 a year before I even turn the heating on!

Did you not get the memo from BOE wages outstripped inflation, house hold disposable income is rising.. 😂 🤪🔨🔨

my council tax is 5.5% increase

train fares are up

gas and electric up

petrol at the pump will be going up if Trump reinstates the Iran sanctions.. Brent crude has already gone past 70.. 74 I think

But I’m better off.. 😂 my wage increase was 1.2% 

I have a British Gas meter in my rental property.. pre pay as well.. the most evil of all meters.. it’s an absolute hassle to change these new smart meters as they are different types..

to get rid of the evil British Gas con artists you have to have a standard meter fitted and their smart meter removed.. then the new company comes and fits their smart meter on another day.. that’s 2 days in doors to switch suppliers! 

31 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

That would be an unenforceable clause. They can ask you to wear a funny hat every Thursday too. Doesn't mean you have to do it. 

Landlord sounds like the sort of dick that would make life even more inconvenient if you challenge their diktats though. 

24 minutes ago, macca13 said:

Did you not get the memo from BOE wages outstripped inflation, house hold disposable income is rising.. 😂 🤪🔨🔨

my council tax is 5.5% increase

train fares are up

gas and electric up

petrol at the pump will be going up if Trump reinstates the Iran sanctions.. Brent crude has already gone past 70.. 74 I think

But I’m better off.. 😂 my wage increase was 1.2% 

I have a British Gas meter in my rental property.. pre pay as well.. the most evil of all meters.. it’s an absolute hassle to change these new smart meters as they are different types..

to get rid of the evil British Gas con artists you have to have a standard meter fitted and their smart meter removed.. then the new company comes and fits their smart meter on another day.. that’s 2 days in doors to switch suppliers! 

Not true I just switched BG to Breeze. True the smart meter mostly becomes useless, no more live tariff info, live usage data, etc, now it only shows the meter reading. But you don't have to change the meter. 

8 minutes ago, Extreme_biker0 said:

Not true I just switched BG to Breeze. True the smart meter mostly becomes useless, no more live tariff info, live usage data, etc, now it only shows the meter reading. But you don't have to change the meter. 

Thanks for the info.. I contacted a company about switching when I moved in, this is what they told me.. so they were clearly peddling false information.. 

it still makes a mockery of the smart meter idea though, they should have made the meters compatible with each other.. just more wasted money funded by the tax payers from crap government policy..  

14 minutes ago, Extreme_biker0 said:

Just had a thought though, was your meter pre pay? I think that’s the issue if moving to a monthly contract.. 

2 hours ago, frankief said:

Standing charge per day. Both Electric & Gas now 26p goes up to 38p

This annoys me ...same with water. High standing charges...little incentive to save or cut back as most cost is standing charge...i could cut back dramatically but cost savings  are marginal. You are screwed whatever. 

1 hour ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

You are probably right, although it seems to be a standard clause in rental agreements in my neck of the woods.

2 hours ago, frankief said:

I'm thinking that Energy is yet another essential thing in life which our Governments have failed in their duty to safeguard properly.

Or am I over-reacting, and who should I be blaming - will it be Russia, Assad or Brex-it?

European gas inventories are almost exhausted. Replenishing those stocks over the summer is going to be very costly.

Next winter's gas already looks like being the most expensive ever.

LONDON (Reuters) - Benchmark British wholesale gas prices will stay elevated for the rest of 2018, as operators across Europe race to replenish inventories that have plunged to their lowest in at least five years.

Prices soared to record highs in March as freezing temperatures lifted gas demand to its highest level since 2010, drawing down stocks across Europe and exacerbating tightness from outages and reduced liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports.

Britain, whose gas prices are a benchmark for other European hubs, relies on reserves to manage its winter demand. It will need to refill at record pace this summer, at a time when European nations are also chasing extra supplies.

Adding to Britain’s headache, what was its largest storage site, Rough, has now closed, removing an extra cushion to meet winter demand that once had capacity to inject gas into the national network for 90 consecutive days if needed.

Prices soared to record highs in March as freezing temperatures lifted gas demand to its highest level since 2010, drawing down stocks across Europe and exacerbating tightness from outages and reduced liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports.

Britain, whose gas prices are a benchmark for other European hubs, relies on reserves to manage its winter demand. It will need to refill at record pace this summer, at a time when European nations are also chasing extra supplies.

Adding to Britain’s headache, what was its largest storage site, Rough, has now closed, removing an extra cushion to meet winter demand that once had capacity to inject gas into the national network for 90 consecutive days if needed.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-gas-prices-analysis/race-to-rebuild-european-gas-inventories-supports-british-prices-idUSKBN1GZ23S

Now where's that thread about buying an RV, fitting it with solar panals and sodding off to Portugal

Sounds more appealing every time i hear these anecdotes 

We are being played..

..again

Raising the standing charge from 26p to 38p is not on......the old system was far better in many ways where the first few units cost a certain price and then all subsequent units dropped in price......no standing charge, meaning if not using the fuel you are not paying for it......different tariffs suit different people, nice to have a choice.......what energy companies should be selling is the price per unit plus the cost of rental (standing charge) including tax.......they love to confuse matters by sometimes quoting without tax and sometimes not even mentioning the cost of the unit only the monthly cost which actually means nothing.....smart meters are not telling people much, only how much fuel they are using, not what they are paying for it in comparison to what others charge......;)

12 hours ago, frankief said:

My ex-supplier Fairerpower (via Ovo) whacked my standing charge up from 13p a day each to 27.48p. I've just switched to Octopus Energy 17p standing charge, 2.7p Gas and 13p Electricity fixed into 2019.

I have a funny set up with the gas as it's transported by someone else into the estate. Octopus were the only firm to pick that up on sign-up. They asked for the meter number immediately and switched in 2 or 3 weeks, other times it's taken over 6 months. I'm impressed.

17 hours ago, frankief said:

Probably irrelevant to your case but beware the "enforced" imposition of Spark Energy when renting. Spark's business model includes bunging landlords and letting agencies around £25 every time they "persuade" a new tenant to sign up with them (which translates as hide the fact that they're doing this in the tiny print in the bowels of the contract). They're expensive, their customer "service" is laughable (I speak from painful personal experience) and the default option is to shove you onto the most expensive tariff. More about this here.

Might be a little off topic, in which case apologies. But absolutely everything in this wretched country is a scam these days...

Edited by Shrink Proof

18 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Do what every one else does and use a comparison site?

even better some companies will even do everything for you and keep you on the smallest tariff.

How does it work? well they have a large client base and they have more negotiating power. I can give the name of the company I used to work for in PM if requested. Works for both business and household accounts. 

On 18/04/2018 at 10:18 PM, macca13 said:

Thanks for the info.. I contacted a company about switching when I moved in, this is what they told me.. so they were clearly peddling false information.. 

it still makes a mockery of the smart meter idea though, they should have made the meters compatible with each other.. just more wasted money funded by the tax payers from crap government policy..  

From reading about it the current smart meters only work with the supplier who installed them. Otherwise they are a dumb meter.. The next generation ones will work across the board and will connect to the government communications network (ran by Crapita) once it's ready.

Npower gave me a random email about my 'smart meter installation date'.. funny how I'd never set one up. :blink:

I told them I don't want one, the rollout will be paid by customers not the govt, and I have privacy and health concerns. Was removed from the list:P

Edited by Assume The Opposite
edit

I thought price rises were a good thing?  Being very selfish, anything that stresses the economy via reduced discretionary spending should accelerate the crash we are all waiting (patiently) for.

We're on a dual fuel fixed til August 19, currently paying £38 per month ( fixed in August 17). Just logged into our account and the cheapest fixed  switch is now £52 per month.

On another matter we had our old imperial gas meter changed to metric last week. Didn't realise the old meter was imperial and couldn't understand why it was moving three times faster. British Gas could have said, until I did research I thought we had a dud. I guess only HPC skinflints check meters especially new ones, guess I should have taken more notice of the imperial conversion divisible by 2.83 on the ebills too. Btw if you suspect a dud meter it costs £300 to get tested at your expense.

Edited by crashmonitor