Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
jimmy2x3

everywhere is absolutely dead

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I don't even need to do that because I am a maniokleptic. I walk backwards into shops and leave things.

Leave it for others to get rid of....I see, but plenty will buy it.....preloved but better than new.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bricks n' mortar said:


There's a huge amount of tasks getting cut out by cards and contactless technology.  Not just the bits you see at the till.  No need for emptying cash out of tills, having a secure room on the premises, and daily runs with an armoured car.

Which is an argument for pushing it from the shop's point of view, but not from mine (I'd also argue that that isn't actually more being done with cash, it's just computers do the stuff with cards so we don't notice, it's not fundamentally less complex). In any case that's been the case for years, contactless hasn't changed anything there.

I generally take the view that once something has reached a level of practicality that I'm satisfied with (and cash has worked perfectly well for centuries) "improvements" in it just take on the air of the absurd.

Edited by Riedquat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The payment system will be dead if the whole system goes down.....there will never be a bank run if no bank to run to, no cash to collect.......careful what you wish for......huge vested interests in removing cash.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels completely weird going into pub, go up to bar and order a pint, then pay by card. Suits both me and the pub though so off we go.

Although yes I do understand that there are privacy concerns and I agree you might not want your drinking history to be squirrelled away on someone's database.

Ultimately though when forced to use cash it can get very annoying. Our canteen at work only accepts cash and everything is a funny price like 67p where you end up with a lot of copper. Also they only accept British currency which means practically every day some poor sod who came for a meeting (we are a multinational) is left standing at the till unable to pay for his lunch as he only has Euros or cards. Last month it was even worse as many of them thought they came prepared but in fact had brought expired ten-pound notes.

Waving a card across a PINpad is a whole lot easier.

Edited by Funn3r
just felt like adding a bit more rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CentrinoDuo said:

I would not buy anything with cash these days. Happy to pay cash if they have a limit say £5 on the card, but if they don't have a card machine or if the card machine "broke" I would walk out even if I have the cash to pay for it.

I put £0.22 banana on my card @ Tesco. 

Not that I need the credit, I pay everything every month and never get charged any interest, but I just hate carrying cash around. What are you going to do with all those spare change coins? Take them to the local Metro Bank? What a hassle.

 

I am now more or less cashless, contactless was the tipping point and now I only visit the cashpoint for £20 every couple of months.

in fact having someone in front if me start rummaging around for cash and faffing about with change is now becoming the sort of pain in the ass that used to be caused by someone pulling out a chequebook to pay for £10 of shopping, or even worse a couple of pints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I am now more or less cashless, contactless was the tipping point and now I only visit the cashpoint for £20 every couple of months.

in fact having someone in front if me start rummaging around for cash and faffing about with change is now becoming the sort of pain in the ass that used to be caused by someone pulling out a chequebook to pay for £10 of shopping, or even worse a couple of pints.

There is a place for both, cards, cheques and cash......do not dis cash, turn your back on cash, you may well regret it.....choices, the more choices the better, a place to use card, a place to use cash.....nobody uses a cheque book to shop......cheques are very useful when sending money, in the business world and an excellent way of paying people.....they can still be stopped, and should be retained.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, winkie said:

There is a place for both, cards, cheques and cash......do not dis cash, turn your back on cash, you may well regret it.....choices, the more choices the better, a place to use card, a place to use cash.....nobody uses a cheque book to shop......cheques are very useful when sending money, in the business world and an excellent way of paying people.....they can still be stopped, and should be retained.;)

Cheques are near to useless in the modern banking environment.

They cost businesses to write. They cost money to stop (why would you want to stop one?).

They cost time and effort to cash.

BACs is far superior, which is why most businesses have moved over to using it. I haven't written a cheque for about 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Cheques are near to useless in the modern banking environment.

They cost businesses to write. They cost money to stop (why would you want to stop one?).

They cost time and effort to cash.

BACs is far superior, which is why most businesses have moved over to using it. I haven't written a cheque for about 4 years.

A bank would say that.....people do not cash cheques they pay them into their accounts like cash....they may stop a lost cheque or find the goods did not arrive.....wrote a cheque yesterday, didn't have cash on me at the time and cards not accepted.:) Cheques can be sent in the post to people who you don't know their bank details, to people who do not want to give out their bank details....great for gifts....cheques are A1....cash A2 and cards have their place and are quite convenient sometimes.;)

Edited by winkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was never a fan of paying by card or contactless but recently I opened a Monzo account as I like the idea of the app to see where and what I'm spending on automatically sorted into categories rather than tracking it manually, but I will always keep money outside of the bank in cash and have some cash on me for those times which the card starts playing up just like Natwest seem to have a regular issue with

Edited by DoINeedOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, winkie said:

A bank would say that.....people do not cash cheques they pay them into their accounts like cash....they may stop a lost cheque or find the goods did not arrive.....wrote a cheque yesterday, didn't have cash on me at the time and cards not accepted.:) Cheques can be sent in the post to people who you don't know their bank details, to people who do not want to give out their bank details....great for gifts....cheques are A1....cash A2 and cards have their place and are quite convenient sometimes.;)

Why would someone accept a cheque if you had no cards or cash on you ? It's not backed by anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Why would someone accept a cheque if you had no cards or cash on you ? It's not backed by anything.

Trust.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, winkie said:

Trust.;)

Might work for an individual but back when it wasn't that uncommon to use cheques in a shop they wanted them backed up with a card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Might work for an individual but back when it wasn't that uncommon to use cheques in a shop they wanted them backed up with a card.

They did away with chq guarantee cards yonks ago......like I said nobody uses chqs for shopping, they use them for gifts and business.....cheques are very useful in many different ways.....choices.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, winkie said:

Trust.;)

That's just nonsense, pretty much like the rest of your reasons.

The only reason for keeping cheques going is that old people don't like using other methods of payment. Which is I guess if you don't want to upset OAPs too much is a valid reason for not phasing them out, otherwise they would be gone already.

Cheque use is declining at a rate of about 10% per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

That's just nonsense, pretty much like the rest of your reasons.

The only reason for keeping cheques going is that old people don't like using other methods of payment. Which is I guess if you don't want to upset OAPs too much is a valid reason for not phasing them out, otherwise they would be gone already.

Cheque use is declining at a rate of about 10% per year.

Excuse me I am not old and I use cheques fairly regularly.....I use cash and I use both debit and credit cards.....also oyster.

Why you pushing the decline of cheques, do you have a vested interest in doing away with both  cheques and cash?????.......lots of people use a various number of ways to pay people, more the better.....would trust cash and a cheque (valid for six months) from a trusted person far better than technology that could crash at any time......;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, winkie said:

Excuse me I am not old and I use cheques fairly regularly.....I use cash and I use both debit and credit cards.....also oyster.

Why you pushing the decline of cheques, do you have a vested interest in doing away with both  cheques and cash?????.......lots of people use a various number of ways to pay people, more the better.....would trust cash and a cheque (valid for six months) from a trusted person far better than technology that could crash at any time......;)

I never said you were old. I said you talk nonsense.

I never said I wanted to do away with cash.

My primary (personal) motivation for getting rid of cheques would be the inconvenience of having to cash them in the (very) rare event someone sends one to me. They normally end up hanging around for ages because it's inconvenient to go to the bank just to deposit a tiny sum.

I'm not sure that a cheque being valid for 6 months has any relevance. Would it be a good idea to accept payment on trust and then hold a cheque in my back pocket for 6 months ? Not to me it wouldn't.

My only motivation for allowing them to continue would be for people who find it difficult to move over to modern technology that has now superceded them, and can't get alternatives like walking to the post office and getting a postal order. These people are rapidly dying out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

during the hurricanes last year in us and hawaii - cash was king, people were exchanging gold for a song so they could use cash to buy horders food/water/petrol/generators.

I doubt he would have taken a contactless card. Extreme circumstances i know, but the default was to go to fiat or barter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, leonardratso said:

during the hurricanes last year in us and hawaii - cash was king, people were exchanging gold for a song so they could use cash to buy horders food/water/petrol/generators.

I doubt he would have taken a contactless card. Extreme circumstances i know, but the default was to go to fiat or barter.

Would they have taken a cheque though ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I never said you were old. I said you talk nonsense.

I never said I wanted to do away with cash.

My primary (personal) motivation for getting rid of cheques would be the inconvenience of having to cash them in the (very) rare event someone sends one to me. They normally end up hanging around for ages because it's inconvenient to go to the bank just to deposit a tiny sum.

I'm not sure that a cheque being valid for 6 months has any relevance. Would it be a good idea to accept payment on trust and then hold a cheque in my back pocket for 6 months ? Not to me it wouldn't.

My only motivation for allowing them to continue would be for people who find it difficult to move over to modern technology that has now superceded them, and can't get alternatives like walking to the post office and getting a postal order. These people are rapidly dying out.

So neither of us are old or talk nonsense.....you do not have to accept cheques, I happen to do so......many others also do so......you wanting to take that away from those who do just because you don't......get real......modern technology is not sacrosanct.......there are alternatives that work.....choices.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, winkie said:

So neither of us are old or talk nonsense.....you do not have to accept cheques, I happen to do so......many others also do so......you wanting to take that away from those who do just because you don't......get real......modern technology is not sacrosanct.......there are alternatives that work.....choices.;)

I never said that I wasn't old either.

In fact sometimes when I look at the world I feel pretty god damned old -too old to be wasting my life going to the bank and cashing cheques.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am quite old fashioned and refuse to use contactless. I drill 2mm holes in my contactless cards to disable the countactless but leave the magnetic strip/chip and pin intact and I always pay in cash if possible. Anyway I went to this swanky wine bar a few weeks ago and had a glass of wine with the other half. When I came to pay I went to get cash from my wallet and the woman behind the counter informed me that they didn’t take cash (something that wasn’t pointed out earlier). Well, I was about it go into full blown awkward git mode when my other half saw what was coming and paid on her phone.

 

I am not 100% sure on this but my understanding is that they MUST accept cash to settle a debt? This would include restaurants as you cannot return eaten food/drink? Maybe one of you knows better, would my awkward hit mode have been backed up by law? I hope it would as the place was a bit hipsterish and nothing would have given me more pleasure than to ruin their contactless world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 349 The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.