House Price Crash Forum

If you had the capital and the motivation what business would you like to start?

HOLA441
3 hours ago, doomed said:

If you employ just one person you must now enroll them in a pension, it’s the law according to the radio today. What’s the point? If I was 20, based in London, and wanted to stay there I would get pregnant and go on benefits.

and is exactly what has killed the working economy of Italy (IMPS state pension) for decades now....its all zero hours black payments or government sanctioned work vouchers.....businesses average only 4 employees each for that exact reason. Since changed after 2008. If I had the cash I'd be long gone....online service, minimal overheads, remote working in a sunny warm place, friendly natives, some English speaking expats, cheap as chips cost of living...Panama, Cape town etc

Edited by Maximus Skepticus

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
8 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

Electric gate installation and maintenance company in the South East.

Ask five to quote and one might bother. And it will be thousands, no matter how minor the job.

any trade or service servicing the new Build to Rent initiatives coming on tap - being a diversified risk since, if Labour win the next GE, you'd be able to service their council house building efforts instead

HOLA446
HOLA447
17 hours ago, Maximus Skepticus said:

Soup kitchen....NFP.....it's gonna be big business soon/now... Government will give you massive subsidies which you can embezzle with impunity.....just as long as you get the vagrants off their official numbers...doesnt matter if a few go missing either, so you can double up with the first idea :ph34r:

Soylent green...

HOLA448
HOLA449

another thought which could be a growth sector in the UK.

Neighbourhood security company.

funded by local residents and businesses. 

Run A series of cameras and sensors and heavies on scooters and segways. 

have traps for humans and vehicles setup around the neighbourhood which can be remotely triggered to stop criminals escaping. 

setup an app for residents who can send an SOS with a single button, that sends their location info and personal details to the heavies.

In an area with 30 shops and 500 houses... You could collect about £10 a week from the houses and £50 a week from the shops.

£5500 a week income. 

employing 2 shifts of 4 local staff and 1 remote staff in Eastern Europe for cameras / sensors / helpline. 

8x Local employees  at £400 a week = £3200

2x Eastern Europeans remotely at £200 a week = £400

Weekly expenses about £300

total  = £5500 - £3900 = £1600 quid a week.  not a bad job and "doin sumfin for the local commyuni'ee"

you sell it to the locals as follows: 

1- helps reduce their insurance premiums

2- safer for them to let their kids out including at night

3- increase the price of their houses! 

4- most of the money they pay goes to employ locals who then have decent jobs and spend in the local economy.

£10 a week is a small price to pay for that. 

Edited by hayder

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
2 hours ago, guest_northshore said:

Think you'd want to be earning a lot more than £1600 pw for the risk/return of maintaining and defending a protection racket.

that's just "one" neighbourhood. if it works you expand. ;)

Have to keep price low initially to make it an easy sell. 

within a few years you'll be indispensable, and can slowly put prices up.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Nutrition / Natural medicine is a growing industry. Real Nutrition and Natural medicine, not the pharmaceutical tentacle covered NHS lip service one like where they test Pomi-T then brush it under the carpet.

Autopsies found 97% of men who died of old age had prostate cancer. They died of old age not prostate cancer. Gc-Maf etc. Interesting stuff.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Some people start businesses in their 50s https://www.hiscox.co.uk/business-blog/how-age-can-be-an-asset-for-entrepreneurs-the-rise-of-the-50-startup/

If I had time to start a new business I think some website and app Uber style for car washing services to people’s doors or window cleaning would be worth looking at.  Or dog walking services; connecting people and ideally getting the walkers to wear company t shirt and wear a camera recording their time with dog, that would reassure a lot of owners (you’d have to think of some way to ensure people don’t bypass your website, perhaps by giving less jobs to self employed dog walkers who don’t get repeat business and creating seed of doubt in dog owners’ minds about safety of not dealing via company and having good video systems etc that would be hard for individual dog walkers to recreate.

I also thought weddings would be another good area to get in to, as people seem to go mad with budget, but our local wedding shop just shut down so could be wrong about that.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I would move to one of the parts of Europe, such as the Algarve, that have a lot of wealthy holiday home owners and offer a car management service.

Maybe delivering the car to the airport for their arrival, arranging tax, insurance, servicing, tyres etc. Checking the car each week when the owners aren't around. All the stuff that would be a hassle for the owner.

Maybe even negotiating the purchase for a cut.

HOLA4425
On 11/04/2018 at 12:19 AM, longgone said:

prescription collection service for boomers with a side line of will writing services ?

sometimes you need to make your own luck :ph34r:

20 hours ago, spyguy said:

Crematorium cum power station.

Have you se nthe size of  some of the OAPs these days? Frail bird like old ladies my ar5e.

Both really made me laugh ???