House Price Crash Forum

So ... I'm Selling To Rent

Frizzers

HOLA441

I’d really appreciate any advice the financial brain boxes on this site might be able to give.

My current thoughts are :

20% in a high-interest rate deposit account.

About 25%, maybe more, in gold and silver bullion.

Some I’m going to keep in cash in the bank to pay my rent. 10%

A small fund for speculating on high risk stuff. 10%

The other 35%, I'm not sure.

Overall, I’d like a well-balanced portfolio that’s safe as houses (ha), grows ahead of inflation, ideally by enough to pay my annual rent – about 10%.

I’d like some exposure to: oil, commodities, Canada – as these all look a good bet at the moment - and safer blue chip.

Although I fancy myself as a home trader, I'm really an amateur, so I'm tempted by managed funds, though the charges and changing personnel worry me. It's best I find some long-term investments that I won't be tempted to go in and meddle with.

So I guess the basic question is what would currently be a well balanced way of keeping and protecting your money?

HOLA442

I’d really appreciate any advice the financial brain boxes on this site might be able to give.

Overall, I’d like a well-balanced portfolio that’s safe as houses (ha), grows ahead of inflation, ideally by enough to pay my annual rent – about 10%.

I’d like some exposure to: oil, commodities, Canada – as these all look a good bet at the moment - and safer blue chip.

Although I fancy myself as a home trader, I'm really an amateur, so I'm tempted by managed funds, though the charges and changing personnel worry me. It's best I find some long-term investments that I won't be tempted to go in and meddle with.

So I guess the basic question is what would currently be a well balanced way of keeping and protecting your money?

For oil, gold,silver, canada check out Resource Investments LSE:REI.

Key benefits are:

1. Geographical diversity

2 .Currency diversity i.e fund is invested in many stocks on different exchanges/currencies so hedge on sterling

3. Sector Diversity - gold, silver, base metals, energy etc

4. Company diversity - many companies within the sectors, currencies, countries

5. MASSIVE current discount to NAV.

I am in for lots and topped up again this morning before it ticked up. Also like and am in LSE:CYN for same reasons as above, but not such a great discount to NAV

For oil, gold,silver, canada check out Resource Investments LSE:REI.

Key benefits are:

1. Geographical diversity

2 .Currency diversity i.e fund is invested in many stocks on different exchanges/currencies so hedge on sterling

3. Sector Diversity - gold, silver, base metals, energy etc

4. Company diversity - many companies within the sectors, currencies, countries

5. MASSIVE current discount to NAV.

I am in for lots and topped up again this morning before it ticked up. Also like and am in LSE:CYN for same reasons as above, but not such a great discount to NAV

Oh and I don't consider myself a Financial brainbox. Leave that for others :)

HOLA443

Value funds, cash, coal (natural resources), commodities (especially sugar--the South Americans have developed sugar can as a petrol substitute), Japanese funds.

Gold? Too dangerous--it has a history of violent downturns and is too tied to political whims. Gold is nice to look at but coal burns and you need more of it!

Sugar:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article....74&in_page_id=2

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes, I looked at REI when it wa at 163. Now it's up to the high 170s.

The current NAV of REI though is 215 and will have strong day today. If you like soft commoditties then LSE:CYN which i mentioned above has elements or consider LSE:AEP.

I have held some AEP for over a year. They pay a good dividend, great earnings and good growth and again an elment of sterling hedge.

HOLA446

Yes, I looked at REI when it wa at 163. Now it's up to the high 170s.

Gold, I know it's volatile, but it looks good for a few years. Same for silver.

As for sugar, how do you get exposure to that?

And Japanese funds. Any recommendations?

I am not sure about the funds in the UK. I still have my stuff in the US with Fidelity and they have 2 excellent Japanese funds including Japan Small Company Fund. I am sure Fidelity UK have similar. Sugar? Not sure but there may be some funds out there that specialize.

Japan Small Company results:

1 Year 41.36%

3 Year 40.63

5 Year 17.55

10 Year 10.01

HOLA447

A suggestion for your 35% if you're a high rate tax-payer: Go for 30K in Premium Bonds.

Get a current internet account with Cahoot or similar to pay your rent from - might as well make 4.5% from your rent-float as well!

HOLA448

A suggestion for your 35% if you're a high rate tax-payer: Go for 30K in Premium Bonds.

Get a current internet account with Cahoot or similar to pay your rent from - might as well make 4.5% from your rent-float as well!

Good thinking, Batman.

Premium Bonds. I've had them, but I've never ever won on them. Might be worth bunging some in there.

HOLA449

Good thinking, Batman.

Premium Bonds. I've had them, but I've never ever won on them. Might be worth bunging some in there.

Sorry to be rude but thats does'nt make sense at all. You are accepting a recommendation for something that by the posters own admission has been a waste of time.

You have STRed so are taking a risk on HP and in addition are having to pay the fees to sell and buy. I think you should be looking to protect and aim to grow the real value of your fund.

Whatever you choose I wish you well as you are in effect shorting the housing market.

Cheers

HOLA4410

Sorry to be rude but thats does'nt make sense at all. You are accepting a recommendation for something that by the posters own admission has been a waste of time.

You have STRed so are taking a risk on HP and in addition are having to pay the fees to sell and buy. I think you should be looking to protect and aim to grow the real value of your fund.

Whatever you choose I wish you well as you are in effect shorting the housing market.

Cheers

The 'good thinking Batman' referred to the idea of putting the rent fund in a high rate paying fund such as Cahoot, which is I think a good idea.

As for premium bonds, I have never had any success with them (the poster, red, may or may not have - he proabably has which is why he suggested them). That I have had no success with them doesn't mean they don't work. At least you never lose on them - you'll always get back what you put in. I don't think they're a bad suggestion at all for some of the funds - not as much as 35% perhaps, but some.

You are right, Mr Nice, my precise aim is to protect the real value of my fund and have it grow. And by STR I am in a way shorting the housing market. I never thought of it like that.

Overall precious metals and energy look the place to be though at the moment. I'm just trying to find ways of exposing my fund to them without too much risk.

Cheers.

HOLA4411

Cheers

Depends how many premium bonds you have. If you have 1-200 pounds you aint likely to win, if you are maxed out then you are likely to win on average every month,

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest muttley

If you do find a risk free investment that grows at 10% per annum,might I suggest that you apply for a job in the City as a fund manager.

HOLA4416

Is there a maximum? What is it, do you know?

Cheers

Yes, it's 30K and I have that amount for myself and the missus. Winner every month, tax free, better return than my hig-rate interest accounts after tax. It's been a no-brainer for me with the outside chance that I might hit a big prize someday! ;)

HOLA4417

Yes, it's 30K and I have that amount for myself and the missus. Winner every month, tax free, better return than my hig-rate interest accounts after tax. It's been a no-brainer for me with the outside chance that I might hit a big prize someday! ;)

That interesting. Would you mind saying how much you have won over say a year.

Thanks