• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

image.thumb.png.2fd4b854435e1fd59cb6a78bcbbf6e81.png

How much is spent on nurses? How much more is going to be spent on nurses?

How much is spent on housing benefit, "help" etc.? Many cut spending on these areas, speed up the end of tax relief on BTLs. Impose other taxes on property (LVT, windfall taxes on landlords, builders, banks).

Maybe give nurses a pay rise, but give them DC pensions like the rest of us. Same for other public sector workers.

19 minutes ago, jimmy2x3 said:

thank god. this will now stop that nurse that was on question time having to go to a foodbank to survive a week after her nice trip to new york drinking proseco.  we can all sleep better at night knowing she will not have to queue down the food bank. 

:D

5 hours ago, spyguy said:

Hello Jeremy.....

After 10 years of being a Nurse my friend pulls in 38k + a very good pension.

She does 3 12h shifts + one 8h shift  a week. Plus 2 nights a month.

80% of the time its pretty quiet. Theer is a reason why Nurses tend to being fat.

Her alternative is working 60h in a shop for about 14k. No pension.

17 minutes ago, jimmy2x3 said:

thank god. this will now stop that nurse that was on question time having to go to a foodbank to survive a week after her nice trip to new york drinking proseco.  we can all sleep better at night knowing she will not have to queue down the food bank. 

All we need now is Greg Bowman to remind us that all accountants are morons because he once heard a CEO telling off a finance director.

2 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

£20.60 today for my dentist, who is dropping to a 3 day week. No wonder with how their charges have gone up.

Was at my dentist last month and had a look on their wee info sheet. All of them worked a max of 4 days. Most were 2-3 days.

This was an NHS dentist - although they probably do private stuff on site as well. They certainly advertise all the whitening type stuff and all.

I wonder if this is all the hours they do - or are they off doing private stuff elsewhere on their 'days off' ?

Would be interested if anyone knows. I was going to ask him but with someone who is digging around your gums with a sharp implement - I didn't want to risk pissing him off. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

Was at my dentist last month and had a look on their wee info sheet. All of them worked a max of 4 days. Most were 2-3 days.

This was an NHS dentist - although they probably do private stuff on site as well. They certainly advertise all the whitening type stuff and all.

I wonder if this is all the hours they do - or are they off doing private stuff elsewhere on their 'days off' ?

Would be interested if anyone knows. I was going to ask him but with someone who is digging around your gums with a sharp implement - I didn't want to risk pissing him off. :ph34r:

Yep.

Other 2 days were spent queuing at the food bank.

******* Tories.

5 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

£20.60 today for my dentist, who is dropping to a 3 day week. No wonder with how their charges have gone up.

Wife got a bill of £90 today for a check up, the dentist insisted she then saw the hygienist who cleaned her teeth and polished them in what she called a double session. It seems common practice now that this happens, where before the dentist did the check up and clean the hygienist charge is not on the NHS so everyone now pays even our friends from abroad . 

44 minutes ago, jimmy2x3 said:

Something of a straw man, no?

I don't really know what the score is with this bird, but my guess is the combination of living a lifestyle she can't really afford and low pay means that she might have to use food banks but blames it all on point 2 and overlooks point 2 (like many people who are terrible with money). 

Trying to live as a single person in Edinburgh on £22k (which is what she reportedly earns) would be hard enough on its own; Chuck in trips to new York and fancy restaurants (doubtlessly paid for on credit) and you're in full on food bank debt crisis territory. 

We shouldn't really take a profligate spender (who was possibly put up to challenging Sturgeon to clear some debts - who knows?) to be representative of the wider nursing community though. Similarly, we should be setting the bar a bit higher than "doesn't have to use a food bank" for remunerating people who do useful jobs for us. 

Holy ****** no wonder every dentist I go past has a shiny Range Rover sitting out front.

Times will differ - but the average check up must be something like 10 minutes max.

That's a hell of a lot of money for a day shift. No wonder they choose to work 3 days a week. Fair enough if its there for them.

1 minute ago, Hullabaloo82 said:

Something of a straw man, no?

I don't really know what the score is with this bird, but my guess is the combination of living a lifestyle she can't really afford and low pay means that she might have to use food banks but blames it all on point 2 and overlooks point 2 (like many people who are terrible with money). 

Trying to live as a single person in Edinburgh on £22k (which is what she reportedly earns) would be hard enough on its own; Chuck in trips to new York and fancy restaurants (doubtlessly paid for on credit) and you're in full on food bank debt crisis territory. 

We shouldn't really take a profligate spender (who was possibly put up to challenging Sturgeon to clear some debts - who knows?) to be representative of the wider nursing community though. Similarly, we should be setting the bar a bit higher than "doesn't have to use a food bank" for remunerating people who do useful jobs for us. 

I think its reasonable to take her as representative of a chunk of the nursing community - but clearly not all.

I would say her whining about it as being less representative of most nurses.

I think most nurses realise they have a pretty decent set up.

I'd argue that debating whether nurses get paid enough or not is a bit of a red herring.  I wouldn't be a nurse on twice what they get paid - it's a very hard job.

But this pay deal is a massive signal that the government has decided to go for as much inflation as they can get away with.  There have been other indications of this recently.  That's one way to deal with the unsustainable debts.

But it's the final kick in the teeth for anyone who has diligently spent the decade since the crisis actually working, living within their means, and saving towards a deposit.  We can look forward to having our work finally made utterly worthless if wage inflation kicks off.

The scum in charge hate the idea that anyone could actually benefit from their own work.  They won't rest until everyone but their mates is a brainwashed indentured servant sitting in their mortgaged prison cell feeling smug about the 'wealth' that has trapped them.

I guess I should have bought gold.  Or a house.  Or jetted off to New York to party twice a year.

I was naive to think they'd allow any other outcome.

It's very rewarding serving the public.

I swear by Apollo the Healer, by Asclepius, by Hygieia, by Panacea, and by all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture.

I will use treatment to help the sick according to my ability and judgment, but never with a view to injury and wrong-doing.

Now if I carry out this oath, and break it not, may I gain for ever reputation among all men for my life and for my art; but if I break it and forswear myself, may the opposite befall me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath

9 minutes ago, irrationalactor said:

But it's the final kick in the teeth for anyone who has diligently spent the decade since the crisis actually working, living within their means, and saving towards a deposit.  We can look forward to having our work finally made utterly worthless if wage inflation kicks off.

If people have been paying attention they should have been slowly adding to gold positions during the last 10+ years. This is the whole point of a hedge. It means if/when the Government decide to completely trash the currency you have something they can't debase.

1 hour ago, jimmy2x3 said:

she had to drink proseco instead of champagne give the girl a break, probably had to slum it in economy class. 

33 minutes ago, Errol said:

If people have been paying attention they should have been slowly adding to gold positions during the last 10+ years. This is the whole point of a hedge. It means if/when the Government decide to completely trash the currency you have something they can't debase.

should of just bought a house enough of this garbage. they could crash gold and silver anytime they like. EVERYTHING is fixed. 

create enough confusion and a system looks plausible. 

1 hour ago, papag said:

Wife got a bill of £90 today for a check up, the dentist insisted she then saw the hygienist who cleaned her teeth and polished them in what she called a double session. It seems common practice now that this happens, where before the dentist did the check up and clean the hygienist charge is not on the NHS so everyone now pays even our friends from abroad . 

Yep,this must be new.Last time i was there dentist did check up and a quick clean and the usual talk on gum disease,£20.This time she did the check,said there are a few 4s etc and as i was waiting for her to clean them she said il put you down for a booking with the hygienist,no clean in and out in 10 minutes.On the way out paid the £20 and noticed it would be another £32 when i saw the hygienist.I decided not to bother,and i also decided not to cancel the appointment so they could swing on their chair for an hour.

Edited by durhamborn