House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FrozenOut

Flame The Bbc

Re: You "Property tips" for 2006

Once again the BBC ask the opinion of one of the biggest vested interest's in property - An estate agent.

Your biased reporting is very sickening, this is NOT what I have to pay my licence fee for every year!!! Reports that do not allow BOTH sides of the argument to be heard are irresponsible.

I quote:-

"Clearly, this depends on where you are and the type of property you are making an offer on, but confidence is growing overall and this, coupled with a shortage of stock, means that you could lose out on your dream home if you offer well below asking price."

So a shortage of property then? Maybe I could be under serious competition for anyone of the SIX HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THREE THOUSAND properties on rightmove alone?

Sort it out, your organisation isn't much more then a government mouth piece, spinning everything to your own ends.

Regards

FrozenOut

bad journalism if you ask me,

That sums it up very well. But good journalism takes time and time costs money and the BBC isn't exactly known for being a great payer. One of the lowest in the business actually for lowly writers without big names from what I can make out. And the standard of journalism is unlikely to improve unless they start paying their writers more and giving them time to research balanced articles. Sad really...

Edited by Mags

So a shortage of property then? Maybe I could be under serious competition for anyone of the SIX HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THREE THOUSAND properties on rightmove alone?

Do you realise that this is almost exactly the same number of jobs that Labour have created in government since they came to power? Perhaps they have now realised that these where phoney jobs that the nation cannot afford.

"Clearly, this depends on where you are and the type of property you are making an offer on, but confidence is growing overall and this, coupled with a shortage of stock, means that you could lose out on your dream home if you offer well below asking price."

Shortage of proerty?

Do you see masses of people sleeping rough in the streets?

Take the spin as you will.......

;)

My Step-dad was telling me today, that there was some Professor on one of the BBC Radio Channels stating that house prices are going to rocket in the next 50 years in UK, Canada etc as global warming drives people from warmer countries to the cooler UK.

For F*** Sake!!!!

Is there no end to the bloody stupidity in this c*ntry!!

I'm sick to death of the Beeb PR machine too. If I want to pay to read ads I'd buy a copy of Vogue.

Who wants to stop paying their licence fee?

Just needs a few people to go to jail who fancy free board and lodgings for a few months.

Think of that in the media.

Mr Crashed's solictor said in a statement: 'My client believes the BBC is the mouthpiece of big business crony capitalism. He only uses a junkshop 14" TV to watch the Simpsons on Channel4 and thought-provoking DVDs. My client says the sickening hyping of property prices on the beeb has doubtless duped thousands of young people into taking on brutal debt while encouraging an orgy of speculative greed, which has forced a generation to live in dank rented slums. Thank you.'

Then later, 'Free the HPC One' on a few banners. Lovely. Job done.

Trust is the foundation of the BBC: we are independent, impartial and honest

Audiences are at the heart of everything we do

We take pride in delivering quality and value for money

Creativity is the lifeblood of our organisation

We respect each other and celebrate our diversity so that everyone can give their best

We are one BBC: great things happen when we work together

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/purpose/

:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

That sums it up very well. But good journalism takes time and time costs money and the BBC isn't exactly known for being a great payer. One of the lowest in the business actually for lowly writers without big names from what I can make out. And the standard of journalism is unlikely to improve unless they start paying their writers more and giving them time to research balanced articles. Sad really...

Hows that? The spend 2.2Billion pounds a year (at least 10 Mil of that on house price speculation programmes). You would expect they could pay their Journos a living wage.

Guest Bart of Darkness
My Step-dad was telling me today, that there was some Professor on one of the BBC Radio Channels stating that house prices are going to rocket in the next 50 years in UK, Canada etc as global warming drives people from warmer countries to the cooler UK.

In such a scenario I predict the prices of homes on the UK coastlines will NOT be going up.

Glug glug! ;)

Guest Guy_Montag

I like the Beeb, I think they are pretty balanced when it come to news reporting. There are, of course, faults, but in general we have one of the highest quality programming outputs in the world. Just go & watch US tv (remember we only get the top shows over here, for every simpsons, there are dozens of crappy shows that never make it here), or if you're a real masochist, I can recommend Panamanian (3 channels of bullfighting, 1 of soap operas & fortunatly CNN).

Having said that, I never watch the 6 or 9 o'clock news, I stick with Today, Five Live & PM.

When it comes to interviewing people, it is very hard to find experts on subjects who do not have vested interests, though interviewing estate agents about house prices isn't likely to get you an entirely honest responsem, who would you recommend talking to that 1) knows the market, 2) is accessable, 3) has little or no vested interest?

We need someone to complain to about this, but who???

As well as the complains section there's BBC NewsWaltch, I've said it before and I'll say it again if you don't like something on the BBC complain, the more people that complain the harder it is to ignore what is being said.

If it's a TV programme try ofcom http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/

I like the Beeb, I think they are pretty balanced when it come to news reporting. There are, of course, faults, but in general we have one of the highest quality programming outputs in the world. Just go & watch US tv (remember we only get the top shows over here, for every simpsons, there are dozens of crappy shows that never make it here), or if you're a real masochist, I can recommend Panamanian (3 channels of bullfighting, 1 of soap operas & fortunatly CNN).

Having said that, I never watch the 6 or 9 o'clock news, I stick with Today, Five Live & PM.

When it comes to interviewing people, it is very hard to find experts on subjects who do not have vested interests, though interviewing estate agents about house prices isn't likely to get you an entirely honest responsem, who would you recommend talking to that 1) knows the market, 2) is accessable, 3) has little or no vested interest?

When I lived in Australia and only saw the BBC from the same perspective that you see US television, I would have agreed 100%. Wasn't so sure after 6 months of BBC in its domestic environment.

The fact is the editorial basis for determining programming IS biased, if only towards commercial goals of ratings. It doesn't make them VIs unto themselves, just followers and sheep. When I was younger we had a distinction between 'Trendies' and 'Trendsetters'. The BBC unfortuantely fall under the first category in their domestic delivery and rely on their reputation overseas to protect the drivel they deliver at home. They follow the crowd and output more "house investment obsession" shows than anyone else (well on sheer numbers they are leading the way!). However, ratings are not in the BBC mandate.

The BBC should be the shock troop that leads without fear of keeping up with the Jones. I am 100% in support of their principles. Jeremy Paxman wouldn't survive for more than 2 months under the soft focus lens of commercial televion and we need some hard bastards - now more than ever. But their overall programming strategy is patently a very poor cousins to their principles.

I miss Rough Science! thats the sort of programming I want to see. Innovation, wit and spirit and creative leads that encourage genuine knowledge. Not 'how to take advantage of the property boom' for the thousandth time.

As well as the complains section there's BBC NewsWaltch, I've said it before and I'll say it again if you don't like something on the BBC complain, the more people that complain the harder it is to ignore what is being said.

Mustrum ta for that.

For anyone interested:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/codes/bcode/undue/

As someone whose worked in the belly of the meeja beast (newspaper on the commercial side) I can tell you that ranting to the BBC will get you nowhere.

You need to play the game. If you can genuinely highlight worrying trends in the housing market (in words that most people can grasp) then talk to a VI organisation from the other side of the fence - housing associations, homeless charities, debt counselling charities and so on. These guys have the organisational gravitas to be taken seriously plus they rarely have the resources to look at this kind of thing.

Getting mad at the BBC and sending them cross letters and e-mails will just get you into their "lunatics" file.

Guest Guy_Montag

When I lived in Australia and only saw the BBC from the same perspective that you see US television, I would have agreed 100%. Wasn't so sure after 6 months of BBC in its domestic environment.

The fact is the editorial basis for determining programming IS biased, if only towards commercial goals of ratings. It doesn't make them VIs unto themselves, just followers and sheep. When I was younger we had a distinction between 'Trendies' and 'Trendsetters'. The BBC unfortuantely fall under the first category in their domestic delivery and rely on their reputation overseas to protect the drivel they deliver at home. They follow the crowd and output more "house investment obsession" shows than anyone else (well on sheer numbers they are leading the way!). However, ratings are not in the BBC mandate.

The BBC should be the shock troop that leads without fear of keeping up with the Jones. I am 100% in support of their principles. Jeremy Paxman wouldn't survive for more than 2 months under the soft focus lens of commercial televion and we need some hard bastards - now more than ever. But their overall programming strategy is patently a very poor cousins to their principles.

I miss Rough Science! thats the sort of programming I want to see. Innovation, wit and spirit and creative leads that encourage genuine knowledge. Not 'how to take advantage of the property boom' for the thousandth time.

I must agree with you, there is a lot of low budget, well not that low budget probably, but daytime tv programmes on in the evening. & too much of their programming is derivative, ratings-chasing rubbish. I suppose so the producer can make a big name for himself/herself & go & earn the big bucks elsewhere in the world. Then again it happens elsewhere, ITV started Strictly Come Dancing on Ice after the success of the truely novel (though not my cup of tea) Strictly Come Dancing.

You are right, what the Beeb does best is it's factual, entertaining, yet educational prorammes, like Life in the Undergrowth, Bill Oddie's various progs & that sort of thing. Their radio output is excellent, where else in the world can you find anything like Radio 4? Their webpages are good too.

I must agree with you, there is a lot of low budget, well not that low budget probably, but daytime tv programmes on in the evening. & too much of their programming is derivative, ratings-chasing rubbish. I suppose so the producer can make a big name for himself/herself & go & earn the big bucks elsewhere in the world. Then again it happens elsewhere, ITV started Strictly Come Dancing on Ice after the success of the truely novel (though not my cup of tea) Strictly Come Dancing.

You are right, what the Beeb does best is it's factual, entertaining, yet educational prorammes, like Life in the Undergrowth, Bill Oddie's various progs & that sort of thing. Their radio output is excellent, where else in the world can you find anything like Radio 4? Their webpages are good too.

Thanks GM. The difference as far as I am concerned is that I don't pay for ITV, so I really don't give a toss how commercial crap derivative they are. On the other hand, I pay for BBC. I have a stake. But as someone said, if you complain they will just put you in the 'nutter' files. Big institutions never take complaints from individuals seriously. They just have procedures to deal with them politely. So that being the case, all I can do is vent my spleen as far and wide as possible, and maybe if they ever start to feel threatened by the lack of support they will all of a sudden care (like politicians really).

Its blurry now but I think I was directed to this site by the BBC. I never watch BBC1 so most likely it was Radio 2 (probably that nob Steve Wright) when someone from this very website was interviewed.

My Complaint:

To the BBC

My complaint that I am currently making is the constant bias toward house price growth and the apparent positive effects it has upon our country. Your reports seem to come more and more from the vested interests in the market i.e. interviews with estate agents and market reports from Halifax. Anyway to the point. How is it that your constant reporting and "brainwashing as such is informing the public (lest you forget that they pay your wages) that the higher the HPI the better. How can it be good for the economy when a shoddy ex-council house costs up to £200'000?! How can it be good for the economy when the people who take your ill advise about jumping onto the property ladder before its too late are paying most of there income toward the mortgage, giving them less to contribute to "real" means such as innovation. How can it be good that most hardworking couples are putting off having families because of the exuberant prices in today’s market? Leaving the future generation to the feckless and the unemployed. I certainly do not pay my license fee to be told that me being priced out of a studio flat is a good thing. If you would like to obtain a balanced view of the market then I know a fantastic website:

www.housepricecrash.co.uk.

Regards.

My Complaint:

To the BBC

My complaint that I am currently making is the constant bias toward house price growth and the apparent positive effects it has upon our country. Your reports seem to come more and more from the vested interests in the market i.e. interviews with estate agents and market reports from Halifax. Anyway to the point. How is it that your constant reporting and "brainwashing as such is informing the public (lest you forget that they pay your wages) that the higher the HPI the better. How can it be good for the economy when a shoddy ex-council house costs up to £200'000?! How can it be good for the economy when the people who take your ill advise about jumping onto the property ladder before its too late are paying most of there income toward the mortgage, giving them less to contribute to "real" means such as innovation. How can it be good that most hardworking couples are putting off having families because of the exuberant prices in today’s market? Leaving the future generation to the feckless and the unemployed. I certainly do not pay my license fee to be told that me being priced out of a studio flat is a good thing. If you would like to obtain a balanced view of the market then I know a fantastic website:

www.housepricecrash.co.uk.

Regards.

And what kind of response from the BBC are you expecting from a juvenile rant like that ?

The BBC use bank and professional bodies' housing indices for their figures, real estate transactions and prices etc. What would you expect them to use instead - anecdotal drive by counting of for sale boards and chatter off here ?

And what kind of response from the BBC are you expecting from a juvenile rant like that ?

The BBC use bank and professional bodies' housing indices for their figures, real estate transactions and prices etc. What would you expect them to use instead - anecdotal drive by counting of for sale boards and chatter off here ?

Certainly not juvenile. Just Annoyed and desperate. And why the insult?

Guest Bart of Darkness

Apollo pseudobear #1: I think the BBC is rubbish.

Apollo pseudobear #2: I thinkj you're wrong and an idiot.

Apollo pseudobear #1: I have the right to my opinions. And don't be so insulting.

Anyone who recognises a certain (ex)members posting style (and strange habit of allowing his multiple personalities to "argue" with themselves) should be able to work out what I'm on about here.

Cue puzzled protestations of innocence. :)

I find it difficult to get hot under the collar about the Beeb, their 'standard of programming' and reporting have long been a joke, to me they appear no different to The Sun or News of the World, I don't think much of them nor do I take them seriously, if anything the gutter press are more honest in what they do.

Of course we're forced to pay for them, but once we go fully digital other people will question this before we do. The biggest fear of the Beeb isn't necessarily about losing funding, they fear losing influence and not being relevant, that's why they've launched so many different channels and networks, their audience share and 'reach' has declined regardless of these efforts.

I fear many on here are guilty of taking them seriously, it's akin to being outraged about the objectivity of Pravda back in the good old days.