House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DavidGold

Campaigning

I used to have a T-Shirt with 2 vultures on it: "Patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something". I don't advocate killing anything but patience is not my forte and I am angry. I believe the crash has more-or-less started - the momentum has completely gone and many places are showing stagnation or price falls. However, if Nationwide's real house prices graph on the HPC homepage is anything like a reliable guide to the future, it could be another 5 years before real house prices reach their trough. Five years is a long wait if you're renting somewhere cheap (i.e. not very nice). On the other hand, it gives more time to save, meaning a smaller mortgage in the future...

I have emailed the webmaster about campaigning and he thought it would be a lot of effort for not a lot of result. Which may well be true. But that doesn't stop people campaigning for other causes. My dad bought his house in 1968-9. Despite the fact I am older now than he was then, I am in a better paid job, and my partner earns too, we STILL could not afford the house he bought then, even though it is nothing remarkable. One person used to be able to afford a home... Now two people struggle... And the Government's response - 'shared equity' - let them buy half a house! F*CK OFF!

Now is as good a time as any to introduce my draft 'manifesto' for comment:

1) Prevent the ludicrous rises. There are various options: a] House prices to be incorporated into the CPI measure instead of the existing rents based formula. b] Mortgage lending to be restricted. (It is notable the freer the mortgage market is, the more volatile house prices have become.) c] Houses sold for a fixed price rather than by commission. I am not going to pretend these choices are perfect; however, we do not need a perfect answer, only a better one.

2) Punative council tax on second and subsequent homes to prevent the wealthy pricing locals out of their communities and the 1 million empty homes staying unused - a national scandal given the so-called 'shortage' of homes. To have the effect intended it will have to be punative.

3) Landlords to be limited in the number of properties they can own. When a landlord can own 700 properties in one town of 30,000, many properties are removed from the market for long periods, penalising the independent home-owning aspirations of the many in favour of the greed of the few.

4) Stamp duty threshold to be raised to the level of the average house price, and raised annually in line with house price inflation.

5) "Affordable homes" to be decent. e.g. Omitting parking now when houses have a life-span measured in hundreds of years and the cars of the future will not run on fossil fuels is extremely short-sighted. Second-class homes will be difficult to sell and harder still to resell, helping no-one.

I think the Vincent Cable / Liberal Democrat idea posted on another forum I cannot seem to locate now has some merit. Let's face it, they could do with some good news ... And a new leader will want to come up with distinctive campaign themes fairly quickly. Another option is a Labour rebel, akin to Tony Benn, but I think a party will have more staying power. The sooner we get the issue in the media, the sooner other potential FTB will wake up to the situation and delay purchase.

But if we can't do better than 150 signatures in a petition then we are truly stuffed... Was it junk? Some of these forums have several thousand viewings!

I used to have a T-Shirt with 2 vultures on it: "Patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something". I don't advocate killing anything but patience is not my forte and I am angry. I believe the crash has more-or-less started - the momentum has completely gone and many places are showing stagnation or price falls. However, if Nationwide's real house prices graph on the HPC homepage is anything like a reliable guide to the future, it could be another 5 years before real house prices reach their trough. Five years is a long wait if you're renting somewhere cheap (i.e. not very nice). On the other hand, it gives more time to save, meaning a smaller mortgage in the future...

I have emailed the webmaster about campaigning and he thought it would be a lot of effort for not a lot of result. Which may well be true. But that doesn't stop people campaigning for other causes. My dad bought his house in 1968-9. Despite the fact I am older now than he was then, I am in a better paid job, and my partner earns too, we STILL could not afford the house he bought then, even though it is nothing remarkable. One person used to be able to afford a home... Now two people struggle... And the Government's response - 'shared equity' - let them buy half a house! F*CK OFF!

Now is as good a time as any to introduce my draft 'manifesto' for comment:

1) Prevent the ludicrous rises. There are various options: a] House prices to be incorporated into the CPI measure instead of the existing rents based formula. b] Mortgage lending to be restricted. (It is notable the freer the mortgage market is, the more volatile house prices have become.) c] Houses sold for a fixed price rather than by commission. I am not going to pretend these choices are perfect; however, we do not need a perfect answer, only a better one.

2) Punative council tax on second and subsequent homes to prevent the wealthy pricing locals out of their communities and the 1 million empty homes staying unused - a national scandal given the so-called 'shortage' of homes. To have the effect intended it will have to be punative.

3) Landlords to be limited in the number of properties they can own. When a landlord can own 700 properties in one town of 30,000, many properties are removed from the market for long periods, penalising the independent home-owning aspirations of the many in favour of the greed of the few.

4) Stamp duty threshold to be raised to the level of the average house price, and raised annually in line with house price inflation.

5) "Affordable homes" to be decent. e.g. Omitting parking now when houses have a life-span measured in hundreds of years and the cars of the future will not run on fossil fuels is extremely short-sighted. Second-class homes will be difficult to sell and harder still to resell, helping no-one.

I think the Vincent Cable / Liberal Democrat idea posted on another forum I cannot seem to locate now has some merit. Let's face it, they could do with some good news ... And a new leader will want to come up with distinctive campaign themes fairly quickly. Another option is a Labour rebel, akin to Tony Benn, but I think a party will have more staying power. The sooner we get the issue in the media, the sooner other potential FTB will wake up to the situation and delay purchase.

But if we can't do better than 150 signatures in a petition then we are truly stuffed... Was it junk? Some of these forums have several thousand viewings!

Whilst I admire your optimism, It must be said WE ALL FEEL LIKE THIS :(

But, It has to run its course. The only thing that the general public can do is STOP buying houses at the SILLY asking prices, not buy at all or Educate EVERY PERSON you know.

Do them all. You will feel better but most of all you will help trigger the crash.

HOW YOU ASK? The best trigger out of the lot SENTIMENT!

Sentiment HAS changed. Just keep plugging away at it!!

Edited by teddyboy

I used to have a T-Shirt with 2 vultures on it: "Patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something". I don't advocate killing anything but patience is not my forte and I am angry. I believe the crash has more-or-less started - the momentum has completely gone and many places are showing stagnation or price falls. However, if Nationwide's real house prices graph on the HPC homepage is anything like a reliable guide to the future, it could be another 5 years before real house prices reach their trough.

Listen please lets end these tedious threads - in any market commodities sell for what the market can bear.

I go and look at a house valued at £300K and think thats a joke you have to be a moron to buy that. I therefore choose to rent - however there appear to be a finite number of morons quite happy to part with their cash. IMO this is a gamble based on monthly affordability and not on REAL affordability.

Stop the petitions, they are not needed and the general public certainly will not want any of the reforms you are advocating - for most people relish the thought of their paper riches.

However when energy bills, interest rates and inflation start to kick in I suspect REAL affordability will become all too apparent and the endless calls for marches, petitions and even a riot (oh lord where will it end?) will not be needed as there will many more already in process (though for different reasons entirely).

Listen please lets end these tedious threads - in any market commodities sell for what the market can bear.

I go and look at a house valued at £300K and think thats a joke you have to be a moron to buy that. I therefore choose to rent - however there appear to be a finite number of morons quite happy to part with their cash. IMO this is a gamble based on monthly affordability and not on REAL affordability.

Stop the petitions, they are not needed and the general public certainly will not want any of the reforms you are advocating - for most people relish the thought of their paper riches.

However when energy bills, interest rates and inflation start to kick in I suspect REAL affordability will become all too apparent and the endless calls for marches, petitions and even a riot (oh lord where will it end?) will not be needed as there will many more already in process (though for different reasons entirely).

Well said Bemused

Housing in the UK is a free market and people are free to pay whatever they choose for a property.

Stupid people do stupid things (like paying way over the odds for houses)...but thats the essence of living in a free country, we are all allowed to do stupid things.

When the market does crash (which it will given time) you will be able to say to all the people you know who overextended themselves and were about to lose it all that they were really STUPID

The thing that does annoy me is that this government have contributed in a massive way to the HPI purely for short term political gain at the expense of long term economic stability.

Remember the mantra

"Things can only get better".."An end to boom and bust"..."Its all about fairness"

Edited by eternalnomad

I am not sure Homeless would agree with you. Unfortunately his thread seems to have been pulled. My original comment was for that forum but when I pressed the Add Reply button I had a file error and so had to start anew.

And unfortunately some of us have to pay the price or wait years because of these 'stupid people' encouraged by commission driven EA. It may be a free country but it is also a democracy with political implications. I am obviously wasting my time though: at least I learn my lessons fast.