House Price Crash Forum

9 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I'm going to get to 30,000 posts then reveal my identity, if a troll wants to come round and see me before I leave the country then I will welcome them.

fergus ?

1 hour ago, AdamoMucci said:

Just teasing :D  There is clearly an underlying affection for Venger among forum members despite possible differences. After all, any arguing here is blue on blue fire in the grand scheme of things.

Well said. 

I think we all take the view that things are insane/stupid/ridiculous but differ on how to solve it/what caused it/when or if it will ever end.

If we all agreed all the time on everyting it would possibly be the worst forum ever. 

3 hours ago, Beary McBearface said:

If you can't provide any evidence to support your assertions, why should anyone take you seriously?

As Venger has already highlighted some of us know you only as the poster who seems to have a habit of quitting on the basis of how rubbish the forum is (being certain to tell us all that on your way out) and then pretty much immediately returning and continuing to snipe at the forum*.

(As a committed troll hunter I feel honour bound to point out that were that conduct to be taken in isolation then it would fall pretty squarely into the conduct we associate with posters who live under bridges and eat goats. We all have an inner troll and we all need to keep it in check, though that's not an area where you've been excelling.)

Reading between the lines you posted some personal things on the forum and it hurt your feelings when somebody linked things those things to positions that you profess to hold and sought to explain those positions in terms of the claims you made about your circumstances.

You're not the only one whose life has been touched by sadness and loss. If you don't want people to understand you in terms of things that you regard as personal don't post them on the internet FFS.

It's just plain nutty for you to construe that sequence of events as a "betrayal of trust"; it reminds me of a Twitter comment about calling icy pavements treacherous - 'Why treacherous? It's not as if the pavements owe us any loyalty.'

If Venger hurt your feelings put Venger on ignore. If the forum, in your estimation, is a crap echo chamber then you can stop reading and posting. (Unless Venger is holding your cat hostage and forcing you to read and post against your will?) You can certainly spare us the posts where you have yet another dig at Venger by feigning concern; it makes you look daft and petty.

* You're having a field day throwing cod psychology at Venger but perhaps you ought to think about just how well your glass house is likely to stand up to any unexpected shower of incoming stones

Exactly this.  It was clearly an open forum post, and if I did requote whatever his position was, he is calling it 'a betrayal of trust' (?).  Hehe pavement. 

He can't even recall the post and expects me to dig up his proof !!  He didn't report it to Moderators but is very aggressive with blame toward me, and hurling claims of it having been an example of my abuse - while also encouraging me to quit the forum that he himself can't stop knocking down !!!

There's a bit of lashing out going on for someone being very thin-skinned imo over a little matter (that I can't recall - and if it happened I certainly expect I had a point to make) - while that same sensitivity disappears when it's about ragging on the forum itself.  Goes hard in then.  How it's so rubbish.

Another 'life-perspective' I improved upon from my reading of HPC forum - actually I think the first time I watched the video was from you linking to it from HPC. :)

And from my own notes after first watching that video:

Lol - “Hurt Feelings” - they are actually joking that you should not wallow in small knockbacks, and instead laugh-it-off / be much tougher and move on !!  Don’t feel any upset!  Rise above.

Thought Before Action / Planning / Organisation / Advice / Research

Do not get upset with
people or situations;
both are powerless without
your reaction.

8 minutes ago, adarmo said:

Ashford has pretty good links to France too. 

Coincidence? 

not much good for the warm bit. ;)

Good the V is well. Forums can take up too much time when working hard on other things. My posts are restricted to often just endorsing others rather than new ideas because of my limited time. It's a place where I learn what others are thinking and feeling...people and generations who I would not normally converse with because that's the joy of a forum....no gender/generation/race bias.  

I came here because of holocaust Ros. I stayed here because of the veterans which certainly included V. 

I knew 118'ers shortcomings...hey, I had done what they had to some extent but never felt entitled. S24 was greeted by me with initial disappointed (because I needed to adjust my plan) and then a 'well, that does seems fair'. 

Now that's developed into a passionate belief that a HPC will be a good thing. I advocate it in the pub or at work and in real life and because of my position it surprises others but makes my position on the benefits of a fall in prices convincing. 

It's a good forum. Venger an essential contributor and glad he (or she?) is fit and well.

Enjoy your RnR. ?

Edited by Pop321

Yep, happy to add my voice to the positives that Venger brings. I’ve learnt a lot in a short time from this forum and that is largely due to the collective prerequisite for intelligently evidenced opinions conveyed with passion, and you could never accuse Venger of lacking any of those.

Me, I just take the pïss out of BTLers but I wouldn’t be sticking around long if that’s all there was.

Edited by Lavalas

20 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Good to know you're well Venger.

If you are planning on buying then good luck to you.

I think we've all had enough after 10 years of this madness.

I'm going to get to 30,000 posts then reveal my identity, if a troll wants to come round and see me before I leave the country then I will welcome them.

I started off the big wait feeling 100% confident, I sometimes roughed it, but life was great because I knew great things for me were going to happen, I think they call it hope. Plus I was on really good money, I thought if the worst come to the worst I could still buy a home  just about anywhere still. As the years have been ticked off less and less options are available to me now, I am shocked even at the places I am now priced out of.

I wish I had found HPC a little earlier, I did go through a rough spell where I got very down about it all. These days even though I know so much more about money and economics while at the same time discovering I know nothing about money and economics, trust me it makes sense to me :) I now have a plan B, though it is a little late in the day, but I am now looking at Northumberland coast, big jump for me and will effect my business , but it's a plan and I could be happy in my own home there.

The biggest overriding feeling I have though is,

1. I am on good money

2. I have a nice pot saved

3. I have as secure a future as you can have these days

And I do not consider life to be easy even though I feel so blessed compared to other people. My thoughts are with people working hard who want to own their own home, how tough must some of their lives be. I suppose I always felt that, if I can barley afford something then how can anyone else possibly afford it, but they somehow do, I understand NOTHING 10 years on

15 hours ago, Beary McBearface said:

If you can't provide any evidence to support your assertions, why should anyone take you seriously?

As Venger has already highlighted some of us know you only as the poster who seems to have a habit of quitting on the basis of how rubbish the forum is (being certain to tell us all that on your way out)

afaicr, I took a break from this forum once, and it wasn't for that reason. My position is very simple - that this forum can be very hostile to newcomers who don't toe the party line, and that seems to me to diminish the value of the forum, which is better served by robust but polite debate, instead of what often look like deliberate attempts to drive people away. It's really not a particularly radical idea.

MODS, now we know Venger is wel, can you close this thread please ?

I look forward to reading some posts from aVenger in the future.

Mortgate safety net disappearing

By Wayward, December 11, 2017 in House prices and the economy

Posted December 18, 2017

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:10 AM, Venger said:

(and I think this thread has finished me off

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, Wayward said:

Hope not...or if you do drop out of here keep on campaigning and agitating against HPI injustice. raising awareness, lobbying the powerful...The distortion of the housing market in the UK over recent decades will go down in history together with the enclosure movement as a grotesque and evil deliberate transfer of wealth. Dont give up shouting to the top.

21 hours ago, AdamoMucci said:

Just teasing :D  There is clearly an underlying affection for Venger among forum members despite possible differences. After all, any arguing here is blue on blue fire in the grand scheme of things.

[NSFW]

:P

20 hours ago, Venger said:

I have learned so much from you to my gain - including so many matters away from house prices; about life and life outlook itself.

Thanks V, I would say that goes both ways ;)

I really enjoy your posts; and I have to say I also find it really helpful when you question my posts, because either you're considering something which I've overlooked, and should maybe think a bit more deeply on, or I've left open a range of meanings which were not what I actually intended.

Healthy debate increases clarity and that is all to the benefit of the forum IMO.

11 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

MODS, now we know Venger is wel, can you close this thread please ?

I look forward to reading some posts from aVenger in the future.

Troll!

12 hours ago, tomandlu said:

afaicr, I took a break from this forum once, and it wasn't for that reason. My position is very simple - that this forum can be very hostile to newcomers who don't toe the party line, and that seems to me to diminish the value of the forum, which is better served by robust but polite debate, instead of what often look like deliberate attempts to drive people away. It's really not a particularly radical idea.

Weak tea.

You want to reprimand Venger for the way Venger responded to you. You want to reprimand the forum for how it welcomes newcomers. You want "robust and polite debate".

I notice that there's no role for evidence in your vision of the forum. Homeopathic levels of empiricism in your weak tea? Robust but vapid debate which privileges your feelings over any connection to reality?

If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. If you want to trash Venger with "robust but polite" debate, then do it. There is nobody stopping you. I am encouraging you.

If all you have is gallons of weak tea then I encourage you to get that off your chest too. I'll pay it no nevermind but you might feel better if you get it off your chest. We can help you by being ready to listen and we are happy to help you by being ready to listen. You have the floor.

4 minutes ago, Beary McBearface said:

Weak tea.

You want to reprimand Venger for the way Venger responded to you. You want to reprimand the forum for how it welcomes newcomers. You want "robust and polite debate".

I notice that there's no role for evidence in your vision of the forum. Homeopathic levels of empiricism in your weak tea? Robust but vapid debate which privileges your feelings over any connection to reality?

If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. If you want to trash Venger with "robust but polite" debate, then do it. There is nobody stopping you. I am encouraging you.

If all you have is gallons of weak tea then I encourage you to get that off your chest too. I'll pay it no nevermind but you might feel better if you get it off your chest. We can help you by being ready to listen and we are happy to help you by being ready to listen. You have the floor.

Now this is what I call troll. 

7 hours ago, Beary McBearface said:

Weak tea.

He was blocked some time ago.

13 hours ago, Beary McBearface said:

I notice that there's no role for evidence in your vision of the forum.

I don't think we can observe tomandlu's entire vision. You could perhaps infer there is no role for evidence if he hasn't ever presented any. Otherwise it seems uncharitable to conclude there's no role for evidence just because he didn't mention it. I'd assume evidence was implied by "robust debate."