House Price Crash Forum

"More than a third of UK's top 100 restaurant chains are losing money"

21 hours ago, winkie said:

...tbh only thought there was the one, must have expanded......melting chocolate pudding Hmmm, there is melting chocolate pudding and there is melting chocolate pudding.....how much it costs has no relevance whatsoever to how good it is.;)

I think they started expanding a while ago, every town or city with a posh part has one now.

Agreed the cost isn't related to how good it is, just saying it's only a tad more expensive than many pubs.

That said I don't really enjoy eating out and even the fancy places will cut corners where they can to make more money.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/03/2018 at 2:45 PM, StarsEnd said:

I've tried Nandos twice, in different towns a couple of years apart. Both times absolute sh1te. First time my vege-burger was all sweaty and disgusting as was my girlfriend's chicken. Second time we were served burgers with frozen cobs and undercooked chips. All the peri-peri sauces appeared to me to be the same. I could detect no difference between the hottest and the others.

BK and McDonalds are far better and far cheaper IMO.

I like Nando’s. The environment is nice. The food tastes non dirty and you can ask for free tap water but fill up on unlimited fizzy drinks for free!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43363543

A group of restaurant bosses is warning the government it must act to avoid "damaging closures and job losses".

In a letter to Chancellor Philip Hammond, they have asked for "root and branch" reform of business rates.

The chief executive of Bills and the chairman of pub and restaurant chain Mitchells and Butlers are among the 15 who signed the letter.”

Aww yes Mitchell and Butlers - from memory their net debt was around £1.7bn. I can’t remember what their cash flow statement looked like.

5 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

Aww yes Mitchell and Butlers - from memory their net debt was around £1.7bn. I can’t remember what their cash flow statement looked like.

http://shares.telegraph.co.uk/fundamentals/?epic=MAB

The numbers started to move the right way last year, but yet another business where short term liabilities are a worrying multiple of cash flow before financing.

On 06/03/2018 at 4:02 PM, dropbear said:

I use a taste card for half price mains, along with tap water. Doing my bit to bankrupt these shitty restaurants, haha.

We do this.  Bella Pasta for a £5 main last week - perfectly ok pizza for the price and you don’t have to wash up afterwards.  Would never pay full price at a chain restaurant, if I’m paying full price I’ll go to an owner managed restaurant.

13 hours ago, Mancunian284 said:

We do this.  Bella Pasta for a £5 main last week - perfectly ok pizza for the price and you don’t have to wash up afterwards.  Would never pay full price at a chain restaurant, if I’m paying full price I’ll go to an owner managed restaurant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43371491

“The owner of High Street food chains Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia has posted a sharp increase in losses, as the UK restaurant sector comes under pressure.

Casual Dining Group said losses in the year to May 2017 increased 18% to £60m.”

I’ll have to check out the £5 pizza at Bella Italia. Losses ballooning at Casual Dining Group. Actually I’m not sure the reporting period is right as article says May 2017 and things have markedly worsened in the sector since then!

Believe it or not, Bella Italia are offering a main meal for £1 through the 3 mobile app, Wuntu. £1!! I rarely eat out in these sorts of chains unless there is a big discount. I have made use of similar deals they have done for £3 and £5. They pretty much run these deals constantly, so am not surprised to hear the group is posting losses. Other offers running simultaneously include “Paella for a pound” @ La Tasca, Burger and Chips @ Cafe Rouge for £1 or a burrito at Las Iguanas for £1. These guys are in major trouble if they are resorting to offering such discounts.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-economy/uk-consumer-spending-suffers-weakest-start-since-2012-visa-idUKKCN1GO018

"British consumers tightened their belts in February, giving the weakest start to the year since 2012, figures from payments company Visa showed on Monday, raising the prospects that the broader economy will slow in the first quarter of 2018."

Not the time to be selling non-essentials in the UK.

No suprise i live in a small market town with 21 restaurants.  So many people think owning a food outlet is easy.  It is not and peo;ple only have so much money.  

Equally, I and 3 mates rang the ,local very good curry house a few weeks ago to check that we would be ok to go in at 8>30 on a Tuesday evening andf were told we would need to be there by 7 as he was fully booked.

True enough by 8.30 there was not a spare table and the place was buzzing.  

5 hours ago, dyfarnwr said:

Believe it or not, Bella Italia are offering a main meal for £1 through the 3 mobile app, Wuntu. £1!! I rarely eat out in these sorts of chains unless there is a big discount. I have made use of similar deals they have done for £3 and £5. They pretty much run these deals constantly, so am not surprised to hear the group is posting losses. Other offers running simultaneously include “Paella for a pound” @ La Tasca, Burger and Chips @ Cafe Rouge for £1 or a burrito at Las Iguanas for £1. These guys are in major trouble if they are resorting to offering such discounts.

Thank you, will keep an eye out for those.  It’s not even worth going and buying the ingredients for those sorts of prices!