House Price Crash Forum

Itexit: Election win Euro Skeptic "Five Star" party

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No speculation from the media yet about potential coalitions. I think nobody has any clue what will happen. Seems like a complex situation. 5 Star are anti-EU and it looks like anti-EU parties have close to 60% of the vote. But 5 Star is left wing so I assume will not go into coalition with anti-EU party on the right. But they cannot go into coalition with the ruling PD surely given they are anti-establishment.

Chaos?

I was happy to sit this election out, as my ballot papers were sent to the wrong country. 

This 5 star lot are quite something: anti vaccines and pushing barely literate people as candidates as "they're one of us". 

Suddenly Brexit is no longer the EU's main concern 

3 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

I was happy to sit this election out, as my ballot papers were sent to the wrong country. 

This 5 star lot are quite something: anti vaccines and pushing barely literate people as candidates as "they're one of us". 

http://www.corriere.it/elezioni-2018/risultati-politiche/senato.shtml#map

Looking at the electoral map there is a clear north south split with centre right sweeping the north and 5 star the south.

PD got wiped out and FI came second to Lega so no chance of centre left/right grand coalition. Centre right coalition is @37%, short of the 40% needed for a majority.

I don't think 5 star after obtaining 32% of the vote can just say it will do no deals with anyone, they have to move from a protest movement to actually governing. Only combination I see satisfying 5 star ruling out established parties (PD, FI) is 5 star and Lega giving them about 350 seats in Camera with 316 needed for a majority.

Final decision will rest on what coalition deals are presented and accepted by the President after the next few weeks of horse trading between the parties.

4 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

They have the dreaded War on 2 Fronts scenario.

There was remarkably little about it on the beeb this AM. If it's anything they can spin as bad news re Brexit it's saturation coverage, even on cruddy little outposts like radio Sheffield.

I expect Brussels and theior puppet masters in Berlin to try and destabilise Italy as much as possible to force another election that can  give the 'right' result.

4 hours ago, reddog said:

The 5 star movement have said they won't go into coalition with anyone (good).

The left block won't go into coalition with the right block.

So what now?  A new election?

Keep voting until the establishment get what they want?

54 minutes ago, newbonic said:

They have the dreaded War on 2 Fronts scenario.

There was remarkably little about it on the beeb this AM. If it's anything they can spin as bad news re Brexit it's saturation coverage, even on cruddy little outposts like radio Sheffield.

I expect Brussels and theior puppet masters in Berlin to try and destabilise Italy as much as possible to force another election that can  give the 'right' result.

Auntie Pravda gave as much coverage to it as Sky News is giving to the revelations about Bradley Wiggins.

Italian polls prove again EU project ‘is not working,’ says UKIP as voters back anti-establishment

As projections show that voters in Italy are giving a cold shoulder to the ruling center-left, it’s proof yet again that the EU project is not working, UKIP said in reaction to Sunday’s poll.

UKIP’s former leader, Nigel Farage, was one of the first to congratulate his Italian “colleagues” on the poll results. “Congratulations to my colleagues in the European Parliament, Five-Star Movement, for topping the poll tonight,” the anti-EU MEP wrote, retweeting a video posted by the Five Star Movement showing its members celebrating the results projection.

https://www.rt.com/news/420462-italy-elections-reaction-ukip/

6 hours ago, reddog said:

The 5 star movement have said they won't go into coalition with anyone (good).

The left block won't go into coalition with the right block.

So what now?  A new election?

I take it you are new to Italian politics?

As an aside, good to see that crusader for the common man Silvio Berlusconi do well. A real poke in the eye for the Italian establishment... :rolleyes:

I think I am going to find an Italian house price website and spend all day telling them they are idiots for voting for the "wrong" result.

Actually - im not - because I'm not Italian and I'm not a complete ****. 

:D

48 minutes ago, ccc said:

I think I am going to find an Italian house price website and spend all day telling them they are idiots for voting for the "wrong" result.

Actually - im not - because I'm not Italian and I'm not a complete ****. 

:D

Also, house prices in Italy are reasonable...

https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/price-gdp-per-cap

Wait! How can that be the case with all the immigrants? Any fule kno that high house prices are due to high immigration... ;)

3 hours ago, Futuroid said:

Wait! How can that be the case with all the immigrants? Any fule kno that high house prices are due to high immigration... ;)

Italy population is in decline.  Down by about half a million since 2010.

Added in Edit:  sorry, the endemic population is in decline.  There has been a small increase in the total  population in recent years due to immigration (+0.07% p.a.), but compare that to UK +0.63% p.a.

Edited by kzb
1 hour ago, Futuroid said:

Different immigration. Most of Italy's immigrants are of the sub-Saharan horde variety - with no money and obviously no ability to buy a property. 

Italians fighting back in the Election:

OET4TqcIzfQuLWoyh_U2aySRfdwuMww-i2k7LhVGtvA.png?w=610&s=cc542645cd7c70ab12439cafcee5e679

Italian election explained. Millions of military-age men from Africa and the Middle East have been dumped by the UN and EU in Italy. Millions more are waiting for their boat ride to Italy. Italians saw their country being decimated, and they voted wisely.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/825b5b/italian_election_explained_millions_of/

16 minutes ago, Errol said:

Italians fighting back in the Election:

OET4TqcIzfQuLWoyh_U2aySRfdwuMww-i2k7LhVGtvA.png?w=610&s=cc542645cd7c70ab12439cafcee5e679

Italian election explained. Millions of military-age men from Africa and the Middle East have been dumped by the UN and EU in Italy. Millions more are waiting for their boat ride to Italy. Italians saw their country being decimated, and they voted wisely.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/825b5b/italian_election_explained_millions_of/

You know, this is what happens when you destabilize a country right on Europe's doorstep.

I'm very glad the UK wasn't involved in the collapse of Libya into chaos or the ongoing conflict in Syria... <_<

17 hours ago, Futuroid said:

You know, this is what happens when you destabilize a country right on Europe's doorstep.

I'm very glad the UK wasn't involved in the collapse of Libya into chaos or the ongoing conflict in Syria... <_<

Are you saying this might be our fault? That's the kind of anti-patriotic nonsense that makes us so attractive to economic migrants that love living in slums on the margins of society without hope of a future.

People are queuing up to get into the Yarl's Wood holiday village don't you know!