House Price Crash Forum

Heating advice

iamnumerate

HOLA441

Someone I know is heating a  house and the heating keeps failing, only the lounge heats up.

The lettings agencies keep sending a plumber but the work never really sticks.

What rights do they have?  I don't think, "the boiler is old, not much we can do, is acceptable".

(Although the boiler maybe old, the landlord only bought last year, so might be cash strapped, if they didn't do their sums properly. Their problem but also maybe their tenants problem, in the short term)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
8 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Not really habitable, the other rooms never heat up.

Do you know what the rights are in this case?

Unfortunately not familiar with the law, but I think there is a "fit for habitation" clause and it sounds like they are not fulfilling that. Apologies for the thin response!

HOLA445
HOLA446

I'd guess they can withold rent, but would get legal advice - either if any of them have such cover via a union, contents insurance policy, or citizens advice, or shelter. Also speak to local council housing dept, surely they must have an interest in sub-par housing, at a guess.

personally I'd think about buying a bunch of good oil filled electric radiators and deduct the cost of them from the rent, but not sure how legal that is.

I

HOLA447
11 hours ago, Si1 said:

I'd guess they can withold rent, but would get legal advice - either if any of them have such cover via a union, contents insurance policy, or citizens advice, or shelter. Also speak to local council housing dept, surely they must have an interest in sub-par housing, at a guess.

personally I'd think about buying a bunch of good oil filled electric radiators and deduct the cost of them from the rent, but not sure how legal that is.

I

Legally, I think withholding rent will put them in a worse position.

HOLA448
HOLA449
2 hours ago, Locke said:

Legally, I think withholding rent will put them in a worse position.

In practical terms yes. In theoretical terms the landlord is in breach of contract in the first place. I say this as a non legal type!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410