House Price Crash Forum

in my book yield is whatever you need it to be, plug your house price into your spreadsheet, plug in your "desired yield %" little bit of standard multiplication and BOSH theres your rent figure (divide by twelve to get a monthly figure), all things being equal, rents will rise to meet ANY shortfall the government can throw at you

write a letter to your tennants explaining if you have to but I wouldn't bother, most of my lot think Sudoku is some sort of quantum mathematics so throwing percentages at em might not be the best use of your time. just pay up and shut up, suckers!

They'll find a way round it.  

Quite a while after similar legislation came in re job applicants, a daughter was temping for a small employment agency.  She was startled to find people still asking for e.g. 'Bubbly under 25 with long legs' (to quote a real example) and pointed out to her boss that this was illegal. 

Boss just shrugged and said it was no use sending along a highly competent 40 year old when they were only going to turn her down. 

I suspect much the same will happen with rentals.  

17 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

It used to be that DSS takes a very long time to pay, is that the reason?

Would have thought  on the other hand DSS underwriting the rent meant it was a safer bet than someone in employment. Might be the case of fearing extra wear and tear from 24 hour occupation/ flat trashed.

Edited by crashmonitor
32 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

They'll find a way round it.  

Quite a while after similar legislation came in re job applicants, a daughter was temping for a small employment agency.  She was startled to find people still asking for e.g. 'Bubbly under 25 with long legs' (to quote a real example) and pointed out to her boss that this was illegal. 

Boss just shrugged and said it was no use sending along a highly competent 40 year old when they were only going to turn her down. 

I suspect much the same will happen with rentals.  

OK, after turning down Oxfam, which sector did she try next?

7 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Would have thought  on the other hand DSS underwriting the rent meant it was a safer bet than someone in employment. Might be the case of fearing extra wear and tear from 24 hour occupation/ flat trashed.

Depends what the LHA is.

Any rent above LHA can whistle.

8 hours ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

I can give  endless examples where lifestyle welfare claimants using housing benefit live in far superior housing compared to those using their monthly wage to pay rent, using all the Zen I can muster I have never entirely been able to deal with that.

Don't look in my direction lefty BBC for that much sympathy

1 hour ago, BuyToLeech said:

They take people on housing benefits because they are the highest bidder for their flat, or the only bidder for their flat.

On aggregate they can’t all choose not to take DSS without having empty houses somewhere. 

My slumlords prefer at least some tenants to be DSS because they can get a new boiler installed for free, paid by the state

1 hour ago, Bear Hug said:

My slumlords prefer at least some tenants to be DSS because they can get a new boiler installed for free, paid by the state

I have a renting friend who has done exactly that this last month. I'm pleased they've got it (esp in this weather), but their landlord must be laughing all the way to the bank

9 hours ago, inbruges said:

I can give  endless examples where lifestyle welfare claimants using housing benefit live in far superior housing compared to those using their monthly wage to pay rent, using all the Zen I can muster I have never entirely been able to deal with that.

Don't look in my direction lefty BBC for that much sympathy

Been there, done that. To add insult to injury, they are legally entitled to minimum number of bedrooms, depending on age and gender of kids, whereas, having been outbid, the wife and I ended up on a pullout in the sitting room at one point. It is hard to not feel a bit annoyed when you put up with substandard accommodation, which is all you can afford after tax - tax which HB recipients recipients use to outbid you. Thanks Obama.