House Price Crash Forum

Darkest Hour

Mrs Bear

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
48 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Absolutely right. It was hard to believe that it wasn’t really Churchill. 

TBH I'm hopeless with actors' names etc..  I knew the name (GO) but couldn't place him.  Googled him after we got home and just couldn't believe it. 

That's a real actor for you!  Talk about a tour de force....

I don't think Mr B was mad keen on seeing this one, but he went along with me and was equally bowled over. 

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
On 24/02/2018 at 7:24 PM, debtlessmanc said:

Seen the trailer looks amazing. Look at the reviews on rottentomatoes. Americans saying that there were 10 min standing ovations at the end of the movie. 

Meanwhile on YouTube endless posts that he was a vile racist and we should not be celebrating him. 

I don't know about the racism thing but it wouldn't surprise me - it was common enough in his generation, if not the norm.  He was from long-past  era and IMO it's a bit daft or naive to judge by today's standards.  IIRC  as a young soldier he took part  in the very last cavalry charge, which is about as past-era as you can get for anyone who's still remembered as a living person, by anyone still alive today.  

HOLA448
1 hour ago, Mrs Bear said:

I don't know about the racism thing but it wouldn't surprise me - it was common enough in his generation, if not the norm.  He was from long-past  era and IMO it's a bit daft or naive to judge by today's standards.  IIRC  as a young soldier he took part  in the very last cavalry charge, which is about as past-era as you can get for anyone who's still remembered as a living person, by anyone still alive today.  

They've been censoring "The dam busters" for years on TV, although the grave of Guy Gibson's dog, complete with headstone, is still tended at RAF Scampton.

HOLA449
5 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

They've been censoring "The dam busters" for years on TV, although the grave of Guy Gibson's dog, complete with headstone, is still tended at RAF Scampton.

Presumably because the dog was called the N word that rhymes with Bigger?  

I love the DamBusters March.  Very  memorably played when we were in a packed Mall on a Jubilee Day, and it was played as a Lancaster flew overhead!  (Before the good old Red Arrows).  Funnily enough we weren't going to go at all, but a daughter who was there with friends phoned to say what a great atmosphere it was, why were  we sitting at home like a couple of boring old farts?  So we went and joined her.  

HOLA4410

I seem to be in the minority.... The director couldn't seem to make up his mind on Churchill's physical condition. At some points he seemed to struggle to get out of a bed/chair, at points he was racing around Westminster at a rate that I would find hard to keep up!

I also didn't think the phone call to Rooseveldt rung true. It simply wasn't in the man to be the beta male!

HOLA4411
50 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

I seem to be in the minority.... The director couldn't seem to make up his mind on Churchill's physical condition. At some points he seemed to struggle to get out of a bed/chair, at points he was racing around Westminster at a rate that I would find hard to keep up!

I also didn't think the phone call to Rooseveldt rung true. It simply wasn't in the man to be the beta male!

I have read that Churchill was prone to bouts of depression - he nicknamed it his 'Black Dog', when he could be very lethargic. But with a carrier that spanned journalist, historian, soldier, Home Secretary, 1st Sea Lord, Chancellor, Prime Minister, victorious War Leader and frequent political rebel, he must have had periods of intense energy. I have not seen the film yet.

HOLA4412
38 minutes ago, onlooker said:

I have read that Churchill was prone to bouts of depression - he nicknamed it his 'Black Dog', when he could be very lethargic. But with a carrier that spanned journalist, historian, soldier, Home Secretary, 1st Sea Lord, Chancellor, Prime Minister, victorious War Leader and frequent political rebel, he must have had periods of intense energy. I have not seen the film yet.

i downloaded the blu-ray and apart from gary oldmans conversion to WC  i would have been bored stiff in the cinema.  hype hype hype. 

HOLA4413
22 minutes ago, longgone said:

i downloaded the blu-ray and apart from gary oldmans conversion to WC  i would have been bored stiff in the cinema.  hype hype hype. 

Agreed. I can't remember who he was discussing at the time, but his comment that (while on the cludgie) he could only "deal with one $hit at a time" was the highlight of the movie.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, onlooker said:

I've managed to get about halfway through Roy Hattersley's biography twice now, and yes, he did suffer from depression it seems, but he wasn't bi-polar.

Funnily enough, he was ridiculed during his long stint as MP for Dundee because he was seen being carried around in a sedan chair! I believe he was ill at the time.

p.s. He was replaced by Scrimgeour, who stood on a prohibition ticket. You would have thought that was the ultimate slap in the face, but he actually came 4th in that election... a slap for both cheeks!

HOLA4416

I was doubtful with the tube train journey. Having spent a goodly portion of my life in London, I know that journey takes a minute or two.

The other thing to realise is that most Londoners had no real wish for the war to start with. Conversations I had over the years with those who lived through the war made that clear.

To be fair, they all seemed to sing Churchill’s praises for eventually galvanising people to action. So the tube scene seems to have been scripted for the film, not historical accuracy.....so what’s new...

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
On 27/02/2018 at 4:29 PM, AThirdWay said:

I've managed to get about halfway through Roy Hattersley's biography twice now, and yes, he did suffer from depression it seems, but he wasn't bi-polar.

Funnily enough, he was ridiculed during his long stint as MP for Dundee because he was seen being carried around in a sedan chair! I believe he was ill at the time.

p.s. He was replaced by Scrimgeour, who stood on a prohibition ticket. You would have thought that was the ultimate slap in the face, but he actually came 4th in that election... a slap for both cheeks!

You’re much better reading Churchill’s own autobiographies: “My Early Life” and “Their Finest Hour”. Excellent books. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
4 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I still remember my father's reaction of shock and disbelief at the news of Churchill's death. He had been a larger than life figure to that generation.

I remember getting the day off school to watch his state funeral. Reminded me of that other hero,Nelson’s, or Queen Victoria’s. 

HOLA4424
4 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I still remember my father's reaction of shock and disbelief at the news of Churchill's death. He had been a larger than life figure to that generation.

Mine too. I can just about remember being taken to the lying in state.  

Also my father (ex RN, N Atlantic convoys) saying, 'He wasn't a man in a million.  He was a man in a million years.'  

Seems so extreme now, to anyone who never had to wonder whether we really were going to end up under the jackboot..

HOLA4425
7 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Mine too. I can just about remember being taken to the lying in state.  

Also my father (ex RN, N Atlantic convoys) saying, 'He wasn't a man in a million.  He was a man in a million years.'  

Seems so extreme now, to anyone who never had to wonder whether we really were going to end up under the jackboot..

none of my older family mentioned churchill, but they all said that Hitler had to be resisted even if it meant the end of the empire even us etc, Churchill articulated that. The German plans for the invasion of Britain included the deportation of all men 20-40 from the UK to concentration camps, just think about that when you view that generations actions.

Archived