House Price Crash Forum

Sudden stratospheric warming lengthy cold snap to UK

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Errol said:

Britain set for -7C lows TONIGHT as 'prolonged' two week chill begins after Arctic freeze flies in from the north then Siberian winds sweep in from the east

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5412489/Britain-set-7C-TONIGHT-prolonged-chill-begins.html

Tonight (in the apparently frozen north, near Manchester) there's a whole 5 degrees forecast on the Met office site. Lowest it gets in the next week is -4. That comes with a max of 1 during the day, which is a bit chilly, but, well, enitrely normal winter weather. Saturday looks cold and sunny, might be nice to go out then.

1 minute ago, Errol said:

Britain set for -7C lows TONIGHT as 'prolonged' two week chill begins after Arctic freeze flies in from the north then Siberian winds sweep in from the east

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5412489/Britain-set-7C-TONIGHT-prolonged-chill-begins.html

The other one to notice is how radio and news bulletins will give a figure like this as a blanket statement, whereas usually the proviso is -7 in exposed highland mountainsides, around +10 in Truro and the Scily Isles. I hear this all the time, stick my head outside and think "it's quite mild. It's not -7."

I would actually like it to be -7 tonight here so I can finally say "ah, maybe I'm just imagining this media thing".

Like I say, I find the backbeat to all these extreme media and political machinations about weather reporting to be fully behind the climate change policy (not the science, the political hijacking of climate science). Yet.... apart from energy efficiency reports, they haven't come after the homeowner yet in quite the same way as the business or motorist. Yet.

1 hour ago, rantnrave said:

This feels like an Off-topic thread. I was expecting a morbid discussion about a sharp cold snap leading to more houses for sale...

Well I was wondering if the house next door to you might be coming to market.

The lady hasn't been around to check on you or put her bins out for a fortnight.

Any unpleasant smells emanating from her letterbox?

19 hours ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

The world has changed a lot since 1987. Never have so few attempted to support so many.

What will the old folks do if they are cut off for two weeks? 

Stop voting Brexit, .....permanently!

Russia clearly to blame again. This is an act of war and should not go unanswered:

Britain braces for the coldest day in FIVE YEARS next week as freezing Russian winds bring -10C lows and the threat of snow hitting ANYWHERE in the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5420979/Britain-set-coldest-air-FIVE-YEARS.html

Edited by Errol

The link is a useful cumulative average for the year for Central England. Although it compares this year with the mini ice age running from 1961-1990...when we got no less than three big freeze in 1963, 1979 and 1986 exceeding anything we have experienced in the 21st century. Guess it gives alarming comparisons re. global warming though, nice selection met office.

Anyway January was 5.3c (1.5c above that 30 year slot)

February is 4.0c (0.4 above...yep it's apparently been a warm February so far)

To 20th February from the start of the year we are a degree above that thirty year slot. We need a big freeze now to get us back to par by the end of March.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

Edited by crashmonitor

Downloaded the data from here: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/data/download.html

Intersting to see the bigger picture. Feb still not as warm as it was in 1779 but definatley less snow though than when I was a kid in the 70s. Apparently a low solar cycle for the next 10 years will put us back to the 70s or perhaps cooler. I wish TPTB would focus on pollution and waste rather than fake carbon predictions to generate taxes that simply result in the most dirty industries moving into countries with no environmental regulation and cause even more harm to the planet. Hypocrites the lot of them.

Capture.PNG

On 2/20/2018 at 1:40 PM, happyguy said:
"Noallegiance said:

See Brexit thread..."

No the vote was over 18 months  ago I have moved on 

You might be fed up with it and others but unless people give a stuff , keep the pressure on and pay attention to what is going on, we won't leave at all. It could be leaving the EU in name only. There are so many vested interests who want that to happen.

4 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

You might be fed up with it and others but unless people give a stuff , keep the pressure on and pay attention to what is going on, we won't leave at all. It could be leaving the EU in name only. There are so many vested interests who want that to happen.

Like Angela Merkel said non-exit Brexit.

8 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

There's keeping up with it, and there's the Brexit thread.

I witness more accomplished arguments between my 3 & 4 year old over which car they should have. Hissy fits included.

19 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

The link is a useful cumulative average for the year for Central England. Although it compares this year with the mini ice age running from 1961-1990...when we got no less than three big freeze in 1963, 1979 and 1986 exceeding anything we have experienced in the 21st century. Guess it gives alarming comparisons re. global warming though, nice selection met office.

To 20th February from the start of the year we are a degree above that thirty year slot. We need a big freeze now to get us back to par by the end of March.

interesting....

if you do a search on john casey, this is what he predicted to start again from 2016 and it was cold last winter - as for global warming a load of tosh!:o

20 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

There was a very cold period rather early on maybe 4-5 years ago. November onwards i think. Masses of snow and temperatures of -25 or so up here in Jockland. 

Lasted for about 4-6 weeks iirc. 

Not sure how that compares to your three examples above but must have been in the same ballpark. 

1 hour ago, ccc said:

There was a very cold period rather early on maybe 4-5 years ago. November onwards i think. Masses of snow and temperatures of -25 or so up here in Jockland. 

Lasted for about 4-6 weeks iirc. 

Not sure how that compares to your three examples above but must have been in the same ballpark. 

You're are right ccc, 2009/10 winter was the coldest in living memory for Scotland surpassing 62/3. For the UK as a whole it ranks fourth since 62/3...I don't have a day/night mean for 85/6 but the Met office refers to 2009/10 winter being slightly warmer than 85/6 in the final summary.

1. 1962/3..0.0c (three month mean)

2.1978/9..1.2c

3.1985/6..?

4.2009/10..1.6c

Can't seem to find a straight forward ranker table and have had to come up with mine by extrapolation. It would be interesting to know what the winter of 81/2 was when parts of the Thames briefly froze and Lewis Colins was shooting his scenes for Who Dares Wins in a frozen Regents Park:wacko:. Regents Park is nearly always green in winter these days.

Edited by crashmonitor