House Price Crash Forum

Daily Mail says high-end housing bubble has burst

Obviously the Mail likes to generate hysterical clickbait headlines, but nice to see 'Price nearly halves on one of Britain's most expensive homes from £37.5m to £20m as high-end housing bubble bursts' 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5405583/Price-nearly-halves-one-UKs-expensive-homes.html

I remain unconvinced whether the cheaper end of London will see anything similar. Too many people and too few properties. But fingers crossed...

Edited by Tempus
11 hours ago, Tempus said:

Obviously the Mail likes to generate hysterical clickbait headlines, but nice to see 'Price nearly halves on one of Britain's most expensive homes from £37.5m to £20m as high-end housing bubble bursts' 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5405583/Price-nearly-halves-one-UKs-expensive-homes.html

I remain unconvinced whether the cheaper end of London will see anything similar. Too many people and too few properties. But fingers crossed...

What about the thousands of small flats either empty or still being built... Their asking prices will very quickly drop and become the new cheaper end of the market.

16 hours ago, Tempus said:

4 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

What about the thousands of small flats either empty or still being built... Their asking prices will very quickly drop and become the new cheaper end of the market.

I Agree with Mr Popcorn. Don't believe the 'supply and demand' propaganda.

There is always a demand....always will be. 

It is the 0.5% rates, QE, Help to Buy, Stamp Duty Holidays that determine the price.

80's 90's 00's people have always scraped together (at a massive push with overtime etc) all they could for a house/flat....and that is what people will pay. Ie everything they can afford. But if not supported by wages will eventually drop back to a price that can be supported. Just waiting for the government to stop propping things up or being able to prop things up. WHEN that happens is trickier to predict ?

18 hours ago, Tempus said:

I remain unconvinced whether the cheaper end of London will see anything similar. Too many people and too few properties.   Too many PREDATORY LIAR LOANS.  But fingers crossed....   in vain....

Corrected for accuracy.

Edited by eric pebble
21 hours ago, eric pebble said:

Corrected for accuracy.

Liar loans as handed out to speculators who have been the main prop of so called lower end property in the last decade or more.  If liar loans stop for speculators then the whole market may collapses from the bottom as well as the top,,, we hope.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2018 at 7:35 AM, steve99 said:

Liar loans as handed out to speculators who have been the main prop of so called lower end property in the last decade or more.  If liar loans stop for speculators then the whole market may collapses from the bottom as well as the top,,, we hope.

Absolutely right.  LIAR LOANS were - and are - THE KEY to the WHOLE hpi phenomenon:

Without Petrol/Diesel -- a car can't operate;

Without PREDATORY LIAR LOANS - the WHOLE thing couldn't have happened.

It makes me SICK how this isn't properly acknowledged.  

The ENTIRE hpi phenomenon -- along with the 2008/9 "crash" --- ALL due to PREDATORY LIAR LOANS.

Edited by eric pebble
3 hours ago, eric pebble said:

Absolutely right.  LIAR LOANS were - and are - THE KEY to the WHOLE hpi phenomenon:

Without Petrol/Diesel -- a car can't operate;

Without PREDATORY LIAR LOANS - the WHOLE thing couldn't have happened.

It makes me SICK how this isn't properly acknowledged.  

The ENTIRE hpi phenomenon -- along with the 2008/9 "crash" --- ALL due to PREDATORY LIAR LOANS.

SO TRUE....bumping this so it says on 1st page!

Wait until “Oh Jeremy Corbyn” starts seizing empty foreign owned property!

Top London properties (£10m plus will drop by 80%).

Everything previously built by the Candy’s et al will be next to unsellable over the next 4 years due to threat of being seized!

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein
11 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Wait until “Oh Jeremy Corbyn” starts seizing empty foreign owned property!

Top London properties (£10m plus will drop by 80%).

Everything previously built by the Candy’s et al will be next to unsellable over the next 4 years due to threat of being seized!

Mmm......   I am sorry to say -- Corbyn may have "good" intentions -- but - just as Niu Labia failed miserably under Bliar & Idiot-Brown --- Corbyn won't deal with the real problem -- he will be quickly drowning in a sea of incompetence within a few weeks of gaining "power" - if such a thing ever happens....   Labia have been - & always will be - useless. 

26 minutes ago, eric pebble said:

Mmm......   I am sorry to say -- Corbyn may have "good" intentions -- but - just as Niu Labia failed miserably under Bliar & Idiot-Brown --- Corbyn won't deal with the real problem -- he will be quickly drowning in a sea of incompetence within a few weeks of gaining "power" - if such a thing ever happens....   Labia have been - & always will be - useless. 

Eric, I am so happy to see a reply post from you!

i know you have been about, but I am just sure you’ve been less prolific since the real heyday of HPC. Just made my day!

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein
On 18/02/2018 at 3:13 PM, Tempus said:

Look at this way, there would of been people who say were looking at £20m properties who can now look at what used to close to £40m, and then when the £20m people get more for their money the houses that used to go for £20m have to start looking towards people who only have £15m,  and then the houses that used to go for £15m .............................. You get the point, it hopefully reaches the lower end.

Then something else kicks in that I am willing to bet that not 10% of HPC's can relate to or ever truly imagine, that feeling of an asset that gets a true feeling/sentiment of falling and then it takes on a life of it's own, nobody believes that prices can possibly rise, that's the day I dream of constantly

• 5 months later...
On 07/03/2018 at 06:57, inbruges said:

Look at this way, there would of been people who say were looking at £20m properties who can now look at what used to close to £40m, and then when the £20m people get more for their money the houses that used to go for £20m have to start looking towards people who only have £15m,  and then the houses that used to go for £15m .............................. You get the point, it hopefully reaches the lower end.

Then something else kicks in that I am willing to bet that not 10% of HPC's can relate to or ever truly imagine, that feeling of an asset that gets a true feeling/sentiment of falling and then it takes on a life of it's own, nobody believes that prices can possibly rise, that's the day I dream of constantly

We've all been dreaming of that day, inbruges.  

Have you noticed -- the Property PR machine is going into overdrive right now - talking up pwopertee WHENEVER it can --- at EVERY possible opportunity.  It is a very well-oiled machine, as we all know.

Are they going to be able to PR the drops in "prices" -- and talk then up again?

Let's see.   I no longer hold out any particular hopes.  The last 10-15+ years have taught me that.  Just don't hold out any hope.

9 hours ago, eric pebble said:

We've all been dreaming of that day, inbruges.  

Have you noticed -- the Property PR machine is going into overdrive right now - talking up pwopertee WHENEVER it can --- at EVERY possible opportunity.  It is a very well-oiled machine, as we all know.

Are they going to be able to PR the drops in "prices" -- and talk then up again?

Let's see.   I no longer hold out any particular hopes.  The last 10-15+ years have taught me that.  Just don't hold out any hope.

Driving back from Northumberland the other night and was listening to BBC 4 radio, they had an idiots guide to economics for some reason in the early hours which after listen to the Edinburgh fringe I thought might be a bit if a giggle.

They got onto the subject of inflation and in a child like way explained it, the bit that got me was when they talked about why prices become so high of any type of goods and did so in a way that in part made these people sound like criminals that caused it, deliberate low stock and high demand etc, basically saying people without money had to go without as those with thought like rats in a sack and outbid each other. At that point I wondered if any of them realised they were now explaining the UK property market perfectly.